Vegas just got back from the Vet

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has been doing his booty scoot the last few nights on the area rug, so I knew it was time for an anal gland expression and took him to our vet today.

The vet sticks his finger in, then starts shoving his finger in, all the while Vegas is literally crying!! The Vet did this for almost a full minute and I was scared so I ask if something was wrong...Out comes a ROCK!!! and blood in his finger :eek::eek:

Vegas actually had a ROCK stuck in his anus the size of a small marble!!! His :poo: has been normal, and regular the last 3 days so I ask the Vet would he have pooped it out? :confused: The Vet said "No it was lodged in his gland" :eek:

His anal glands were actually clean, poor Vegas cried like a baby, and ohhh the smell!! :eek: We came home he took a huge :poo: and is quietly resting in his crate, poor thing!! The things he eats!! I bully-mouth fish just about every day, I missed this one.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
OMG Kelly that is awful! Poor Vegas! These stories you tell about your vet visits and his anal gland expressions remind me how happy I am that they do that to Samson in private! I've never seen it being done and I'm good with that because I don't want to see them violate my little boy :(

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION], I have went in every time and although he hates it he usually gives a quick yip and it over, today he literally was crying, it was so sad!! The Doc. had to literally dig it out. As bad as it is and I HATE seeing him violated, but I know it is for his own good. What gets you is the SMELL!!! :eek:It is like poo juice that comes out it takes ALOT to make me queasy or gag, and on a level from 1-10 my gag was on 9.9 today :barf: I didn't... but I felt my throat closing shut. I didn't ask but I bet eventually he could have gotten an infection had we not found it. So as horrific as it was for Vegas, he is now stone free!

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
That is nasty. I tell Vets earn every dollar
they make. I could never do that.

Glad Vegas id all better now.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have went in every time and although he hates it he usually gives a quick yip and it over, today he literally was crying, it was so sad!! The Doc. had to literally dig it out. As bad as it is and I HATE seeing him violated, but I know it is for his own good. What gets you is the SMELL!!! :eek:It is like poo juice that comes out it takes ALOT to make me queasy or gag, and on a level from 1-10 my gag was on 9.9 today :barf: I didn't... but I felt my throat closing shut. I didn't ask but I bet eventually he could have gotten an infection had we not found it. So as horrific as it was for Vegas, he is now stone free!

Poor Vegas! I'm sure he would have gotten an infection eventually, I can see that, glad you got him in there! How often does Vegas need it done? I know it smells terrible, Samson needs it done about every 2 months and when its getting to that 2 month mark I can just smell it at certain times on him. AND sometimes it gets messy or they don't do a good job cleaning him up after and when he comes out it smells like some of those juices got on him so I just always plan for a bath once we get home. Definitely needs to be done though. Not sure how Samson reacts in the process but they always tell me he is a good boy about it so it can't be too terrible. Or he is just used to it by now, he's been getting it down since he was like 6-8 months old so for over 4 years now every 2 months.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION], Vegas is like Samson, about every 2 months sometimes less never more than, and I can tell because he starts the scooting across the area rug dance. How much does your vet charge to do this, I am understanding that Samson gets an internal as well? [MENTION=1621]bfletch13[/MENTION], I have the best Vet in the world!! He loves his job, not the money, He charges $8.00 to do an internal expression, external is only 5 but Vegas always has to get the internal

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Oh, poor Vegas! I'm curious... When did you have to start getting his anal glands expressed? So far I don't have to do this with my girls. Do they develope this later on? I keep thinking I'm so lucky to not have to deal with some of these things, but is it just because they're too young? I'm having a heart attack at the thoughts of Ida's red chin being allergies! :eek: Do I have this to look forward to too?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] Wow you get it done cheap! For me it's like $12 on sundays which is their like "vaccine clinic day" where vaccines, anal gland expressions, nail trim, etc is discounted. Any other day its like $20. This is also California though where everything seems to be more expensive than other places and I do not go to a cheap vet, it's one of those state-of-the-art everything kind of places and in an affluent area so it's definitely not the cheapest option! And I don't know what kind of expression it is, I have never gotten an option between internal or external. I didn't even know there were different ways of doing it until you mentioned it.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] Some dogs never need it, some need it regularly like Vegas and Sam. It's not a breed specific thing, my mother-in-law's doxies needed it but not her labs. I know Cali~jenns pug Mugsy needs it done as often as Sam and Vegas. I discovered it needing to be done because like Vegas he started scooting his butt on the floor. Thats how my mother-in-law knows her doxie Doodle is due, she starts dragging her booty on the carpet.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION], Not All dogs have to have it done, the anal glands express on there own when a dog poos, but unfortanatly Vegas's does not completely express so he gets itchy butt and has to go about every 6-7 weeks and get it done. I had no idea what it even was until Vegas was going crazy scooting his butt all over my area rug and I think I posted on this site and ask about his strange behavior and was told to have it checked out and sure enough it was. He probably will always have to have it done. [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] yes there are two ways one they kind of massage the anus and it will come out they tried this first on vegas and couldn't get anything out, and the other way (Vegas) Doc. actually has to stick his finger in and release his glands.

Last edited:

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
AW! Poor Vegas! Just glad the vet found the rock before things got infected!

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
oh..the poor baby!!!! Honestly, I did not know that something could get stuck in that gland, if it were swallowed. Yuck!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
aggghhhh poor baby. I am so glad the vet was able to get it out. Vegas needs some extra love :luv:(hug) today. I have to bully mouth fish daily as well. I am certain I don't get everything :(

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] i am not familiar with this particular affliction with the anal gland (sans rock, lol), what should i look out for or pay attention to in case this happens to Bear? Does it happen to all bullies or is it connected with another ailment?

Last edited:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
OMG! Poor Vegas! That is awful! I have never had to have that done for Silva but as a nurse I have had to do some pretty gross things that would probably make you :barf:!!! :lol:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.