Update on DOGEN'S soft pallette surgery

DOGEN

Nov 23, 2014
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dogen (Doh-jin)
Not sure if this belongs in health section or here, but anyways Dogen got his soft pallette,nares and nodes(?) done 2 and half weeks ago,so I can now pass on some advice regarding the procedure.
Quick backstory; We purchased Dogen as a retired stud from a breeder,just turning 4 Years old, when I brought him home I felt there was just something not right about his health, I know bulldogs have laboured breathing but this was extreme. Breeder told me that it's just anxiety, But according to the vet and surgeon that specialize in brachycephalicit surgery, it turns out he was the worst case they've seen. Lots of tissue preventing him from breathing,he was suffering.
He got the surgery, and the difference is alot, I'll put it this way; the clown grabs a shoe before he heads out the door for a walk and carries it proudly around the block,tromping along,breathing through his nose.

Things to know:
- if you can find a vet (even if they're a few hours away) that specializes in this surgery and uses a laser, do it. It's just a drive.
- Dogen was given a 1 in 3 chance of not waking up, this shocked us, but being a pretty lean bulldog helped his case and he survived. We know of a bulldog named Murphy who did not survive this, so be prepared. It's just another reason to get a vet who specializes in this. And yes it's worth the risk, there's no life if there's no quality of life.
- after surgery demand he stays atleast 2 full days at the vet, we requested that but were told he was doing good enough to go home after 24 hrs post-op, but after constant vomiting we had to rush him to a closer vet to get X-rays etc and than back to the one where he got his surgery a few hours away. It ended up costing us an additional $900 in travel and vet bills, as well as a lot of worry and stress. It didn't have to be that way, so demand!
That's about it, so good luck to anyone getting this surgery for their bully, they deserve the best life.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 154

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am so happy that Dogen did well with his surgery! You are a great parent-and he looks so happy in the photo! He will now have a great life with you! [MENTION=13249]DOGEN[/MENTION] :dance2:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So happy to hear he is doing so well... need pictures of him proudly carrying his shoe!

GREAT advice and infor to have shared -- thank you!

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
"the clown grabs a shoe before he heads out the door for a walk and carries it proudly around the block,tromping along,breathing through his nose."

Haha love that! I bet your boy is so much happier now. That's awesome that you were able to improve his quality of life so much
:)

And do you know what about the surgery is so risky? Is it the
anesthesia?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=13249]DOGEN[/MENTION]

Glad to hear it went well and his breathing improved.

We also had the nares, palate, tonsils and saccules done on both my bulldogs.
While I know it's more dangerous to put brachycephalic breeds under, they also take special precautions, and the survival rate is still high.

So I'm shocked they told you 1 in 3 chance. Did they tell you why the odds were so bad? Was there something specific about Dogen that made it more dangerous?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice and glad the surgery went well!

OP
DOGEN

DOGEN

Nov 23, 2014
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dogen (Doh-jin)
[MENTION=6597]Adorabull[/MENTION]
The risk was swelling of the throat,during surgery and after, if it closed up they would need to do an emergency trach, and if his throat just wouldn't heal he would never be able to breath on his own. [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION]
it could have been because he wasn't young, or his condition was pretty bad. But they also mentioned if he was fat his risk would go up even more. It's confusing , but I definately got the impression that they weren't just talking about him, but adult bulldogs in general and that he actually had a better chance than most adult bulldogs because he was so lean. It's hard to say. She could've just told us that to prepare us for the worst, who knows.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=13249]DOGEN[/MENTION] k, thanks for responding. I was just wondering if it was something else.

But yes, it's definitely much more dangerous for this breed to go under, but I also think these procedures are very important to have done. It definitely improves their quality of life as you can see.

Hugs to your pup from me and my boys and have a great New Year. :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.