Hello from Newbie in VA

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
Hello! I have been visiting this site for a couple of months now & I finally decided to stop stalking and join!! My husband and I have a one year old bully (his birthday was Jan. 26th) named Phatty. I will be sure to get some pictures of him posted soon.

I have a question about how much food I should be feeding him. Currently I am feeding him a cup and a half in the morning and the same at night. Is three cups too much for a one year old bully? He weighs about 60 lbs. He's a big boy but not fat (but then again I'm his Momma - maybe we should ask someone impartial). I'm feeding him Wellness Super5.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Welcome to the forum!! We are glad you finally
joined us. As far as the amount you feed I would
just go by what the manufacturer recommends.
That will get you in the ball park then just adjust up
or down accordingly. I'm sure others will have more
advise on this. Again welcome we are glad to have you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome [MENTION=1765]Krisandtob[/MENTION]!!! So glad you stopped lurking, we are always wanting more bully pals! (hug)(hug)

I would definitely think that was too much with Wellness, what is the protein and fat content on the bag? You don't want to wake up one day and find out he is fat, because it is very hard to get it off and terrible for them to carry extra weight around. But if that happens, we can help you with that too!

I give my bullies about 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of green beans with their meals. This fills them up and is low calorie, and is not full of sugar.

Looking forward to the pictures!!! :up: Check out the tutorials board for everything you ever wanted to know about the site, and everything you never knew as well! And don't forget to enter the photo of the month contest, with over $100 in prizes to the winner! :up:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I would say yeah, it's probably too much. My girls are 8 months old and they get a cup in the am and a cup in the evening. I wouldn't go by the bag either. They all tell you to feed more than your dog actually needs just to sell you more food. Welcome to our group! This is a great site, as you probably already know! And, yes, we'd love to see pics!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Welcome to EBN! I went to Wellness' website to see what they recommend so I could make a suggestion for his feeding amount but they have alot of super5 formulas. So not sure how to answer unless I know what super5 formula you are feeding him.

L

Lucy-licious

Afraid i cant answer ur question but i wanted to say hello and welcome anyways :)

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Welcome! Glad you decided to jump on in! I don't know if that is the right amount or not. I feed Brodie (4 mo) 1 1/2 cups am and pm but he is on TOTW. Lola (2 1/2 years) gets 1 cup in the am and 1 in the pm and also on TOTW. I do know that what type/brand of food they are on makes a difference in how much you feed them. Can't wait to see pics and love love the name...that needs to be my little man's nick name....yeah and I should not call him little man...actually i have been calling him bro man and it sounds horrible...okay off subject. Again, welcome.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Welcome!!!! Chester is just over a year..he weighs 53 -55 lbs. We feed him about a cup. Of course, "someone" in this house spoils him with treats.. not me..but "someone" :luv:

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Glad you decided to join and not stalk, we can't get enough bullies. Cannot wait to see photos.

Is the food you are feeding him grain free? They can eat more of that without gaining as much weight. Sounds like he is muscular, mine doesn't look like he weighs much but man when i pick him up jeesh.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Welcome! So glad you decided to come out of hiding!! Can't wait to see pictures of your little guy! :heart:

OP
Krisandtob

Krisandtob

Jan 26, 2011
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Phatty
Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice.

Phatty is on the Wellness Super5 - white fish and sweet potato. I need to see what the protein and fat content is. We just switched him to this over the last two weeks. He was on the Royal Canin Bulldog but after I saw how poorly that was rated, I decided to switch. I wanted to switch him to Fromm but my hubby couldn't find it in the store and went with Wellness. Phatty actually did fine on the Royal Canin Bulldog (he has never showed any signs of allergies) and his tear stains are practically non-existent and the poop was solid and regular but I just felt like I could be feeding him something better.

I'm also going to start mixing his food with green beans as desertskybulldogs recommended. And carrots for snacks instead of the Wellness snacks.

I swear I'm going to post pics soon ... really!!!!

Thanks everyone!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Welcome! With the better foods you can get by with feeding less because they get the nutrition they need with less. The green beans as filler is a great idea If he likes them.

Unfortunately for us HRH doesn't like green beans or carrots. I did discover just today that she likes celery though when I cut her a couple bites from the stalks I was snacking on.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.