Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The vet suggested fish oil for Bella's excessive dander. Are you guys giving your bullies whole capsules or are you breaking the capsules over kibble. I'm finding the later quite messy. Is there an easy was to open these capsules?

Oh, here's a Bella picture for your troubles. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 126

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I use extra virgin olive oil, But you can put a pin hole in the capsule and squeeze it out.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I have EVOO. Does that have the same benefits as fish oil?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I used to use salmon oil, I bought it in a liquid form, but my female Blossom is allergic to it, so I switched to Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil Versus Fish Oils

They both are better your dogs health so which do you use for your pet and why?
Tell us your experience with oils. Here is a comparison of the top 2 used for bulldogs.

COCONUT OIL

Coconut oil consists of more than 90% saturated fats, with traces of few unsaturated fatty acids, such as monounsaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids. Most of the saturated fats in coconut oil are Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). The main component (more than 40%) of MCTs is lauric acid, followed by capric acid, caprylic acid, myristic acid and palmitic. Coconut oil also contains about 2% linoleic acid (polyunsaturated fatty acids) and about 6% oleic acid (monounsaturated fatty acids). Coconut oil is higher in Lauric acid than most foods. The only other abundant source found in nature is breast milk. Lauric acid plays a large role in keeping infants from getting viral, bacterial and protozoal infections.
In much the same way, coconut oil can help your dog with specific ailments and contribute to overall health. Capric and caprylic acid have similar properties and are best known for their anti-fungal effects.

BENEFITS

Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis, and itchy skin
Reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health
Can also help protect your dog against skin cancer and reduce age spots
Makes coats become sleek and glossy, and deodorizes doggy odor
Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections, including candida
Disinfects cuts and promotes wound healing
Applied topically, promotes the healing of cuts, wounds, hot spots, dry skin and hair, bites and stings
Improves digestion and nutrient absorption
Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome and colitis
Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing
Immune System, Metabolic Function, Bone Health such as preventing osteoporosis
Contains powerful antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal agents that prevent infection and disease
Regulates and balance insulin and promotes normal thyroid function
Helps prevent or control diabetes
Helps reduce weight, increases energy
Aids in arthritis or ligament problems

VS

FISH OIL
Has omega3 fatty acids and these omega-3 fatty acids come in more than one form. The types found in fish, called DHA and EPA, seem to have the strongest health benefits. It is said that the omega 3 are fragile and likely wont survive in bags of kibble or maybe rancid before adding it so giving it yourself maybe a better option. Krill oil and whole fish also provide EPA and DHA that may be better absorbed, providing similar benefits in smaller doses.

BENEFITS

Reducing inflammation due to conditions such as arthritis, allergies, and inflammatory bowel disease.
Regulating the immune system, boosting those that are suppressed and calming overactive immune systems for dogs with allergies or autoimmune diseases.
Aiding in mental development of fetuses and puppies, and improving cognitive function in older dogs.
Lowering blood pressure and triglycerides.
Providing support for dogs with kidney disease, heart disease, and cancer.
Promoting weight loss in overweight dogs.
Decreased shedding
Adds moisture to dry, irritated skin
May be used to enhance your pet's appetite by adding an appealing fish flavor
Reduced Joint Discomfort
Renewed Energy
Keeping Blood Triglycerides in Check

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I feed fish oil, but it's liquid in a bottle and I just mix it with their food(raw). I tried cononut oil, but Usko won't touch that stuff, so I mix it with my porridge.

Smashers

Jan 19, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
I use fish oil capsules. Best way I have found to give them to Smash is to cut the pill in half with scissors over his food dish. Just need a towel handy to wipe the scissors after your done.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.