ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't get it either. I am a germaphobe. Especially when it comes to dishes. I'm sure most of us here have that older relative that when you visit the dishes are kinda sticky cause the "good china" hasn't been used in years..
Well I did. I always use to wash those for my great-aunt. I couldn't touch them without cleaning them first.

But this? ha! Sounds crazy to me.

I was a germaphobe too… that is until I had KIDS!!! Let's just put it this way, after seeing projectile vomiting or gastric diarrhea from a newborn (AND getting it all over you, the walls, etc…) dogs germs are NOTHING!!! :bad:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Jeez if people think that's gross try letting them watch you clean a few tailpockets!
I always like to sit back and watch peoples reactions to the dogs..on Christmas when a lot of relatives came over it would range from some who couldn't get enough of playing with them, some who would totally ignore them, and others who were obsessed with not getting any drool on their pants and would scream NO when the dogs approached. My wife says she cant blame people not wanting dog drool on their christmas outfits but I wiped their mouths every 5 minutes and I told people to wear leg warmers lol. I judge people now by how they treat my dogs.

I'm the SAME way… as soon as someone starts the "Ohh gross… doggie drool!!!" the hubby will politely remind them WHO lives here!!! Lol

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Not gross at all. Your argument was completely valid. The dishes are CLEANED in the dishwasher.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I don't think it's gross, but I don't do it. I wash my dog's bowls in the sink and I use a papertowel. Truthfully, I am a bit of a germ-a-phobe and I always correct Bella when she tries to put her nose into the dishwasher. I also don't let her lick my spoons or other utensils. I use plastic spoons and forks for her.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Yep, your friend would be totally grossed out at my house! Both of my dogs lick all the dishes they can reach while I load the dishwasher. And their bowls go in it quite often with the rest of our dishes. Sounds a little crazy to me--and not very good manners of the friend to mention it :no: !

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Jeez if people think that's gross try letting them watch you clean a few tailpockets!
I always like to sit back and watch peoples reactions to the dogs..on Christmas when a lot of relatives came over it would range from some who couldn't get enough of playing with them, some who would totally ignore them, and others who were obsessed with not getting any drool on their pants and would scream NO when the dogs approached. My wife says she cant blame people not wanting dog drool on their christmas outfits but I wiped their mouths every 5 minutes and I told people to wear leg warmers lol. I judge people now by how they treat my dogs.

Me too!! I got over caring what people think about my dogs a long time ago. If the dogs bother them, they don't have to come over. And I also tell people not to wear nice clothes when they come to my house. I tend to like people in proportion to how much they like my dogs!

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thanks guys, I can always count on you for back up. Now I don't feel so alone, knowing that others also wash their dog bowls in the dishwasher with their dishes. The water is so hot, that everything gets disinfected, plus most of the dish washing soaps have bleach in them, and then the drying cycle is so hot as well. I always rinse them first, and I use a paper towel not my dish cloth. I don't think it's gross either, but wanted to see what others thought.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The thing is, people who aren't dog people will never understand some of the things that dog lovers do. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My family would probably be grossed out that I let my dog sleep in the bed with me. OK, whatever... All of us are different and we let our dogs do different things...and that's OK.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am late in this discussion-but if I had a dishwasher, I would definitely put the dog dishes in it-for the dog's benefit-of possibly killing germs! When my kids were young, and I had to take them to baseball practice, I had a doberman who traveled with me. We would always stop for ice cream at the Dairy Mart, on the way home. I used to share my ice cream cone with the dog (Roxie ) then the kids who worked there got to know the dog, and started giving her- her own cup of ice cream. I'll bet THAT would make your friend vomit!!!:bad: But I have spent my life with animals, and actually you catch less from them, than you do from people!! [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I wash all dishes - dogs, bird, snakes - in the dishwasher. I see it the same way as preparing raw meat in a dish and then putting that dish in the dishwasher (which doesn't gross people out at all). I sanitize pet bowls and it is just much easier to use the sanitize cycle in the dishwasher than any other method. But, interestingly, my dog-loving family is not grossed out by the dog bowls in the dishwasher but are grossed out by the snakes' dish in the dishwasher.

But we don't lick each other's ice creams in my house... humans or pets.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
There's also studys made that families with pets have healthier kids, than falimies without pets. You can be too clean and hygienic too, you know....

rwperro

Jan 13, 2015
Burlington, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sofia
I wash them with the other dishes with no problem. I get the same thing from family members and friends. My dogs mouth is probably cleaner than some people. That is a take of who is dog lovers or not.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Once in awhile I put all of Ruckus's hard toys through the dishwasher with no soap to give them a good cleaning...so no I don't think washing their bowls in there is gross. I'd wash Ruckus's in the dishwasher if it didn't have a rubberized bottom.

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
Not gross at all! What I think is gross is that a guest in your house would say something!! We have two signs in our house very close to the front door that say "This is the dogs house, we just live here & you are just a guest" and one that says "You don't HAVE to like our dog, but remember we don't HAVE to like you" We like to live by those quotes :biglaugh:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.