Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerned, my dog has gotten fat

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
    Likes (Received)

Default Concerned, my dog has gotten fat

I feel kind of dumb asking this but in the last 6 months my bulldog has gotten fat but only in her belly area. This is long but I really don't know what to do.

I adopted Gypsy in May 2013 and I think she was around 4 years old. Since I've had her, other than allergies (grass and peas), she hasn't had any major medical issues.

In April/May 2014 I finally found a dog food that did not wreak havoc on Gypsy's skin. I'm convinced she is allergic to peas. I switched her from TOTW to Natural Balance Rabbit & Potato. It has been wonderful! The sores on her feet and chin have completely cleared up and she no longer has the horrible gas that she used to have. During this time she was getting 3/4 cup of kibble in the morning and again at night. She also gets some sort of veggies (broccoli, carrots, or green beans) at lunch time. Occasionally she gets a treat in the later evening which is usually bananas.

A few months ago I noticed her belly area getting big so I lowered her kibble to 1/2 cup in the morning and again at night. Over Christmas break, I realized she hasn't gotten any smaller and her bones in her spine seem more prominent. Her pot belly resembles a pregnant dog but she is fixed and hasn't been around a male dog so I'm 1000% positive she is not pregnant.

She has not changed in any other way. She is still a food fanatic, she still poops & pees the same, she still plays the same, she is still the same amount of lazy, etc. I can gently press on her belly and she is not in any pain.

About a year ago she just quit taking walks. She is very food motivated but she wouldn't walk even for treats! I refuse to drag her down the sidewalk so I gave up on walking and won't force the issue. So, she doesn't get a lot of exercise. We play in the house and outside but overall, she's not moving a whole lot. I work full time so she pretty much sleeps all day.

I started googling last night and now I'm kind of freaked out. Other than a pot belly, she has NO symptoms of Cushings Disease or roundworms. These were the only two things that kept coming up when I googled "my dog has a pot belly". I have been digging thru her poop today and there are no signs of worms.

Is this just the fact that she needs to go on a diet? Do I lower her kibble even more? Should I change her food again?

I'm sure the recommendation is to take her to the vet but I feel kind of dumb doing this. What exactly do I tell him? Do I ask for an X-ray? Do you have him run a bunch of tests? Gypsy HATES the vet and I don't want to traumatize her unnecessarily.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ami

Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Concerned, my dog has gotten fat

I don't have much experience with Cushing Disease but there are some members here that can help with what doctors will need for testing...

As for round worm, all you need is a poop sample for the vet to check...roundworms will not necessarily always appear in poop and their eggs are microscopic

Do you have any pictures of her?
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this either, but would recommend as Nu suggested taking her to the vet to have her poop checked for parasites, and he can also check her for Cushings disease. If nothing else in her diet or routine have changed then it would be a good idea to have the vet check her out. It could just be that she doesn't exercise anymore, have you weighed her to see if she actually has gained weight, or if her stomach is just swollen? I wouldn't reduce her food any more than you have, as she wouldn't be getting the proper nutrition or vitamins on less food. I hope you figure out what's causing this, and that Gypsy is okay. Please keep us posted. Our member Tracey, just went through this with her dog, and she was diagnosed with Cushings disease, she would be able to give you information and advice on how they diagnose and treat Cushings. I have tagged her for you.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I would leave the food alone for now... she is doing well on it and for a dog her age 2 cups a day is about right for her. Take a poo sample to the vet and have blood work done to see what might be going on....

sending positive thoughts.... please keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

My 10 year old boxer Roxie was just diagnosed w/cushings disease. The biggest sign was her peeing in the house, and drinking large amounts of water. Cushings is diagnosed by a blood test, although the initial test is done w/urine sample. I would recommend taking her to a vet, if she's gaining a LOT of weight it could indicate many different things.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Brian
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Brandi (RIP), Jackson (RIP),Ca$h (RIP), Miss Daisey, Sir Winford, Charlee, Darla, and Stuart
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I would leave the food alone for now... she is doing well on it and for a dog her age 2 cups a day is about right for her. Take a poo sample to the vet and have blood work done to see what might be going on....

sending positive thoughts.... please keep us posted
    I agree with this advice 100%.

I kissed a Bulldog and I loved it.....there is nothing better in this world than a Senior Bulldog.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
    Likes (Received)

Well this update isn't good. Gypsy has a tumor on her heart blocking the aorta which is causing fluid to back up into her belly. The vet drained the fluid and gave her some diuretics. There isn't anything that can be done for her except to make her comfortable.

To say I'm devastated is an understatement.

When I adopted her in May 2013, I honestly thought I'd get 5 years with her. It is some comfort to know she's had a better life in the last year and a half than she had in the 4 years with her previous owners.

Thanks for all the support.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mzza111 View Post
    Well this update isn't good. Gypsy has a tumor on her heart blocking the aorta which is causing fluid to back up into her belly. The vet drained the fluid and gave her some diuretics. There isn't anything that can be done for her except to make her comfortable.

To say I'm devastated is an understatement.

When I adopted her in May 2013, I honestly thought I'd get 5 years with her. It is some comfort to know she's had a better life in the last year and a half than she had in the 4 years with her previous owners.

Thanks for all the support.

OMG... i am so sorry for this news! I am devastated for you. did the vet give any indication how long she came live with this condition? Be sure to give her big hugs and kisses from us.

Sending lots of love and prayers to you all
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

My heart goes out to you, this is so sad. My thoughts are with you.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh no, I'm so very sorry

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Oh no.. I'm so sorry
    What did the vet say? She's 6 now, right?

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

OMG I'm so very sorry to hear this… I can only imagine how devastated you are feeling right now. We are here for you, whatever you need… PLEASE keep us posted on your baby!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads