Our bulldog front nails bleeding at the quick

Rodney Ho

Dec 29, 2013
Our old bulldog Spanky is so front heavy, she has worn down her front toenails to the quick. They started bleeding yesterday. Question: what can be done to allow the toenails to grow back while still allowing her to take walks? I figure we won't let her walk on asphalt or any hard surface and we will keep her from going on big hills. We've tried booties at PetSmart but they don't fit well on her feet. Any ideas on what we can do?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Flour will help stop the bleed temporarily but definitely avoid hard surface till they are back to a good length

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
A member here posted the other day about nail caps, it was for a different reason but I bet they would work! let me see if I can find a picture or something.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Here they are, you can also get in many colors.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420931545.729494.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A member here posted the other day about nail caps, it was for a different reason but I bet they would work! let me see if I can find a picture or something.

GREAT idea.... I totally forgot about them!!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I think nail caps are a great idea!!!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I don't know how the quick got exposed for your pup, but Lola would grind down her nails while trying desperately to get back home (scrape and pull on her lead) while on a short walk around the block. Frustrated with her antics, we invested in muttluks booties. These ended up being really helpful for the short duration we needed to get her to stop trying to run home on walks. They also oversalted everything in toronto in winter, so helped keep the salt out of her paws. We have had the muttlucks for over 3 years, though they were expensive when we bought them (over $40 i'm pretty sure, in canada).

Now that we don't walk her as much (and we've moved to a residential neighborhood in boston), we just try to keep her nails short. I find that i have to trim them more often with our hardwood floors than with carpet at our old apt. I trim them every two weeks at least now. Less of a chance of cracking and bleeding if the pressure is on the pads, not the nails. but nails grow back very fast, I'm sure your pup will heal up in no time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.