Advice when girl gos in heat

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
This is ny first time having a girl dog. She 6 months. I want to know if any of u have advice for me or recommend any book i can read up on. I need to know what to expect when she in heat. Im new at this. Thank you
71550bca369136fd898f9e4a1219da71.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
what a cutie pie... I have no experience with a heat cycle but will tag a few members to help

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello! [MENTION=11734]beckylu00[/MENTION] I think your girl is beautiful! If you are not planning on breeding her, the best thing to do is have her spayed-before she comes in heat. If not,
At first you may notice a small discharge,and licking herself(if she can reach there) usually during the second week,perhaps sooner you will be seeing a bloody discharge.Her vulva will swell, and sometimes they become extremely swollen-this is preparing them to accept the male. Some dogs show little blood, and some I have had that were not spayed,bled extremely heavy. Their heat cycle usually lasts about three weeks, but do not have her around any males, until 4 weeks. I know from an experience that after the third week-a pregnancy CAN happen! You can make diapers, or buy panties to put on them when they are in heat. Some females get very whiney, or "bitchy" or just plain miserable when they are in heat, and others not so much. It's the hormones,and natures way of telling them that "they are in love"
with someone!??? It can be a pain in the neck-so if not breeding-spay is the way. I have 4 females, and they are all spayed.
p.s. I had a wonderful doberman-my sidekick, and her name was Roxie,and Tracey has a Roxie. It is a great name! Life is much easier if they are spayed-but if you are going to breed-deal with it.:D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] has pretty much explained it. Like she said if you are not breeding I would get her spayed now before she goes into heat to save you from the hassle. If you are planning on breeding, then you need to learn every thing you can on the subject and also get a good mentor, because it is not as easy as it seems.

OP
beckylu00

beckylu00

Apr 29, 2014
@Mandogs thank you. I do want to breed her. Im just doing all my research first .so I know what I'm expecting. Wish there was a magic book that tells me everything step by step what to expect. Lol. Thank God for all you guys on this website

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, I would say that this website IS practically the Magic Book-the closest that you will get!! Better really read up on breeding-and loss of lots of sleep!:bigeyes:

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Oh have fun with her :) she's beautiful. As for heat, I did 6 cycles with my girl. Her first tell we're her nipples started to enlarge, then her vulva swelled. She also became paranoid that we were trying to poison her through food and treats, so she refused to eat if she couldn't pick through and see every kibble splayed on the floor. :fie:
She also became extremely moody and sad at times.

I found woman panties with maxi pads worked better and were cheaper in the long run from store bought diapers. And under no circumstances let her outside alone!!!!!!! No matter how miserable and bad the weather. Boy dogs will come from miles around. I promise!

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.