Just found out my new English bulldog pup is completely deaf, breeder negotiating?

Lucas Manchego

Dec 24, 2014
Bay area California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brixton
First of all merry christmas! I am new to this community and am excited to explore this site, and hopefully soak up some wisdom from those who are expeirenced with this breed. I purchased my AKC puppy from a breeder in Stockton CA on the 19th of Dec. he had a vet health check saying the puppy was in good health on the 17th of Dec. About two days after bringing the pup home we began to notice some repeating odd behavior like the puppy not waking up from naps when we would come in or outside and the startled awaking from naps when touched. After a health visit with our veterinarian on the 24th of Dec we learned that he had no reaction to any audible stimulus(he is otherwise very healthy). The vet believed him to have signs of congenital deafness. I contacted the breeder shortly after the visit and let him know that he sold me a deaf puppy, understandibly he reflected on the health check he had done and said he that the puppy had always been alert etc. I told him my girlfriend and I were willing to keep him and I could settle for only half a refund. We love the puppy and he has already been responding to the sign language we have been teaching him. Unfortunately the breeder is saying he is only willing to take the puppy and give me a full refund if I can provide documentation that his deafness is either congenital or occured before the 19th of Dec when I purchased the dog. I tried hard to generously work it out with the breeder "man to man" and re-assure him that the puppy did not go deaf in the four days he had been sleeping around my town home and playing tug-o-war. but I find my self left with having to schedule a BAER test to be done at UC Davis. Now if this test determines likely congenital deafness would I be obligated to contact the AKC? I am learning as I go, but I can't imagine the AKC would allow future breading of the sire and dam of this pup? what kind of service should I expect from the breeder pending this test proves what is obvious to me and my vetenarian? Is it reasonable to try to keep this special needs puppy and recieve a partial refund, or should I anticipate a full refund (plus the cost of the Baer test?) and return the puppy. Any light shed on this would be greatly appreciated as I work though this potentially heartbreaking situation. Thanks.

- Lucas

Attachments

• IMG_3634.jpg
    IMG_3634.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 877
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 858

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
First of all merry christmas! I am new to this community and am excited to explore this site, and hopefully soak up some wisdom from those who are expeirenced with this breed. I purchased my AKC puppy from a breeder in Stockton CA on the 19th of Dec. he had a vet health check saying the puppy was in good health on the 17th of Dec. About two days after bringing the pup home we began to notice some repeating odd behavior like the puppy not waking up from naps when we would come in or outside and the startled awaking from naps when touched. After a health visit with our veterinarian on the 24th of Dec we learned that he had no reaction to any audible stimulus(he is otherwise very healthy). The vet believed him to have signs of congenital deafness. I contacted the breeder shortly after the visit and let him know that he sold me a deaf puppy, understandibly he reflected on the health check he had done and said he that the puppy had always been alert etc. I told him my girlfriend and I were willing to keep him and I could settle for only half a refund. We love the puppy and he has already been responding to the sign language we have been teaching him. Unfortunately the breeder is saying he is only willing to take the puppy and give me a full refund if I can provide documentation that his deafness is either congenital or occured before the 19th of Dec when I purchased the dog. I tried hard to generously work it out with the breeder "man to man" and re-assure him that the puppy did not go deaf in the four days he had been sleeping around my town home and playing tug-o-war. but I find my self left with having to schedule a BAER test to be done at UC Davis. Now if this test determines likely congenital deafness would I be obligated to contact the AKC? I am learning as I go, but I can't imagine the AKC would allow future breading of the sire and dam of this pup? what kind of service should I expect from the breeder pending this test proves what is obvious to me and my vetenarian? Is it reasonable to try to keep this special needs puppy and recieve a partial refund, or should I anticipate a full refund (plus the cost of the Baer test?) and return the puppy. Any light shed on this would be greatly appreciated as I work though this potentially heartbreaking situation. Thanks.

- Lucas

Hi Lucus
My apologies that you are going through this. I had a breeder spat with one of my english bulldogs before. ( my bulldog past away 2 days after we bought him). First thing I would say personally is that I would return the puppy for a full refund. I know you guys are attached but this might be the best option. I would also schedule a complete BAER test. If the deafness is in fact congential, contact the breeder with the results and tell him that you want your money back ( or whatever refund you and your girlfriend wants) if he doesn't oblige contact the AKC immediately ( you might even want to contact them right now). They are going to ask you send them the letter detailing what is going on and the results of the BAER test. If the breeder still doesn't obliged you might want to call a lawyer. Unfortunately this is what we had to do just to get half of our money back. What does the contract says. Does it states a 1 year health guarantee. Have a legal person read it over. That's what i did and although they were "guarentees, and good health written in the contract", my contract was pretty much trash. and this was from a supposedly top notch breeder

Rereading your message again. Make sure you detail everything to the AKC, there motto is that they do not get into breeder and seller issues, but please be vocal and let them know what is going on. How does the breeder sound on the phone? hostile upset? does he seem like he's willing to work with you. If not I wouldn't expect to much from him. Also did you register the puppy already with AKC. I don't have much background with dealing with deaf english bulldogs, however i did have deaf great dane

Sorry for rambling but I went through this just a year ago, it was the longest drawn out 5 months.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN! your little guy is a beauty! I hope your breeder steps up and does the right thing with you... wishing you the best of luck in the outcome you are looking for.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh geez, he is so cute!!! I hope it all works out.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I hope it works out for you. I would probably keep him and deal with the situation. I fear if returned, he will not fare as well as he would in your home and if this breeder has a heart, end up in rescue. If they don't, I'm not sure what they will do with him. I'm not trying to be harsh, just giving you a realistic view of what this pup could be facing.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I was thinking along the same lines as [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]. If I returned the puppy back to the breeder I would likely be very worried with how the pup is treated and if any effort would be done to help him to achieve the best quality of life. I too hope the breeder will meet you half-way as it sounds like a very reasonable offer on your part. Do keep us updated.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I would keep the pup, because he is a very handsome baby. Deaf bullies can lead a very normal life and it's good he is already learning some sign language. I fear that if you return the pup to the breeder the pup will not have a loving life and may also be put down. It sounds like the breeder does not want to take responsibility for the pup. They should at least refund part of your money and pay for the testing. I am a breeder and that is what I would do. Just because the pup is deaf in my opinion doesn't warrant all your money back, but at least part of it. The breeder also should never breed those two again, until they can research the pedigree and find out which side the deaf gene came from, then take that bully out of the breeding program. You have a very beautiful pup, and I think he will give you a life full of love. I will tag a member who has a deaf bully and she can help you with any questions you may have for him. [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION]

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Just found out my new English bulldog pup is completely deaf, breeder negotia...

Fantastic advice
If you got any questions let me know
I just want to say that make sure you are 100% sure you want to raise this pup rather than change your mind later and give back untrained bully full of problems
Deafies are quick learners and wonderful companions if you put your time and patience in it - but this isn't for every one and loads of them end up in shelters with behavioural problems as people who wanted them did not put enough of time into their training x

All i can say deafies are not handicapped dogs - they use more of of their other senses and you wouldn't know my deaf girl is deaf - my hearing bulldog is "deafer and dumber " than Shy is xx

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Welcome to EBN [MENTION=13390]Lucas Manchego[/MENTION]:) Sorry you have to go through this with your puppy, he is gorgeous. My 7 year old bulldog don't hear very well so I use some signs for things we do daily, it's working great:) I would keep the puppy but I don't know your situation, so it's hard to say what's right and wrong. I'm sadly not clued up on what rights you have but it's very irresponsible of the breeder to not help you out here:( I hope everything works out and truthfully... bulldogs rarely listen anyway, hearing or not<3

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
I once fostered a deaf pit bull for a year and she was the most amazing dog. Her deafness was not a handicap to her whatsoever, and it was actually really convenient at times (she wasn't bothered by thunder, the vacuum, fireworks etc. and wasn't easily awoken from naps if we were being noisy). She knew sign language and functioned as well as any hearing dog. Deaf dogs can be trained just as well as hearing dogs, you just have to train them a little differently.

Clearly I am biased, but I would keep the puppy if it were me even if the breeder was uncooperative and didn't offer a refund. Like others have said, I worry about the treatment the puppy would receive if returned, and deaf dogs really are wonderful. However, I would probably contact the AKC about the situation, especially if the breeder were to continue breeding the same sire and dam. I hope you can negotiate a partial refund from the breeder and everything works out for you and your puppy! Good luck!

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
I'd have to agree with many of the others, I'd fear what would happen to the puppy if u returned it to the breeder. More than likely the breeder would have the puppy killed because he can't sell it or won't sell it. I don't know your situation, but if it were me, I'd keep that cutie pie! Even contacting the AKC might not yield any results. Even though the dog that has deafness in it's pedigree should be removed from the breeding program doesn't mean that'll happen and it may be that they just make the breeder document that deafness is in the genes...

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Congratulations! I love deafness, what a blessing you have. First , let me explain . I am sign language interpreter, I will be entering my 20 years in the profession. I have been around deaf dogs and cats. It is normal that he will not wake up when he hears you come home . by instinct he might get up and sense your time of arrival from work. Please keep him , the little challenges will be so rewarding and you will just love him to death. Very good keep up the sign language commands. Have great adventure and do it for the dog sake he deserves a loving home just as if he was a hearing dog. Check with AKC how they handle this situation it will be interesting what they say. You will be so happy and this boy is worth every penny as a hearing dog. Well blessings to you do update on the process would love to hear about them.

OP
Lucas Manchego

Lucas Manchego

Dec 24, 2014
Bay area California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brixton
I can't thank you guys enough for all the support. The input is all very helpful, I suppose its only right for this breed to have a great community. We will be making an baer appointment first thing monday morning and reaching out to the AKC once we have test results.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can't thank you guys enough for all the support. The input is all very helpful, I suppose its only right for this breed to have a great community. We will be making an baer appointment first thing monday morning and reaching out to the AKC once we have test results.

Please keep us posted on how it goes and give the litte cutie hugs from all of us

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.