Thread: Update on DOGEN'S soft pallette surgery

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dogen (Doh-jin)
    Likes (Received)

Default Update on DOGEN'S soft pallette surgery

Not sure if this belongs in health section or here, but anyways Dogen got his soft pallette,nares and nodes(?) done 2 and half weeks ago,so I can now pass on some advice regarding the procedure.
    Quick backstory; We purchased Dogen as a retired stud from a breeder,just turning 4 Years old, when I brought him home I felt there was just something not right about his health, I know bulldogs have laboured breathing but this was extreme. Breeder told me that it's just anxiety, But according to the vet and surgeon that specialize in brachycephalicit surgery, it turns out he was the worst case they've seen. Lots of tissue preventing him from breathing,he was suffering.
    He got the surgery, and the difference is alot, I'll put it this way; the clown grabs a shoe before he heads out the door for a walk and carries it proudly around the block,tromping along,breathing through his nose.

Things to know:
    - if you can find a vet (even if they're a few hours away) that specializes in this surgery and uses a laser, do it. It's just a drive.
    - Dogen was given a 1 in 3 chance of not waking up, this shocked us, but being a pretty lean bulldog helped his case and he survived. We know of a bulldog named Murphy who did not survive this, so be prepared. It's just another reason to get a vet who specializes in this. And yes it's worth the risk, there's no life if there's no quality of life.
    - after surgery demand he stays atleast 2 full days at the vet, we requested that but were told he was doing good enough to go home after 24 hrs post-op, but after constant vomiting we had to rush him to a closer vet to get X-rays etc and than back to the one where he got his surgery a few hours away. It ended up costing us an additional $900 in travel and vet bills, as well as a lot of worry and stress. It didn't have to be that way, so demand!
    That's about it, so good luck to anyone getting this surgery for their bully, they deserve the best life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Update on DOGEN'S soft pallette surgery

Great news and welcome to ebn Dogen.
    Hug your bully today

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I am so happy that Dogen did well with his surgery! You are a great parent-and he looks so happy in the photo! He will now have a great life with you! @DOGEN
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

So happy to hear he is doing so well... need pictures of him proudly carrying his shoe!

GREAT advice and infor to have shared -- thank you!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member Ad0rabull's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gabrielle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Millie
    Likes (Received)

"the clown grabs a shoe before he heads out the door for a walk and carries it proudly around the block,tromping along,breathing through his nose."

Haha love that! I bet your boy is so much happier now. That's awesome that you were able to improve his quality of life so much

And do you know what about the surgery is so risky? Is it the
    anesthesia?

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@DOGEN

Glad to hear it went well and his breathing improved.

We also had the nares, palate, tonsils and saccules done on both my bulldogs.
    While I know it's more dangerous to put brachycephalic breeds under, they also take special precautions, and the survival rate is still high.

So I'm shocked they told you 1 in 3 chance. Did they tell you why the odds were so bad? Was there something specific about Dogen that made it more dangerous?

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Great advice and glad the surgery went well!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dogen (Doh-jin)
    Likes (Received)

@Adorabull
    The risk was swelling of the throat,during surgery and after, if it closed up they would need to do an emergency trach, and if his throat just wouldn't heal he would never be able to breath on his own. @Blueberrys Mom
    it could have been because he wasn't young, or his condition was pretty bad. But they also mentioned if he was fat his risk would go up even more. It's confusing , but I definately got the impression that they weren't just talking about him, but adult bulldogs in general and that he actually had a better chance than most adult bulldogs because he was so lean. It's hard to say. She could've just told us that to prepare us for the worst, who knows.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@DOGEN k, thanks for responding. I was just wondering if it was something else.

But yes, it's definitely much more dangerous for this breed to go under, but I also think these procedures are very important to have done. It definitely improves their quality of life as you can see.

Hugs to your pup from me and my boys and have a great New Year.

Remove Ads