Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Coyotes in Northern VA

They used to be around me but surburban growth has pretty much run them out. They were so populous that 30 years ago the county has residents shooting or trapping them to bring the population down. Now you have to go another 20 miles west of me to run in to them.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I think they're on the rise everywhere. We've had them in our neighborhood and I've heard stories of small missing pets locally. They are very bold. When I was at my dad's memorial service in Phoenix, you could hear them howling at night--really creepy. One walked right through the yard in the middle of the day while we were there. They will kill small dogs and cats, so I'd be careful. I haven't seen one here, but we have bears, deer, you name it!

My husband saw a cougar early one morning about 5 miles from our house! It really freaked him out. We've been told by the DNR that they don't exist in Michigan. Bill said he was pumping gas and saw what he originally thought was a big dog, but it was too big and had a long tail and walked across the highway--like a cat. The clerk in the gas station said it wasn't the first sighting. DNR still denies they're here, but a friend in Minnesota said it is because they don't want to take it off the endangered list (?).

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

@Canelospeeps I do the same with visiting family in the country. My dad lives on several acres in Florida (I know everyone thinks of Florida as one big beach, but there is countryside also) and there is all sorts of wildlife running around. My dad's property has a large fenced in area where we let the dogs run, and we always keep an eye out, but I'm never worried about coyotes because my dad has 2 huge Great Pyerenes dogs. They love to cuddle inside, but they patrol the perimeter when outside and are known for killing coyotes that prey on livestock so Ruckus has built in body guards.
    @nubonics I don't think a coyote would attack a dog as big as Curly, but I'd be careful with the smaller ones and most certainly with the cat. In my experience coyotes aren't super brave, their moves are more to dart out of the shadows and grab a small animal and dart back in. Make sure your back yard is well lit and that will deter them some. With light preventing them from hiding and humans sitting on the porch, I'd be surprised if they ventured into the middle of your yard. I wonder if the city would set traps if you called and complained about multiple sitings?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Canelo
    Likes (Received)

Florida is NOT country? LOL. We live in Texas but have property in Florida, all country. In okeechobee we have gators in the canal behind the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

When we first purchased our home about 5 yrs ago, the neighborhood was newly developed & I saw coyotes mostly at night. I could hear them more than anything. Because I'm a scardy cat no matter (even with another loose dog) - my husband bought me a tazer. Its small, but powerful and has a flashlight on it too. It's the kind that actually has to make contact, but honestly its the BEST thing ever. I've actually used it twice (not literally) but since it makes a really loud "taze noise" if that even makes sense... that actually scares them off. It rather loud... I've used it to scare one off when I was walking down the block to check the mailbox... the coyote was standing at the edge of the trees in the unfinished part looking out... and I used it once when there was a loose pit trying to charge us! The noise alone scared them off... I've never actually had to use it...and since the neighborhood is pretty much done in my area I haven't seen them anymore.... but I feel good knowing I have it & it will protect us, not only for another animals, but hey... a human too. You wouldn't believe how many people randomly stop us on walks to ask if we are breeding or willing to sell Tyson. Are they nuts?!?!? Anyway....for around $50, you can't go wrong!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads