Puppy Treats

hairco

Dec 28, 2014
Country
American
Bulldog(s) Names
Boss Hog
As u know Boss Hogg is only 6 wks old and i was wondering if i can give him doggie treets and if i can what kind? Thanks

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, and welcome to EBN to you and Boss Hogg. At 6 weeks he's still very young and his tummy could be sensitive, plus he should be on a puppy formula to ensure he's getting the proper vitamins, minerals and nutrients he needs for growing. I wouldn't worry about giving him treats yet, but if you are potty training him or other training, and you want to reward him, you can just give him a piece or two of his own kibble. I usually carry a little sandwich baggy with a handful of their kibble to give as treats. I would wait until he's a little older to introduce store bought treats, maybe at 10 weeks old. You still want to be careful on which ones to buy, many store bought pet treats and cookies are full of fillers and chemicals that aren't good for dogs. We use Fruitables, Wellness soft chews, and Benny Bully's liver snaps for occasional treats. Watch the labels and choose treats with limited and natural ingredients. We also give our guys fresh fruits like bananas, cut up apples, strawberries, blueberries, and watermelon, and plain unsweetened yogurt on the morning kibble, plus we give them cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans on the evening kibble. If you decide to give him any of these toppers, introduce one at a time and for one week before introducing a new one, that way you will know if he doesn't tolerate or shows allergic reactions to anyone them, and you will know which one caused it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would just use his kibble at that young of age... do not want too much stress to the belly

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agreed! I have giving pups this young a frozen green bean to chew on as well, the cold soothes their teething gums and they also learn to love them as treats. Just a couple per day though, as posted above their digestive system is very immature right now.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
6 weeks is so young to leave his litter. What did the breeder tell you about his feeding and care when you picked him up? I'm not a big expert on this but I would think a lot of what you can feed him now had to do with how he was weaned and what he was fed before you got him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.