Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Of course, I knew this going in. I've been allergic to dogs and cats my entire life. I eventfully got used to my Lhasa after a short while of living with him. With Bella, however, I don't feel like I'm getting any better. I'm chronically stuffy, sneezy, wheezy, etc. She has a TON of dander. I think her dander is worse than that of my Lhasa, so maybe that's the issue.

Is there a shot or something I can ask my doctor for? As it is, I'm popping Claritin every day, but I'm very far from 100%.

Any other allergy suffering bully lovers out there? Anyone have any advice?

*ACHOO* :excited:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Oh Rats! I would think that there is a shot that you could take after some testing. My son had allergy testing done a long time ago (when he was a kid) and the doc fixed a serum for the things he was allergic to. He was supposed to give himself shots. He quit doing it pretty fast cuz he didn't like it and dogs was not one of the things he was allergic to. I hope you get some relief! Let us know.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Tracey is very allergic too.... [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I think she is on a shot of some type.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My son had allergy shots for years when he was little. Fortunately, he was not allergic to dogs or cats(I would have had to give him away-just kidding:)) but there are
allergy shots-don't know if you have a Dr. who would give you any without all the testing. BUT my dogs don't seem to have any dander. Even when brushed,I don't see any.
They get two tsp. of extra virgin olive oil in their food, once a day, Kauffmans Stress formula(they also have a skin formula on site) and they get a heaping tablespoon of plain yogurt before bed. Maybe you could try some supplements for Bella, for her skin-it may help you some. Surely hope something can help-they do still shed some,but I am not allergic-only when they are bad girls!
@Cali Doll

Last edited:
OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks everyone! I add coconut oil to her meals each day. I'm scared of yogurt because the one time I added it to her meal, she had semi-explosive diarrhea on my bedroom hardwood floors. Lol! Maybe I gave her too much, I dunno. I may try it again. I will for sure try the EVOO.

I appreciate all of the advice!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope you can find a way or a solution to get relief from your allergies.

Living well with dog allergies
Monday June 29th, 2009

Studies have shown that almost 15 percent of the people in the United States suffer from pet allergies. While many physicians advise getting rid of a dog when the allergy is discovered, only about one in five people will do so.

Obviously, the emotional benefits of keeping a beloved pet seem to outweigh the physical discomfort it can cause, but most allergy sufferers could benefit from a deeper understanding of their allergies, and of the steps they can take to lead a more comfortable life with their dogs.

Why dogs can make you sneeze

Dogs have glands in their skin which secrete minute proteins that some people will experience as allergens, triggering an allergic response. As the dog moves around, the allergens are released and float into the air. There are also allergens in the dog's urine and saliva. Saliva allergens are released when the dog's saliva dries on its fur. All dogs are potentially allergenic, or allergy-causing, to someone who is sensitive to dogs allergens.

While there are no truly non-allergenic breeds, some do seem to be less irritating to certain people. Dogs with soft, constantly growing hair, such as poodles, are sometimes less irritating but that is probably because they tend to be bathed and groomed more often than other dogs.

Some dog breeds seem to cause more distress to an allergy sufferer than others. People have different degrees of susceptibility to allergens, ranging from mild sneezing and sniffling to life-threatening asthma. These reactions can be complicated by other allergies to different substances in the environment.

How to live with your dog if you're allergic to it

If the allergic person's reactions are not life threatening, there are steps they can take to reduce their symptoms:

Establish an 'allergy free' zone in your home, and do not allow your dog into that area; the bedroom is usually the best room for this. Install a High Efficiency Particulate Air Filter (HEPA) in the room. You can find these at almost any department store or home and garden store, or online. Purchase impermeable covers for your mattress and pillows so that allergen particles carried in on clothes and by other means cannot accumulate on them.

Install HEPA filters throughout your home, and keep dust-catching furnishings such as curtains and rugs to a minimum. Clean often and thoroughly to remove dust and dander, and wash furniture covers, curtains and other cloth items as often as possible. Buy a HEPA vacuum cleaner with a micro filter bag to catch all of the allergens.

Washing your dog every week can reduce the allergens in his fur by as much as 84%. There are products that claim to reduce pet allergens when you spray it on your dog's fur, but they don't work as well as a simple weekly bath. Check with your vet for a safe shampoo to use.

Rather than just assuming that you are allergic to dog dander, ask your allergist to test you and confirm it. Many allergy sufferers are sensitive to multiple allergens and need to reduce the allergen levels of many substances in their environment rather than concentrating on just their dog allergy.

Allergy shots, known as immunotherapy, can reduce symptoms, although they can't eliminate them. They gradually desensitize the allergic person's immune system to the pet allergens by injecting known allergy-causing agents under the skin. This triggers the body to produce antibodies (protective proteins). These antibodies block the dog allergen from causing a reaction. Depending on the severity of the allergy, people will receive one dose a week for anywhere from a few weeks to several months. A follow-up dose once a month usually controls the allergic reaction.

There are other treatments for dog allergies such as certain types of steroids, and antihistamine nose sprays or antihistamine pills. There are many medications in the form of sprayers and inhalers available for the asthma sufferer, which can be used individually or in conjunction with each other.

Probably the most important step for an allergy sufferer to take is to find an allergist who understands and sympathizes with your commitment to living with your dog. If you combine the therapies outlined above; medicine, housecleaning methods and immunotherapy, you should to able to happily and successfully live with your dog.

If you don't have a dog yet and know that you are sensitive to them, think carefully before bringing a new dog home. Make sure you can live comfortably with your dog, because few allergy sufferers ever become completely accustomed to their dogs. The one possible exception to this is children, who will sometimes outgrow their allergies.

Please consider all the difficulties of living with a dog before acquiring one, to minimize the risk of having to make the heart-breaking decision of giving up your dog and sending him into an uncertain future.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Tracey is very allergic too.... @ddnene I think she is on a shot of some type.

Oh YEAH!!! I'm allergic to everything basically… fur, feathers, you name it. I was getting allergy induced migraines, and the OTC stuff just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. I went to an allergist to get tested, and then I started getting shots. BEST thing that I ever did… it's been 3 years now and I have a migraine MAYBE twice a year?!! I will give you some tips… keep the dogs out of your bed & bedroom and furniture if possible and wash sheets weekly in HOT water to keep the dander down. I take my dogs to the groomers about every 8 weeks (wet dog hair gives me HIVES) and that helps a lot.

Todd suffers as well he may have more tips… [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION]

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Wow! Thank you!! I also have asthma...all this info is great!!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wow! Thank you!! I also have asthma...all this info is great!!

I would highly suggest you get an air purifier too… I also have allergy covers for my mattress, pillows, etc… They really help and are fairly inexpensive.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am allergic to many things as well including dogs. I had testing done about 3 years ago and have been getting 3 shots once a week since. Has it helped? Sure, but i still have another 2 or three years to go before I hit maintenance mode. We have HEPA fans/filters in every room of the house and we change the ac/furnace filter every 2 weeks plus vacuum/sweep daily, dust weekly and non-stop laundry for me. It is a pain but i won't give up my animal farm.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh I should mention that I started out w/6 shots a week and now I'm on maintenance which for me is 3 shots once a month!!! ;) I also use a steroid nasal spray nightly and benadryl as needed...

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Do you guys give yourselves the shots or do you go to a doctor?

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you guys give yourselves the shots or do you go to a doctor?

Nope… I go to the allergy clinic, and it's honestly NOT as bad as people claim it to be.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Why do people claim it's bad? Is it the idea of getting so many shots? Shots don't really bother me. I like to think I have a high tolerance for pain. :)

I'm calling an allergist tomorrow and I'm looking up Hepa air filters right now. Oh, can you guys recommend good air filters?

I have my eye on this one:

Amazon.com: GermGuardian AC4825, 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA, UV-C and Odor Reduction, 22-Inch: Home & Kitchen

Well I guess SOME people (a LOT actually) are afraid of shots… NOT me, but honestly they are not HUGE needles. I haven't purchased a filter yet, but I will tag Todd [MENTION=3653]Marine[/MENTION]97

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online