Bed for cold nights?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Now we have a slight problem here. Lately, Castor has been getting up in the middle of the night, and whereas he can sleep all day, we cannot, of course, so we need to get him to sleep all night. Same pattern most nights lately: he sleeps well in his bed outside our bedroom until 4 or 5 am, when he gets up and comes in to our bedroom. He just stands by my bed until I wake up, and I get up and fetch his bed and put it next to mine. This has always worked before if he has woken up (he would just lie down and go back to sleep within a minute or two), but now he just sits in his bed and puts his chin on my bed, often with a front paw on my hand. He does not seem scared, and he doesn't want to go out, but we're quite sure he'd like to come up on our bed. We're not keen on that so we're looking for other options.

Although it's not terribly cold here, it's been very windy lately and there is often a draft on the floor, so in his bed, it might well be a bit chilly. Castor has a plastic basket bed with a couple of fleece blankets and a big towel. That has worked well so far but he might need something a bit more cosy and warm.

So what kind of bed should we look for? Those of you who live in cold climate, what types of beds do your dogs have?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just bought Roxie the big barker orthopedic bed… it's ungodly expensive, but she absolutely LOVES HER BED!!! It uses her body heat to radiate warmth, but I got Walter a large cup style bed that has fleece on one side. I will try and tag a pic for you...

800443956342C.jpg

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just bought Roxie the big barker orthopedic bed… it's ungodly expensive, but she absolutely LOVES HER BED!!! It uses her body heat to radiate warmth, but I got Walter a large cup style bed that has fleece on one side. I will try and tag a pic for you...

View attachment 82922

Yes!! Buster has the same, if I could afford one for us I would buy one. He LOVES it, my wife can actually curl up and get in it and he just stands looking very confused hahahaha!!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber has a blanket she drags around the house throughout the winter. She drags it from room to room with her; it starts out on the sofa everyday and she drags it off and around. At night she sleeps on it until she gets up then we are back to dragging it around. Ruby sleeps with our daughter but Amber refuses to behave in bed so she gets the sofa. Good luck.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
well im guilty of letting bella sleep with us i gripe about it every single night to bc she lays on my covers and i feel trapped on one side haha but if she wasnt down there i probably wouldn't sleep well. she does have two beds of her own one in living room and one in our room.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can't help... we gave in to them sleeping with us 11 years ago... so our bed is the right place for them.

Hope you find a nice toasty bed for the handsome fella

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Bocephus has several beds. One of his favorites is his bagel bed and they are on sale at Amazon all the time

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
I found this bed at Tuesday Mornings a year ago for 35 bucks! Farley LOVES it. Actually all my dogs love it. But for a 50 lb bulldog this really fits him well. He loves to rest his chin up on the arms and back of the bed. And it has zippers so you can take the arm rolls out and wash the cover and cushion easily. This is what it looks like online... Luxurious Faux Linen Dog Sofa | Wayfair and this is Farley sleeping in his bed below.

photo (82) - Copy.JPG

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
We have tried bed after bed for George and like some others, we gave up because he loves to be in the bed with us. Hope you have some luck and find the right fit for Castor!!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you so much for your suggestions and for sharing your experience.

I think we'll have to take Castor to a pet store and let him choose a bed! A soft, round, padded, and possibly roofed one seems to be what we should be looking for. I've been thinking of getting a sheep's skin too as that would probably be warm and cosy.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
We live in Los Angeles, so it's never too cold here, but when we travel somewhere cold, Matilda gets soooo cold at night, even with her cushy bed/blankets or even sleeping with us!

To remedy this, I got her a light fleece sweater (it's pretty much a dress on her - it's really long for her width) that she sleeps in on these trips - totally solved the issue and she never wakes up shivering in it.

Bullies are so funny, they're either too hot because of their girth or too cold because they don't have much hair!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@hnhammond Great that it works! We've actually considered pyjamas, but I don't think Castor would approve!

Two days ago, we went out and got him not a whole new bed but a padded lining for the basket bed he already has and that is supposed to make the bed very comfy. We were very optimistic, but the truth is that Castor refuses to go to bed, probably because the padding makes this rustling sound when he climbs into bed. But hopefully he'll realise that his bed has been upgraded, not invaded by something!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@cefe13 Try putting his original blankets on top of the new one.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
@cefe13 Try putting his original blankets on top of the new one.

Thanks, we tried that, but that didn't help... but a while ago he actually sat in the new bed so we haven't given up yet!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.