Exercise during winter?

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Those who have frigid winters/weather, how do you give your baby exercise? Bundle yourself up as much as possible and still go for walks? Keep the walks short? [emoji53]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
before we bought our home with fenced in yard... SHORT wlaks and then we would play keep away with their favorite toy or wrestle with then in the basement

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I live in a city but there's a promenade (esplanade?) directly behind my building. no streets, or traffic- just benches and parks.
It snowed yesterday so we let the boys off lead (when the park police isn't around..lol) and have them run around for a bit. They love the snow. When it's just cold, we go for a quick walk, then play upstairs for a good half hour at a time.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] that's what we'd love to do unfortunately we live on a 3rd floor condo so I can only do the running around when I know our downstairs neighbors aren't home.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
We play fetch. Be it frisbee or balls we would play fetch for 30 minutes to an hour.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I live in a city but there's a promenade (esplanade?) directly behind my building. no streets, or traffic- just benches and parks.
It snowed yesterday so we let the boys off lead (when the park police isn't around..lol) and have them run around for a bit. They love the snow. When it's just cold, we go for a quick walk, then play upstairs for a good half hour at a time.
Hahahaha. There a few parks around us but no dogs allowed, subject to $100 fine. One of the parks is smack in the middle of where people drive so that one is a no go. We also have a place along a river but again... subject to the fine. Yet you can walk dogs on the streets downtown... makes no sense since it's on a main road.

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Chubbs doesn't like to play fetch unless it's only a few feet away, haha.

Taco is the same way, and I worry about getting him tired out all the time. He adores his chew toys, and always grinds them up against you. This leads to some sort of tug o war/ keep away game. It's boring as all can be for me after the 10th time, but he loves it, and I take the opportunity to work on his behavior, like "wait," and "slow" when he goes into a psychotic mode to get his toy back.

We also found an always populated dog park right by us, and lucky for us Taco likes to run with the labs after tennis balls. Also lucky for us, he just enjoys the camaraderie, and seems to be oblivious to the tennis balls! He slept straight through the night, and wouldn't play for 24 hours he was so exhausted the next day!

Our walks are short, he pulls me in after he does business.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hahahaha. There a few parks around us but no dogs allowed, subject to $100 fine. One of the parks is smack in the middle of where people drive so that one is a no go. We also have a place along a river but again... subject to the fine. Yet you can walk dogs on the streets downtown... makes no sense since it's on a main road.

In NYC, we have off leash hours in parks between 9 PM and 9 AM. Of course it's still not allowed in my neighborhood, but that's a whole 'notha can of worms.
Do they have something like that in NH?

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
In NYC, we have off leash hours in parks between 9 PM and 9 AM. Of course it's still not allowed in my neighborhood, but that's a whole 'notha can of worms.
Do they have something like that in NH?

That's awesome!. Unfortunately, we do not have anything like that... well not that I know of. It's either a dog park, a place you can let your dog of leash or a place where you can be fined. Totally sucks!

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Taco is the same way, and I worry about getting him tired out all the time. He adores his chew toys, and always grinds them up against you. This leads to some sort of tug o war/ keep away game. It's boring as all can be for me after the 10th time, but he loves it, and I take the opportunity to work on his behavior, like "wait," and "slow" when he goes into a psychotic mode to get his toy back.

We also found an always populated dog park right by us, and lucky for us Taco likes to run with the labs after tennis balls. Also lucky for us, he just enjoys the camaraderie, and seems to be oblivious to the tennis balls! He slept straight through the night, and wouldn't play for 24 hours he was so exhausted the next day!

Our walks are short, he pulls me in after he does business.

Ah yes, tug of war, haha. We try to work on his behavior but he is definitely one stubborn bully!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
That's awesome!. Unfortunately, we do not have anything like that... well not that I know of. It's either a dog park, a place you can let your dog of leash or a place where you can be fined. Totally sucks!

I didn't know either until recently. Give the parks department a call to find out for sure.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we just moved into a house and are still lacking some furniture. So our finished basement makes for a good area to do some runs, about 20 minutes twice in the evening after work. We taught Lola 'touch' command, she will touch her snout to the palm of our hand which we hold out at her height. One of us will be on one side of the basement and we'll say 'touch' or we'll run back and forth with her.

We also have one of those kong food/treat bowling pin toys. We put a few pieces of kibble as treats into it and let her nose it around the basement. From our apt in Toronto, this is way more exercise than she got there. She also had palate surgery a couple years ago and I've been afraid to let her overhead since then, i'm a little over protective when it comes to exercise. She also goes up and down stairs all day following us around.

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
we just moved into a house and are still lacking some furniture. So our finished basement makes for a good area to do some runs, about 20 minutes twice in the evening after work. We taught Lola 'touch' command, she will touch her snout to the palm of our hand which we hold out at her height. One of us will be on one side of the basement and we'll say 'touch' or we'll run back and forth with her.

We also have one of those kong food/treat bowling pin toys. We put a few pieces of kibble as treats into it and let her nose it around the basement. From our apt in Toronto, this is way more exercise than she got there. She also had palate surgery a couple years ago and I've been afraid to let her overhead since then, i'm a little over protective when it comes to exercise. She also goes up and down stairs all day following us around.
The touch trick sounds intriguing! We also have to go up and down 3 stairs to leave our building. During the day when no one is here & the parking lot is empty (live in a condo with 11 other units and buildings next to us) we can run around. Have to be careful of the ice and snow which has harden.

Chubbs is not allowed to have any treat type toy like Kong. First, we have to fix his food, and now toy, aggression. [emoji53] [emoji174] [emoji22]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.