Herschels Face Is A Mess...

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Herschel has issues with his face. He has some pretty good acne/"or" under his chin and the sides of his face, right at the bottom of his ropes, have apparently started bothering him. He has been scratching a rubbing quit abit to the point he is starting to mark himself up. It's just his face, he doesn't have any problems with the rest of his skin. We feed him Fromm 4 star, well, he actually eats what he wants because it is nearly impossible to keep him out of the others food. I will say that my first thought was the other food and started feeding him behind closed doors so he couldn't get to the other food. Didn't help. We've also changed his face cleaning regimen which was baby wipes and/or a damp cloth followed by a dry one so not to leave his face damp. Oh, and he generally has a stinky face.

Any suggestions?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Doux pads have really helped Brutus. He gets acne on his chin also. Make sure he is eating out of stainless or ceramic bowls and also make sure if he has rubber toys that he isn't getting any irritation from that.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Doux pads have really helped Brutus. He gets acne on his chin also. Make sure he is eating out of stainless or ceramic bowls and also make sure if he has rubber toys that he isn't getting any irritation from that.

^^^^agreed!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Even though Fromm is great food, there's probably something in it that does not agree with him.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
In regard to 'getting into the other food'...it takes awhile to get allergens out of their
systems. You must make sure he's eating ONLY a food that agrees w/ him and it's a
process, NO treats either (other than a bite from a tolerable kibble).

tracematt

Oct 27, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
peggy sue
my girl has also been scratching her face due to being allregic to grass, she would scratch till it bled i tried witch hazel malacetic wipes etc but she would keep knocking the scabs of and it would continue to bleed and wed go round in a circle, i have now resorted to putting nail caps on her nails to give the wounds time to clear up without her being able to knock the scabs of, so far they are working wonders and within 2 days her face looks 90% better maybe worth a try . good luck

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
my girl has also been scratching her face due to being allregic to grass, she would scratch till it bled i tried witch hazel malacetic wipes etc but she would keep knocking the scabs of and it would continue to bleed and wed go round in a circle, i have now resorted to putting nail caps on her nails to give the wounds time to clear up without her being able to knock the scabs of, so far they are working wonders and within 2 days her face looks 90% better maybe worth a try . good luck

I have never heard of nail caps before! I had to search them, very interesting! Do they glue on?

tracematt

Oct 27, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
peggy sue
Hi yes they come with glue to glue them on and there working wonders for my girl although shes still scratching she isnt causing any damage to her face any more and its clearing up nicely

tracematt

Oct 27, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
peggy sue
2015-01-01 15.41.19.jpg

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Riggins face used to be terrible. Bumps all over that would bleed and bleed. His rope was disgusting...brown and gunky. He was on Fromm Surf & Turf, then Canidae All Life Stages and then back to Fromm Surf & Turf or Salmon Tunalini. It was so bad. The lady that runs our local bulldog rescue switched him to Fromm Pork & Peas or Beef Friatta. She said that all of the Fromm flavors contain chicken fat except those two. I also used UNSCENTED baby wipes to clean him. She had me stop using those on his face and switched me to using witch hazel wipes because they have a dying agent. And lastly but probably one of the most amazing changes....she put him on fermented fish. That stuff is amazing!! Within 2 weeks his face was about 90% clear and within the next week to two weeks, he was 100% clear! [emoji2] His skin was beautiful. And his shedding was cut in half. He has not had a single problem with bumps or acne other than one time when we ran out of the fermented fish. We couldn't get any for about 3 weeks. The bumps came back and he started shedding like crazy again. I got more fish and within a week, bumps we're going away and the shedding was getting better. So now I keep multiple containers stocked up in my freezer. My vet even commented about how beautiful his skin is. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
I forgot to add....Riggins no longer gets any treats unless it is his dog food, apples, watermelon or frozen green beans. He can have certain ones like freeze dried fish but they are expensive so he gets his fruits and veggies. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online