Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi everyone, I have a question for you guys, I had a family member over the other evening, and I was loading my dishwasher after dinner, I run my dishwasher at night when I go to bed, and then the dishes are done and dry in the morning. After I feed Dozer and Blossom in the morning, I always rinse out their stainless steel bowls with hot water, and then dry them out with a paper towel, I never use my dish cloth just paper towel, then I place them on top of the dog food bins for their evening meal. After they have eaten at night, I again rinse out the bowls with hot water and then place them in my dishwasher. They get washed with my dishes overnight, and then I take them out in the morning and give them their breakfast. My family member was totally grossed out, and told me it was disgusting that I put my dog bowls in the dishwasher. I told her that the dishes get washed in boiling water, and they also go through a very hot drying cycle, where I can't even touch the dishes until they've cooled down, so they are disinfected. She didn't agree with me, and said it was gross. Does anyone else wash their dog bowls in the dishwasher? Or does anyone else think this is gross? I was wondering what others opinions were. How do others wash their dog bowls?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I typically hand wash the dog dishes but my husband usually puts them in the dishwasher. I don't think washing in the dishwasher is gross at all.

When I was younger (a teenager) I use to think that dogs licking human plates was gross - but now if the dogs dishes are in the dishwasher and they need to be fed I use our bowls.

I digress - to each their own, I guess. However this family member might be a germaphobe and there will be no rationale for them ;)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't wash their bowls in the dishwasher every day, but several time a week they go in the dishwasher with my own plates and glasses.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
You can't pick your family eh.
Do they have dogs? Do they kiss em ??
Next time they come over make a point of doing it again and when they moan tell em
....opinions are like bum holes. I have my own, I don't need yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Monica I do the same thing that you do… I put the dog bowls in our dishwasher as well, and never thought a thing about it!!! Lol Roxie LOVES to pre-wash our dishes before I turn on the dishwasher… :whistle:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I hand wash them and my wife puts them in the dishwasher. Nothing wrong with it at all.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I do both. If I'm washing just a few plates or glasses (I don't cook much) I'll hand wash everything.

If there's a ton of dishes, the bowls go into the washer with everything else.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Not gross at all. I handwash and put their bowls in the dishwasher. And guess what, brutus loves to help with dishes so i let him lick the dishes while i'm loading. you can share that with your friends so they don't think you are gross anymore LOL.

20141015_150134.jpg20141015_150252.jpg

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
First off, I don't see anything wrong with this. Let me ask you a question, does she expect you to use a separate sponge when you hand wash the dog bowls? If not, don't you think if there was a gross factor it would be using the same sponge that you wipe the table with??? Some people will just never get it. I say next time she is over have a gigantic smooch fest with both the babies and then kiss her and tell her how happy you are to be friends!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OH DEAR LORD.... she was not serious was she?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't get it either. I am a germaphobe. Especially when it comes to dishes. I'm sure most of us here have that older relative that when you visit the dishes are kinda sticky cause the "good china" hasn't been used in years..
Well I did. I always use to wash those for my great-aunt. I couldn't touch them without cleaning them first.

But this? ha! Sounds crazy to me.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Not gross at all. I handwash and put their bowls in the dishwasher. And guess what, brutus loves to help with dishes so i let him lick the dishes while i'm loading. you can share that with your friends so they don't think you are gross anymore LOL.

View attachment 82850View attachment 82851
Brutus you are such a handsome helper!!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Jeez if people think that's gross try letting them watch you clean a few tailpockets!
I always like to sit back and watch peoples reactions to the dogs..on Christmas when a lot of relatives came over it would range from some who couldn't get enough of playing with them, some who would totally ignore them, and others who were obsessed with not getting any drool on their pants and would scream NO when the dogs approached. My wife says she cant blame people not wanting dog drool on their christmas outfits but I wiped their mouths every 5 minutes and I told people to wear leg warmers lol. I judge people now by how they treat my dogs.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Its not gross!! we do it to, and bella also gets a bite off my fork or spoon or even a LICK off of an ice cream cone.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.