TRYING TO TRAIN MY BULLDOG ROCCO

roccogarza

Dec 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Having a hard time training my 12 week old rocco he is kept indoors trying to figure out his time schedule (urine,poop) any advice , we bought some puppy training spray from petsmart but not sure if its working ????

Attachments

• 20141217_144318.jpg
    20141217_144318.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 139

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He's a doll! Most pups need to go out after breakfast, after lunch, after dinner and right before bedtime. With a little more trips between meals. If he goes out the same way every time then he'll let you know when he has to go by standing there. We kept pee pee pads around in case of emergencies, never used the spray.

OP
roccogarza

roccogarza

Dec 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
He's a doll! Most pups need to go out after breakfast, after lunch, after dinner and right before bedtime. With a little more trips between meals. If he goes out the same way every time then he'll let you know when he has to go by standing there. We kept pee pee pads around in case of emergencies, never used the spray.

thank you we just got him and we all love him!!!! awesome thanks for the advice hopefully he starts helping us out ha ha !!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Phil gave you a great start... after meals, after playtime and before bed time... but also keep in mind that a good guideline is they can only hold the bladder 1 hour more than they are old.. so 3 months means they have to go every 4 hours

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
He's beautiful!!!
Tether him to you, so you can keep him in your line of sight.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is a handsome boy and still a baby. It will take several months for him to get potty trained and it will be almost 6 to 7 months before he is totally potty trained and even then he may still have an accident every once in a while. Good advice above already. The thing to remember is as soon as he wakes up go outside, before eating and after eating, go outside, after play, go outside, and if he is just hanging out for more than a couple hours, go outside. The more you take him outside to potty and praise him like crazy when he goes, the sooner he will learn. Be consistent and patient, and don't get angry at him if he goes in the house, because he is still learning and it's up to you to stay on schedule and read his signs of when he needs to go out. Some will get good at it and then regress a little. Don't get discouraged, just keep at the training, it will be over before you know it. Remember a human baby doesn't learn not to go in their diaper over night, it takes time.

OP
roccogarza

roccogarza

Dec 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
He is a handsome boy and still a baby. It will take several months for him to get potty trained and it will be almost 6 to 7 months before he is totally potty trained and even then he may still have an accident every once in a while. Good advice above already. The thing to remember is as soon as he wakes up go outside, before eating and after eating, go outside, after play, go outside, and if he is just hanging out for more than a couple hours, go outside. The more you take him outside to potty and praise him like crazy when he goes, the sooner he will learn. Be consistent and patient, and don't get angry at him if he goes in the house, because he is still learning and it's up to you to stay on schedule and read his signs of when he needs to go out. Some will get good at it and then regress a little. Don't get discouraged, just keep at the training, it will be over before you know it. Remember a human baby doesn't learn not to go in their diaper over night, it takes time.

i appreciate the advice !!!! you are right about the baby i have 3 of them ha ha

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You have been given great advice by the gang… just be patient, it will take some time!!! Good luck and more pics please… Lol

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If I remember correctly, you got him at a pet shop? If so, he has been crated and has had no potty training until now, so he is a little behind, but he will catch on-just keep at it!

OP
roccogarza

roccogarza

Dec 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
If I remember correctly, you got him at a pet shop? If so, he has been crated and has had no potty training until now, so he is a little behind, but he will catch on-just keep at it!

yeah he just poops in his crate which is fine but when i try to get him out so i can clean it he steps all in it ?? not sure how to prevent it

TylerV76

Dec 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Im no expert at all but I have a couple suggestions that are working well for my 16 week old. With these suggestions shes had one accident because I thought about reacting instead of reacting.

I feed my girl 3 times a day. 6:30 am 12:30 and 6:30 pm. About 15 minutes after she eats we go out. Sometimes she goes pee only so I take her back out again in another 15 minutes. Generally by then shes ready to go. If not we go in another 15. I leave the most recent pile out there and clean up the previous one. It seems like the recent one triggers her brain to know what to do. Take a treat with you outside and after he goes outside make a HUGE deal of it and give him a treat. Only give him that particular treat when he goes outside. Also as soon as he goes take him inside. Dont play or anything till you get inside.

Make sure he's on a quality food that is agreeing with him. Stool should be firm not runny. This will help regulate him more than anything.

Make sure his crates not too big for him. He should only be able to stretch out and basically turn around in it. Generally dogs wont go where they sleep so if the cage is too big he will have room to use it as a restroom.

Keep an eye on him always, literally always, even if you have to keep him tethered to you. If you ever think "I wonder if he needs to go" immediately take him. Worst case you waste a trip outside. Best case he goes outside. If he starts sniffing, walking sideways or whatever, take him out. Dont wait to see what happens next.

IMO potty training is the absolute worst. Its tedious, mind boggling and sometimes id rather sleep in than go outside. One thing I always remember though is Id rather spend 5 minutes outside in 15 degree cold than an hour cleaning my carpets.

Itll happen though but it takes time.

OP
roccogarza

roccogarza

Dec 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Im no expert at all but I have a couple suggestions that are working well for my 16 week old. With these suggestions shes had one accident because I thought about reacting instead of reacting.

I feed my girl 3 times a day. 6:30 am 12:30 and 6:30 pm. About 15 minutes after she eats we go out. Sometimes she goes pee only so I take her back out again in another 15 minutes. Generally by then shes ready to go. If not we go in another 15. I leave the most recent pile out there and clean up the previous one. It seems like the recent one triggers her brain to know what to do. Take a treat with you outside and after he goes outside make a HUGE deal of it and give him a treat. Only give him that particular treat when he goes outside. Also as soon as he goes take him inside. Dont play or anything till you get inside.

Make sure his crates not too big for him. He should only be able to stretch out and basically turn around in it. Generally dogs wont go where they sleep so if the cage is too big he will have room to use it as a restroom.

Keep an eye on him always, literally always, even if you have to keep him tethered to you. If you ever think "I wonder if he needs to go" immediately take him. Worst case you waste a trip outside. Best case he goes outside. If he starts sniffing, walking sideways or whatever, take him out. Dont wait to see what happens next.

IMO potty training is the absolute worst. Its tedious, mind boggling and sometimes id rather sleep in than go outside. One thing I always remember though is Id rather spend 5 minutes outside in 15 degree cold than an hour cleaning my carpets.

Itll happen though but it takes time.
thanks for the information !!! he is currently eating precise and his stools have not been runny his cage is average size not to big but he has been using his crate as his restroom we are trying to train him daily so I'm sure he will come around sooner or later
Make sure he's on a quality food that is agreeing with him. Stool should be firm not runny. This will help regulate him more than anything.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.