Looking for Advice - Kain (Licking / Excess Saliva not himself)

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Evening everyone, long long time since i've been around, I apologize as I got a new position within work and it's been an absolutely ridiculous pace in 2014.

Question for you guys, Last few day's (2 to 3) for sure, Kain started at times licking like crazy with an excess of Saliva. It will clear up and then he's 'somewhat' back to normal but still skittish / scared so to speak and not himself.
I called the vet today and was going to run him down but of course at that time he was the best he has been and close to back to normal as he was the last few days so I waited and now tonight he started licking again and seems 'scared'.

I know in the past when he had a fever / threw up it scares him so that doesn't seem out of sort to me, but I question the cause / reason for the saliva / licking, I suspect it's a heavy mucas load that needs puked up but he keeps licking it and holding it in.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Like I said it's been going like this the last few days, we keep checking his temperature and it's right around 100 degrees which is normal so no fever, he's going to the bathroom, stretching etc like normal, but has times were he licks and shows signes like he's scared. definatly not himself.

Here is a link to show a small example of what i'm describing. don't mind the color as it's bad but grabbed what I had.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Is there a possibility that he may have swallowed something-a toy, a sock? That could cause drooling,excess saliva....
One of my dogs was doing that, and it turned out that she had itches under her tail and once I cleaned her, she stopped. He does seem to look distressed.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Please take Kain in for Vet evaluation, hoping it's not serious but he's
exhibiting stress. Please update us, prayers of protection & correct dx
said on y'all's behalf...GOD favor & bless Kain!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
NItschke did this a lot when his belly was upset... I would get him in for a check up and make sure he did not get into something and has a blockage starting

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the gang… it could be that he swallowed something, or is just in general distress. Keep us posted!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Vince! Nice to see you and handsome Kain!

I agree something is not right here.... I would be worried too. Bring your video with you as this will help the vet (because he will possibly not show any signs of this at the appointment). Please keep us posted!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel had similar symptoms minus the drooling. We took her to the vet and intially treated symptomatically . She kept puking....we took her back and found she had pacreatitis.

I would take Kain to the vet to rule out this issue. Jewels liver enzymes were elevated secondary to the pancreatitis as well as the serum amalayse. An ultrasound was performed and the vet found and enlarged pancreas. The casue for this is usually high fatty diet but can alos be toxin. Tis the season when we give our bullies treats....just got to watch the fats.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Just so I don't leave this open with no conclusion, I took him in and the best we can come up with is it is/was not critical that day to justify a indepth scan or scope, she thought upset stomach as well, he did poop while we were there and everything was perfectly normal so she prescribed a medication to sooth / help his stomach and we have just been montioring him, he hasn't been as bad last two days and we are home so he's sleeping and taking advantage of the extra attention.

As for snacks, I haven't been around for awhile, but Kain never gets anything out of his normal FROMM, his treat for any reward (IE training etc) is simply a small fromm pellet, no need for anything else, he is in extremely great condition and i'd never jeopardize his health over bad treats just cause it's holidays :)

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hopefully, he gets better, it seemed like he was in some sort of pain, maybe from his upset tummy.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Looks like he has something caught in his mouth or throat, did the Vet check out his throat or mouth? Could it be he is having a hard time breathing? Please let us know how he is doing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just so I don't leave this open with no conclusion, I took him in and the best we can come up with is it is/was not critical that day to justify a indepth scan or scope, she thought upset stomach as well, he did poop while we were there and everything was perfectly normal so she prescribed a medication to sooth / help his stomach and we have just been montioring him, he hasn't been as bad last two days and we are home so he's sleeping and taking advantage of the extra attention.

As for snacks, I haven't been around for awhile, but Kain never gets anything out of his normal FROMM, his treat for any reward (IE training etc) is simply a small fromm pellet, no need for anything else, he is in extremely great condition and i'd never jeopardize his health over bad treats just cause it's holidays :)

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback.

Keep us posted... hopefully it is just an upset belly

Coree

Aug 1, 2017
California
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Vince, did you ever find out what was causing Cain to do this? The reason that I'm asking is because my boy is experiencing the same behavior.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Quite often air licking is caused by excessive salivation, what, in turn, can be caused by nausea. Nausea causes salivation, Saliva is running and he has to lick it. Nausea usually comes from digestive tract problems, but at the moment symptoms are inconclusive. It can be stomach flu, gastritis, pancreatitis, blockage with swallowed object etc. Hopefully it will pass without serious issues.
Another thing might be useful to check is his tail pocket and anal glands. Sometimes if there is irritation they can become nervous, and as they don't really know that they have a tail, they become very nervous and lick like this.

Coree

Aug 1, 2017
California
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Thank you for your reply Natalia. I was just able to find my way back to this website. I am going to start a new post regarding my boys health issues, as we are still dealing with this same behavior even after tail amputation, and quite a few other medical treatments. I just wanted to let you know that I appriciate your response.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.