driving me nuts

tracematt

Oct 27, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
peggy sue
Hi all hope someone can help over the last 3 weeks peggy sue has developed an obsession with sniffing everything, it started of that she would spend hours sniffing the bottom of one radiator, its now gone to every radiator in the house every cupboard, eveyones shoes every body basically everything she comes into contact with shes sniffing constantly and i dont no why she has started this, i understand dogs sniff ect but this is excessive, we tell her to stop when shes doing it she will stop but just moves to a new object to sniff can any one shed some light on this please as driving me crazy

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
a lot of Bulldogs have a high level of OCD and this may be her thing... as you stated, it is what a dog does - sniff- it is how the say hello, identify things and relate. She is not hurting anything so try to ignore and she if she stops on her own.... if she is bored, maybe tlk her for an extra walk or have a play session to distrated her

OP
T

tracematt

Oct 27, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
peggy sue
Thank you yes shes defo OCD about it ill give what you said a try and see what happens

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dogs sniff, it's like us reading and using the computer. It keeps the day exciting!

OP
T

tracematt

Oct 27, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
peggy sue
Dogs sniff, it's like us reading and using the computer. It keeps the day exciting!

Hi yes I understand that but it really is obsessive she will stand at 1 radiator or whatever she wants to sniff and if allowed would stand sniffing it for a good half hour then move on to the next thing and do the same it's definitely not normal behaviour

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi yes I understand that but it really is obsessive she will stand at 1 radiator or whatever she wants to sniff and if allowed would stand sniffing it for a good half hour then move on to the next thing and do the same it's definitely not normal behaviour

She'll grow out of it, but Roger has you covered with that link and Christine is right about bullies being OCD. Good luck!!

OP
T

tracematt

Oct 27, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
peggy sue
What would trigger this I'm in the UK and where we live chances of any animals being around to spook her is 0 she still eats and listens to commands etc nothing else odd but the sniffing strange it's recently started. I have also noticed since the sniffing started that her breathing is also louder could it be something to do with this maybe her nose is blocked or something perhaps so she's having to sniff more I could be just clutching at straws

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

Does she stop at anytime (i.e. eat, play)? You did mention you called her and she stopped temporarily. In an article I read this behavior is limiting stress of some sort. Is anything you changed in the house? new soap or detergent used on floor and or rugs? Are the radiators making noise of have they just been painted? Something is causing Peggy Sue to be anxious and her sniffing is a form of relieving that anxiety.

When you call her and she stops reward her for stopping. If it continues I would go see your vet. I hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If you recently turned on the radiator because it's gotten cold this winter it may be triggering that response too. I agree giving her treats when she does stop sniffing will definitely help. She may also be telling you something maybe wrong with the radiator.

OP
T

tracematt

Oct 27, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
peggy sue
Does she stop at anytime (i.e. eat, play)? You did mention you called her and she stopped temporarily. In an article I read this behavior is limiting stress of some sort. Is anything you changed in the house? new soap or detergent used on floor and or rugs? Are the radiators making noise of have they just been painted? Something is causing Peggy Sue to be anxious and her sniffing is a form of relieving that anxiety.

When you call her and she stops reward her for stopping. If it continues I would go see your vet. I hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

Hi she stops for eating and playing etc it's only when she's not doing those things she's sniffing constantly nothing has changed at all in the house we also thought something may be wrong with the radiators so had them checked and all is fine but it's gone from the radiators to anything in her sight or in front of her nose and if nothing is avaliable to sniff then she happily sniffs the air is just don't get it at all as you say it's obviously a stress thing but have no idea what's causing the stress. I will try treats but am going on a vet trip just to be sure nothing underlying is happening thank you all and will keep you posted

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would continue trying to redirect her when she does this and eventually she will stop. Brutus is a toy nut and if we don't take his toys away around 7pm every night, he will play constantly and not relax. Now the reason why I mention this is because Brutus will not have any issues until his toys are away, and for about 20-30mins directly after, he will obsessively lick his feet. I have to redirect him away from this until he stops. He is stressed that I put his toys away for the night. Bulldogs are a strange brew!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I agree that Peggy Sue may be stressed/anxious about something. Dogs sniff naturally of course but how you describe it sounds rather excessive. Do make sure she's getting plenty of exercise like regular walks, and play time.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Also, I think you said you live in a rural area? could mice be trying to come in for the winter and maybe she is smelling that? We do not live in a rural area and they will try to find a warm spot for the winter.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online