Waking up scared from a nap

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
My little Penny is deaf and has just started waking up scared to death from naps. She will run and cower in a corner if she wakes up disoriented. Does anyone have experience with deaf dogs and this happening? It breaks my heart, and I try to comfort her, but she just gives me the big sad eyes....

And here's a picture of her and her baby sister, Angel.
2f9ab4e9be7a56ae7d32b0c80e937c19.jpg

And their paws together
64b1b6d727ea9ae87c29f72cd0fd0da0.jpg

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Oh! The cuteness! I'm sorry, I don't have any advice, but your pics just made me squee from cuteness.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my your babies are adorable… I have no experience w/deaf dogs, but I will tag some members that may be able to advice you.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Touch her as much as you can , i used to gently touch Shy to wake her up , or in any other situations when she was awake but looking at something other than me -she got used to it and now wakes up without being spooked x
Its probably vibration ,wind when someone passing waking her up x

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
love love love these photos!! :luv:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I used to have a ridgeback that became deaf at about 5 years old from horrendous non stop ear infections. At first he would startle waking up from naps or when people would walk by him, but as time went on we did what Pati suggested and touched him as much as possible and it started to ease him. In our case after about a year it stopped and he was fine, but would still get started if someone came up from behind him. We just made it a point to shuffle our feet when approaching him as he would feel the vibration in the floor and start to wake up himself.

OP
CrazyDogMom

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
I'll definitely give touching her while she's napping a try! It breaks my heart to see her run off and do the super-duper sad eyes, or yelp when she wakes up because there's nothing I can do but give her hugs to try to make her feel better [emoji17]

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Great advice above, I found with my deaf baby (Bulldozer) it really helped that he always slept in his designated spot - the smells and comfort it gave him was huge. I also would make sure to rub his back slowly to wake him up, if there were outside forces waking him up (movement, other dogs, vibrations, etc) it would freak him out sometimes.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
My mother has a deaf cat and to wake him they touch him softly. Sometimes he spooks and he relies on the other cats and their body language but most times he's calm. He tends to sleep in the same bed in the same room. Also if you try to south her each time she panics change my this by not jumping to respond. If she sees you not react and you are calm she'll feed off the calmness. Get her to come to you, snuggle, pet her do normal calm things with her. This hoe my mother works with her cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.