hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi guys!!

As some of you know, Matilda is actually my service dog/heart monitor and we travel quite a bit.

We take her regular wire crate when traveling by car, but I leave it at home when we fly. It's just too heavy!

She does just fine in a hotel without her crate, but I still would like something to make her more comfortable. She is absolutely obsessed with her crate and hates when we leave it behind.

I was looking into a collapsible, soft, tent crate that would be easy to fly with on a plane - ideally I could squish it into my suitcase. All the ones I've found seem nice, but have metal bars that make them heavier. Matilda is way past her chewing phase and really doesn't need any kind of cage anymore, so just something soft and foldable would be perfect.

Any ideas? She's about 60 lbs.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have NO suggestions on the collapsible crate, but I had NO idea that Matilda was your service dog… that is AWESOME!!! :w00t: So GOOD to see you again Holly, hope all is well w/you guys!!!

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I have NO suggestions on the collapsible crate, but I had NO idea that Matilda was your service dog… that is AWESOME!!! :w00t: So GOOD to see you again Holly, hope all is well w/you guys!!!

YES! She finished school last year! I have a heart problem that makes me faint and she alerts me about 5 minutes ahead of time! That was actually why I got a dog (and I adore them, of course) was to see if this kind of training would help me! It's been a life saver.

And thank you guys, I didn't see these crates on Amazon!! All the other ones were really big, thank you!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
T405218_P
On dogdotcom fold to 2" thick [MENTION=5755]hnhammond[/MENTION]

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
YES! She finished school last year! I have a heart problem that makes me faint and she alerts me about 5 minutes ahead of time! That was actually why I got a dog (and I adore them, of course) was to see if this kind of training would help me! It's been a life saver.

And thank you guys, I didn't see these crates on Amazon!! All the other ones were really big, thank you!

WOW that is amazing, I'm sorry about your heart condition… that must be so very scary!!! Does she go to work w/you?!!

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I have no experience with the tent crate but I did buy Canelo a collapsible play pen (aka the octagon) which we found out in under an hour wasn't going to work, he discovered how to flip it, the stinker. Now he was under 4 months and full of energy at the time. I imagine your baby is calm and will respect the kennel but I do have a mental image of it being rolled into a different position and location in the hotel room, lol. I think you should give it a try. Here are some pics of my little terror and his octagon.

ac504591cdbbf2d8066d37b8551bb35d.jpg
e2a4a936b6a944608876079347d8e39a.jpg
4188769acc9ff26624b67296695731fa.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
WOW that is amazing, I'm sorry about your heart condition… that must be so very scary!!! Does she go to work w/you?!!

Eh, it's okay, I don't have it as badly as some people. I usually have a few seconds to put myself on the ground before I faint. But the 5 min warning I get from Til makes a HUGE difference. I don't take her absolutely everywhere, it just depends on whether it's more difficult than helpful to bring her! hahaha sometimes I'd rather just faint and deal with it then bring everything to accommodate 60 lbs of bulldog in a super crowded area! But it's especially useful at home when I'm alone, so at least I can lay down with plenty of time and not risk a head injury.

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I have no experience with the tent crate but I did buy Canelo a collapsible play pen (aka the octagon) which we found out in under an hour wasn't going to work, he discovered how to flip it, the stinker. Now he was under 4 months and full of energy at the time. I imagine your baby is calm and will respect the kennel but I do have a mental image of it being rolled into a different position and location in the hotel room, lol. I think you should give it a try. Here are some pics of my little terror and his octagon.

Oh God, those pics are so great! :D Til would have EATEN that entire pen at that age. She was a little terror! But yes, she's now 2 and a half and calm and knows to just chew her own toys!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.