mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
I feel kind of dumb asking this but in the last 6 months my bulldog has gotten fat but only in her belly area. This is long but I really don't know what to do.

I adopted Gypsy in May 2013 and I think she was around 4 years old. Since I've had her, other than allergies (grass and peas), she hasn't had any major medical issues.

In April/May 2014 I finally found a dog food that did not wreak havoc on Gypsy's skin. I'm convinced she is allergic to peas. I switched her from TOTW to Natural Balance Rabbit & Potato. It has been wonderful! The sores on her feet and chin have completely cleared up and she no longer has the horrible gas that she used to have. During this time she was getting 3/4 cup of kibble in the morning and again at night. She also gets some sort of veggies (broccoli, carrots, or green beans) at lunch time. Occasionally she gets a treat in the later evening which is usually bananas.

A few months ago I noticed her belly area getting big so I lowered her kibble to 1/2 cup in the morning and again at night. Over Christmas break, I realized she hasn't gotten any smaller and her bones in her spine seem more prominent. Her pot belly resembles a pregnant dog but she is fixed and hasn't been around a male dog so I'm 1000% positive she is not pregnant.

She has not changed in any other way. She is still a food fanatic, she still poops & pees the same, she still plays the same, she is still the same amount of lazy, etc. I can gently press on her belly and she is not in any pain.

About a year ago she just quit taking walks. She is very food motivated but she wouldn't walk even for treats! I refuse to drag her down the sidewalk so I gave up on walking and won't force the issue. So, she doesn't get a lot of exercise. We play in the house and outside but overall, she's not moving a whole lot. I work full time so she pretty much sleeps all day.

I started googling last night and now I'm kind of freaked out. Other than a pot belly, she has NO symptoms of Cushings Disease or roundworms. These were the only two things that kept coming up when I googled "my dog has a pot belly". I have been digging thru her poop today and there are no signs of worms.

Is this just the fact that she needs to go on a diet? Do I lower her kibble even more? Should I change her food again?

I'm sure the recommendation is to take her to the vet but I feel kind of dumb doing this. What exactly do I tell him? Do I ask for an X-ray? Do you have him run a bunch of tests? Gypsy HATES the vet and I don't want to traumatize her unnecessarily.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ami

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I don't have much experience with Cushing Disease but there are some members here that can help with what doctors will need for testing...

As for round worm, all you need is a poop sample for the vet to check...roundworms will not necessarily always appear in poop and their eggs are microscopic

Do you have any pictures of her?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this either, but would recommend as Nu suggested taking her to the vet to have her poop checked for parasites, and he can also check her for Cushings disease. If nothing else in her diet or routine have changed then it would be a good idea to have the vet check her out. It could just be that she doesn't exercise anymore, have you weighed her to see if she actually has gained weight, or if her stomach is just swollen? I wouldn't reduce her food any more than you have, as she wouldn't be getting the proper nutrition or vitamins on less food. I hope you figure out what's causing this, and that Gypsy is okay. Please keep us posted. Our member Tracey, just went through this with her dog, and she was diagnosed with Cushings disease, she would be able to give you information and advice on how they diagnose and treat Cushings. I have tagged her for you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would leave the food alone for now... she is doing well on it and for a dog her age 2 cups a day is about right for her. Take a poo sample to the vet and have blood work done to see what might be going on....

sending positive thoughts.... please keep us posted

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My 10 year old boxer Roxie was just diagnosed w/cushings disease. The biggest sign was her peeing in the house, and drinking large amounts of water. Cushings is diagnosed by a blood test, although the initial test is done w/urine sample. I would recommend taking her to a vet, if she's gaining a LOT of weight it could indicate many different things.

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
I would leave the food alone for now... she is doing well on it and for a dog her age 2 cups a day is about right for her. Take a poo sample to the vet and have blood work done to see what might be going on....

sending positive thoughts.... please keep us posted

I agree with this advice 100%.

OP
mzza111

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
Well this update isn't good. Gypsy has a tumor on her heart blocking the aorta which is causing fluid to back up into her belly. The vet drained the fluid and gave her some diuretics. There isn't anything that can be done for her except to make her comfortable.

To say I'm devastated is an understatement.

When I adopted her in May 2013, I honestly thought I'd get 5 years with her. It is some comfort to know she's had a better life in the last year and a half than she had in the 4 years with her previous owners.

Thanks for all the support.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well this update isn't good. Gypsy has a tumor on her heart blocking the aorta which is causing fluid to back up into her belly. The vet drained the fluid and gave her some diuretics. There isn't anything that can be done for her except to make her comfortable.

When I adopted her in May 2013, I honestly thought I'd get 5 years with her. It is some comfort to know she's had a better life in the last year and a half than she had in the 4 years with her previous owners.

OMG... i am so sorry for this news! I am devastated for you. did the vet give any indication how long she came live with this condition? Be sure to give her big hugs and kisses from us.

Sending lots of love and prayers to you all

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My heart goes out to you, this is so sad. My thoughts are with you.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh no.. I'm so sorry :(
What did the vet say? She's 6 now, right?

:hug:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG I'm so very sorry to hear this… :*( I can only imagine how devastated you are feeling right now. We are here for you, whatever you need… PLEASE keep us posted on your baby!!! :hug:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel

Oh no! I am so sorry! She is lucky that you noticed there was something wrong and took action--and that she has had a wonderful life with you! Give her a hug--and an extra cookie for me.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When I first read your original post-heart trouble came to my mind, when you mentioned swollen belly. I didn't post because I didn't want to scare you. I had a toy poodle who presented with congestive heart failure.She did not have a tumor,though. I would have to take her to the vet, for an injection,when she would build up fluid-which also caused a cough. as lasix was not enough. Finally, I brought the medication home, and just gave her the shot myself-as needed. She lived three more years-which actually surprised the veterinarian.
I am so sorry about your baby. There is never enough time-no matter how much time you have. Keep her as happy and comfortable as you can, and just love her-like she knows you do! You have given her a better life and that is what she will remember. :love:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So very sorry hearing this sad news, yes, it is devastating & shocking :(

Please be extra gentle with yourself & family, it takes time to absorb and
come to grips with bad news that is so unkind, unfair and not deserved.

There aren't any guarantees in life and Gypsy has been so loved and well
cared for in your home, it's a blessing given to you both and there was
Divine Purpose that you met. Treasure her all the more while you have her.
Gypsy is happy, loved and lucky for your forever home after being used all
her previous life then tossed aside like so many are BUT not to die then,
unloved, neglected, afraid and alone, she's had YOU.

Thank you for giving her everything and more that Gypsy deserved. Thank
GOD she will not suffer and goes to Heaven where she will be happy & loved
well there too but will wait for you in your time, her true love on Earth.

I pray for you to be comforted by GOD's love, peace, joy & compassion for you
and that healing comes soon to your heart. Please keep it open to love, always
and in due time, adopt another furry one that NEEDS you and your home and all
that you have to give. May GOD be with you & for you, today & every day, Amen!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online