Question for those familiar with or affiliated with bulldog rescues

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Since we have so many great people on this board that are active in the bulldog rescue community, I wanted to ask a couple questions about adopting a bulldog.

As some of you know, after I lost Bentley and before Truman came into my life, I tried to adopt a bulldog from the local rescue organization. I filled out my application and paid my fee and didn't hear anything in a few weeks so I called and got the old "we'll call you" thing (I understand these people are busy) and never heard back. Ever. Even when the rescue was overflowing with dogs. At that time, I only had Linus, I teach history at the local university so, other than class times, I work from home, I have a house with a yard and I have no kids.

I have been thinking about bringing another dog into my home in the next 6 months. I would love to adopt a rescue bulldog but my questions are this:

Do I have too many dogs to qualify for a rescue animal? Will rescues not really consider people with that many dogs?

Since the policy of the Arizona rescue is to not adopt dogs out to families with two dogs, are there other rescues that will adopt out of state?

Is there anything specific that rescues are looking for that I can highlight in my application process? I tried to promote my financial stability, experience with bulldogs, home ownership, and flexibility of work schedule but it didn't seem to do much good.

I am on a fact finding mission right now so any assistance anyone can provide will be most appreciated!

Thank you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I know the folks at Love-A-Bull rescue, and I am certain that I can have them take a closer look at your application, and also give a personal reference letter.

I know that sometimes having more than one dog can be a red flag, but I think I would highlight that you have done your research, are highly active in the bulldog community, and are a very experienced bulldog owner.

Sometimes I think it really has to do with how busy they are at the time, how many applications they get at a time, and whether they think the dog will be the perfect match for your home. As a matter of fact, [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] has also adopted Butler from Love-A-Bull, so you have two references at your fingertips.

I am going to contact Terri today and see what she says. I would trust you with all 5 of my bullies anyday of the week! And that trust I do not think I could put into much of my family or best friends!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - Thanks, I appreciate it! I don't want it to seem as if I do not respect their policies - I do and understand they are in place for a reason. But I am interested in seeing if my current situation would ever allow me to adopt a rescue so any and all help and advice is great!

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
did you deal with love a bull rescue!? they are great. i met them when I was involved in the Phoenix BCA and showing. I can refer you to them. each dog is homed differently, and I know you're a good home so I would be happy to help if possible.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
I know terri, Karen, and Keith all pretty well! we'll rescue you a baby in no time!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I know, I have to say (and I certainly don't mean any disrespect to any of you involved with rescues) but it is sort of frustrating that they have such strick rules. I realize they have these rules for good reasons, but then there are people like [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] that would be a wonderful home for a rescue. I made a donation to love a bull and they sent me an application. I emailed them and said, I have three dogs, you won't consider me, but thanks anyway. It's not just Bully rescues. A few years ago my oldest daughter wanted to adopt a Lab. There are sooo many in rescue. At the time she was married, had a 7 year old and a cat. They owned their home, had a fenced yard and everything. The rescue she applied to wouldn't even consider them because of the cat. They said they already had a pet so they didn't qualify. I thought this was ridiculous! They ended up purchasing a Lab puppy instead of giving a home to a rescue Lab. I understand the rescues have to make sure they're placing their dogs in good homes that are going to keep them for the rest of their lives, but I also think they pass over many really good homes in the process.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
it's true that they do pass over good homes with their strict rules, but i really do think they would reconsider since [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and i have a great relationship with loveabull. my husband has two kids and we have an unfenced pool. two major nono's for adoption. they overlooked those conditions and didn't have me fill out an application. (the kids are only here every other weekend and butler is never outside unsupervised, just fyi)

i think that the rules are good, but then wonderful people get left out because a few bad apples ruin the bunch. (sorry for the cheesy adage) if you visit the website and see a bully that you are interested in, let me know and i will get in touch with karen and whoever is fostering and we will see what can be done. I know some of the bulls come from crappy homes and are aggressive or some are strays (like butler) so they won't adopt to homes with pets or children, but there are some bulls that just get surrendered because their selfish owners don't want to support them anymore and the bulls are good with kids/dogs/cats. i think the rescue just tries to weed out the applicants to cover their butts. seriously though, when you see one you are interested in, pm me and i'll give you my number.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I ran into an issue like this with a local rescue because my homae at the time had stairs up to the door. I understand that a lot of people want bulldogs so if one home doesn't have them and another does they will go with the one that doesn't. 5t was very frustrating for me at the time also but it turned out very well in the end. Be patient and use the wonderful resources you have at ebn and I'm sure it won't be long. If Dozer keeps acting up i'll jsut send you him;) Good luck

Tanker

Dec 29, 2010
Parkersburg, WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Tanker or Tank or Tankie..Depends on his expression.
I think that the rules are strict too. We already have strikes against us by having two "skin" kids 8 and 5 yrs old, a male bully and unfenced yard and jobs. Tank is always on a leash when we take him out. Most people who are looking to adopt are doing it because the LOVE the breed and want to save them all. I do understand there are evil people among us that would truly make bad bully parents. We don't have a bulldog rescue in WV or even close too us. So I looked up Northern Ohio, but even some of those were city specific. I'd prefer a pup so that I know how it was raised, but now I am having a hard time trying to find a reputable breeder that we can drive to visit the parents and home. I am afaid to "order" a dog online and have it shipped. And since I am on my soap box..lol..how do people know from a picture of a week old pup if "that's the one"? I am one of those people who wants to get down and play with pups to see their personality. So if anyone on the forum is from WV or has some tips on finding a honest, caring and excellent breeder... please show me the way.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
it's true that they do pass over good homes with their strict rules, but i really do think they would reconsider since [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and i have a great relationship with loveabull. my husband has two kids and we have an unfenced pool. two major nono's for adoption. they overlooked those conditions and didn't have me fill out an application. (the kids are only here every other weekend and butler is never outside unsupervised, just fyi)

i think that the rules are good, but then wonderful people get left out because a few bad apples ruin the bunch. (sorry for the cheesy adage) if you visit the website and see a bully that you are interested in, let me know and i will get in touch with karen and whoever is fostering and we will see what can be done. I know some of the bulls come from crappy homes and are aggressive or some are strays (like butler) so they won't adopt to homes with pets or children, but there are some bulls that just get surrendered because their selfish owners don't want to support them anymore and the bulls are good with kids/dogs/cats. i think the rescue just tries to weed out the applicants to cover their butts. seriously though, when you see one you are interested in, pm me and i'll give you my number.

Thank you [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] - I appreciate it.

I've been in contact with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] who is in contact with Love-A-Bull and they are trying to find my application but I will keep an eye out and let you know if something comes up. I very much appreciate your willingness to vouch for me!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] I hope you are able to adopt. I know you would give that bully the wonderful life he/she deserves.

I do have to say, I am one of those who review applications. I know all the rules and restrictions seem too strict, but you have to see it from our point of view as well. It is our "job" to make sure they end up in the best home for them and never in a shelter or rescue again. We are the only voice that bully has. We make it hard for a reason.....its what our bullies deserve. I would not reject an application because of stairs or a cat, but rather, I would not consider you for a bully that cant use stairs or tries to eat cats.:eek: Rescues are also strict about children in the home...its for a reason. Most applicants are NOT like the people on this site. They are not as well educated about the breed, health issues, bully behaviors, etc. I recommend this site to EVERYONE who volunteers and adopts from the IBR. I have to admit, sometimes things just get missed, good applications included.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I totally agree with Nikki. Working in rescue is the hardest job. It's harder than my regular job at times. We've seen these animals at their worst and we make it so the dog doesn't have to face that obstacle in their life again. They are like our own. I've had a foster French Bulldog almost die in my arms 3 times. She is now in a wonderful home that has made her a therapy dog.
And I feel if you are willing to do whatever it takes to get the dog; you'll do whatever it takes for the dog.

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
before Bullets previous owner found me i was searching rescues and had no luck at the time finding an available younger bully near me. most wanted to keep them in their area. i understand but it was heartbreaking to know in my heart i couldn't save one because i was outside the area they outlined. i also had a 5 yr old son (at the time, he is now 6) and most stated no small children. honestly, my now 6 yr old, doesn't really have much to do with Bullet. he will pet him, let him outside to potty and give him treats when allowed but he has his own hobbies so he doesn't pester Bullet at all. so, i know it's hard to REALLY know each possible family. someone said it before...bad people have ruined it for the good ones. :angry:

Jill, i hope you can rescue another bully. :up:

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I will open mouth and insert foot lol but I know EBRG, GEBR and LIBR will adopt out of state. I also think but will have to ask the coordinator Chatanooga bulldog rescue will do out of state too. As long as your vet, personal and home visit check out. Also i am sure without kids one of them would have a bully who would fit in with your other fur-babies!! Goodluck!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.