Complete regression

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
So over this weekend potty training Georgia has gone in the complete opposite way it went last week. She is pottying non stop in the house. Just 10 minutes ago i took her out and immediately walked back inside. I figured "she just peed on my floor 20 minutes ago so I guess she doesnt have to go, wrong. While im taking my shoes off she peed on the floor. We literally just went out. She knows shes wrong but just doesnt seem to care. Remaining calm and just cleaning it is starting to lose out to getting very annoyed. We are on a very strict schedule and shes in my sight constantly. She even tried to do it while tethered to me yesterday. I hate to do it but shes going to have to be crated from here on out until she understands to stop using my house as a potty. So frustrated right now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep -- this tends to happen... stick to your guns, crate if you to have to but keep to your schedule too

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
I think shes trying to gain some type of dominance the past few days. Now she is absolutely refusing to walk on the leash. Somebody switched dogs on me or something because this is so far opposite of last week its not funny. Today is going to have to be a day of understanding. Me understanding shes a pup and her understanding I make the rules.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Sorry you're going through this Tyler. How old is Georgia? What was her potty training behavior last week? How trustworthy was she?

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Shes only 5 months old so I understand we have a ways to go but last week she was doing incredible. She would sit at my feet when she had to go then id praise her like crazy when she did. This weekend she kinda said forget it and is almost refusing to go outside. She held it all night in my bed but last night got up at 4 and went on my floor. Now today she is absolutely refusing the leash. She digs in and wont budge.

Heres my problem. I dont want to yell, or pull her on the leash but i cant stand there for 2 hours either. Shes going out right bow every 15 minutes but still hasnt gonepotty. This is something ive never seen before so were going to have to have an inderstanding soon or im gonna lose my patience and gturn this week into boot camp.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Actually, I was thinking she's younger than 5 months. I guess this might be that expected regression I've heard so much about. Have you tried giving her high-value treats to potty outside? Hotdogs, chicken cheese...

Personally, I think your idea of crating her is great. She can't be trusted to have any freedom right now.

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Im not supposed to give her anything but her food and treats the vet provided until we go back on the 23rd. She had coccidia so he wanted a strict diet to control diarrhea. I go crazy when she goes outside and reward her with those treats though.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
she is being a toddler and testing the limits... stick to your guns and schedule... she will revert back. i am dreading this with Lambeau -- he is doing well, but I know we will be where you are in a couple months

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
she is being a toddler and testing the limits... stick to your guns and schedule... she will revert back. i am dreading this with Lambeau -- he is doing well, but I know we will be where you are in a couple months

I sincerely hope you dont have to deal with it because the biggest drawback to an English Bulldog is even when your at the end of your rope they give you this look that is irresistible. It is so hard to be upset and stern with them. We're at work now and shes doing everything she can to get attention. Barking, whining, and pushing her play pen across the room. Ive had to make everyone completely ignore her.

Thanks everyone though, its good to vent and get some opinions of other EB owners.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Just about every pup I have had, has gone through this stage at about 5/6 months old. Just when you think they are finally doing so well-they regress! As long as you're sure she has no UTI, this is normal, and as long as you are vigilant, this, too, shall pass! Always testing! EBD's seem to test more, because they are always thinking-even when we don't realize it!ha!ha! Hang in there! Don't give up! :no:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If she is peeing more than usual take her to the vet to check for an UTI. They will also regress sometimes too when they are learning, just stay with the training it will get better.

OP
TylerV76

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
We went last week to the vet and she had no uti. We go back next weekend for her follow up on shots. Shes not peeing anymore than usual but shes just decided she'll do so in the house. Then she decided today she hates the leash and wouldnt walk on it. After half a day of work and being ignored except when she went potty outside, she seems to be realizing her behavior was not acceptable. Shes got a look of "Im sorry" in her eyes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.