Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I take care of Bella by myself and I've been toying with different care options for her while I'm at work. Our vet offers doggie day care, but they don't require the rabies vaccine to keep her. Isn't that concerning? They require the bordatella vaccine, which Bella has. However, Bella hasn't had ALL of her vaccines, but they'd give her the final round (inc. rabies) when/if I drop her off tomorrow for daycare. Do you think that's OK?

Aside from all of this, I'm just nervous because Bella has always been in a home. She's never been left at a clinic or vet or anything like that.

But, isn't this vaccine situation weird? I mean, I'd rather keep her at home alone over putting her in harm's way (obviously).

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
For Blue's puppy class, all that was required was proof of his first set of shots. Bordetella wasn't required but puppy class was less than an hour. It makes sense they would want it for daycare.

The rabies I question though because she should be about 16 week (or 4 months) to get it. So if she's younger, and she hasn't had all her vaccines yet, I wouldn't do it.

I know my vet spaced Blues vaccines apart. He got his last set of shots, along with Bordetella (not the nasal version but the shot) at the same time. Then a few weeks later, he got his rabies vaccine.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
So, Bella will be 16 weeks on Jan 22nd. Currently, she is scheduled to have her rabies shot on Jan 16, which is a week before she turns 16 weeks old. When I called about doggie daycare, I think they said she could get her last set of vaccines while she's at daycare (which would be tomorrow)...which I would think includes rabies.

Would that be too many weeks before she turns 16 weeks old (two weeks before)?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think it's too many vaccines at once. But most vets don't think it's an issue.

At the end of the day, it's up to you.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
That's actually helpful, thank you!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Personally, I wish there WAS a day care near me-just because I would like them to get with other dogs. BUT, I would wait for a while after she had her shots, because I wouldn't want her having the shots,being new at daycare,and rough housing after just having shots. I am always afraid of a reaction-which to me,all the new activity might not agree with recent-same day shot. But I have had a dog and a horse who had reactions to their shots. But that's just my paranoia. [MENTION=13235]Cali Doll[/MENTION]

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
@CaliDoll The age a dog gets their rabies shots is state regulated so my only concern would be whether the state will recognize the rabies shot if it received earlier than law indicates they should get it. When my husband was a vet tech in California years ago, at that time (i'm not sure if the law is still in place), if a puppy received their rabies vaccination earlier than 16 weeks, it was not recognized by the state and would need to get another one at 16 weeks.

Based on the site below, in VA the state law is to for puppies to receive their rabies shots BY 4 months, so I think that it is fine that she is receiving her shots early but you may want to ask the vet about this. Also if you plan to travel out of state with her in the next few months you may also want to make sure that other states will recognize her rabies shots if it is done early.

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/epidemio...delines/Rabies Guidelines 2010 - External.pdf

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You guys are awesome!!!! This is so helpful and it makes me feel much better. I really want her to go to day care. I hate that she's home alone all day.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We used to take our bullmastiffs to doggie day care. It was wonderful. I wish Mabel didn't have such an intense dislike of other dogs. She would go too! Our facility wanted them to be caught up on ALL their vaccines.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In PA, they require all dogs receive rabies, but their are exceptions due to health issues (proven reactions). i used to work at a dog daycare here in PA and the dog warden did come in to audit that the dogs on site for daycare that day had their shots up to date and a PA state dog license. So, check your state requirements and go from there.

Since i worked at the day care my guys did go, and LOVED it. I only took them once a week, for a Bulldog it was more than enough

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You guys are awesome!!!! This is so helpful and it makes me feel much better. I really want her to go to day care. I hate that she's home alone all day.

I feel the same way, I'd do it. She'll love it. :yes:

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella did great! She was so sleepy when we got home. Yay! :D

I talked to to the vet/daycare and, interestingly, they don't allow the dogs to play together. But, the dogs have tons of interaction with the office staff. I actually don't mind this, as long as I have someone interacting with and taking care of my baby during the day. They said she hung out with the office staff all day and she was a very good girl.

They charge $15, which less than I'd have to pay someone to come to my house during the day to take out Bella.

So, I kind of like this set up. I'm taking her again this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 127

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bella did great! She was so sleepy when we got home. Yay! :D

I talked to to the vet/daycare and, interestingly, they don't allow the dogs to play together. But, the dogs have tons of interaction with the office staff. I actually don't mind this, as long as I have someone interacting with and taking care of my baby during the day. They said she hung out with the office staff all day and she was a very good girl.

They charge $15, which less than I'd have to pay someone to come to my house during the day to take out Bella.

So, I kind of like this set up. I'm taking her again this morning.

NICE!! happy this seems to be a good fit for her and you!

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Aww!! Your Bella is precious! I used to take Patton 2-3x a week to daycare and he absolutely loved it and it took him a full 2 days to recover!! He unfortunately got worms, kennel cough and a broken foot from daycare so I took him out. He continues to hate me for it but I feel like we had no choice. I love that Bella gets exercise and interaction all day but not with the dogs. Sounds like it is a great fit! I wish they had something like that near me!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online