Just found out my new English bulldog pup is completely deaf, breeder negotiating?

OP
Lucas Manchego

Lucas Manchego

Dec 24, 2014
Bay area California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brixton
Well after talking with the breeder late last night I had to return the puppy for a full refund. Just kidding! the breeder was resistant to my original request but after some "back and forth" he came to terms of a half refund and will be testing his sire and dam to see which side the gene came from to prevent this from happening again, and I will be hunkering down with brixton for the long haul. The breeder was great once he realized I was not trying to scam him, he and his family came to my house for the partial refund and when I asked about possible future business later on down the road he told me it would be a while for him to get the testing done and have a litter but when he does eventually have a litter he would sell me another pup for half price if desired. Once again thanks for the support and the prayers. I will be contacting the AKC this week with a few questions I still have regarding the deaf pup. I also brought up my concern with the vet who gave the puppy a clean bill of health and ultimately caused this whole situation. The breeder said he contacted the vet yesterday and will be going to see him tomorrow. I offered my assertive support in holding the vet accountable for his lapse in practice or judgment or whatever you want to call it. Either way I look forward to continuing the adventure we have started. Time to let little Brixtons fun and training continue in peace! ....

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
Yay, that's great news!!!:wiggle:I'm so glad everything worked out for you and your new baby! There are lots of videos on YouTube to help you train Brixton and Deaf Dogs Rock on Facebook is a good resource if you ever run into trouble or need some support from those that understand the particular joys and challenges of raising a deaf puppy. Best of luck to you and your little guy!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh thank god! I have to say I was heading for disappointment when I first started reading this. I understand that you would have had to do what was right for your family, but I sure am glad you decided to keep Brixton. I think you will be very happy in your decision. Woo Hoo!! Good luck

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Yulia-thank you! Cooper's seizures were about 4-5 months after his rabies vaccine, but only 1 month after surgery for a urethral prolapse, In my & medical opinion don't think there was a connection to surgery & seizures due to the severity sudden onset of cluster seizures, but it did cross our minds. I wouldn't have given Cady the rabies vaccine except it's required for boarding and we had to board her for a trip planned long before we got her.

Thank you! Once again I am so sorry about your precious boy. RIP Cooper...

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Well after talking with the breeder late last night I had to return the puppy for a full refund. Just kidding! the breeder was resistant to my original request but after some "back and forth" he came to terms of a half refund and will be testing his sire and dam to see which side the gene came from to prevent this from happening again, and I will be hunkering down with brixton for the long haul. The breeder was great once he realized I was not trying to scam him, he and his family came to my house for the partial refund and when I asked about possible future business later on down the road he told me it would be a while for him to get the testing done and have a litter but when he does eventually have a litter he would sell me another pup for half price if desired. Once again thanks for the support and the prayers. I will be contacting the AKC this week with a few questions I still have regarding the deaf pup. I also brought up my concern with the vet who gave the puppy a clean bill of health and ultimately caused this whole situation. The breeder said he contacted the vet yesterday and will be going to see him tomorrow. I offered my assertive support in holding the vet accountable for his lapse in practice or judgment or whatever you want to call it. Either way I look forward to continuing the adventure we have started. Time to let little Brixtons fun and training continue in peace! ....

What a great outcome! Enjoy your beautiful puppy!

I know very little about deaf, but I wonder if it is possible to teach the puppy to come (kinda like calling his name) by stumping on the floor or something. I'd imagine dogs can be sensitive to vibrations...just a thought...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Fantastic outcome.... great job!!! Give Brixton hugs from all of us

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I love happy endings! Brixton will turn out to be extremely smart, as he will use his other senses even more-If you teach him human sign language, he would be wonderful to visit deaf children-or hearing children to teach them about deafness. He can represent! Wish you all the best!!:idea::up:

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
I haven't been on here in a long time but this is the first one I read since returning. So happy it all worked out! I got tears in my eyes reading that you are keeping him. He's going to have a wonderful, loving life with you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
What kind of procedure did your vet go through to decide to have the testing done? I believe my little Penny may be hard of hearing, deaf, or an ignore box! We can walk all around her while she's sleeping, my husband even took a shower while she was napping in the bathroom and she never flinched! If I snap my fingers when ages doing a bad thing she stops, but otherwise she just runs around like a happy pup that won't listen!
My vet clapped above her head when we took her in to keep out health contract, she didn't flinch, but my vet didn't say anything. I'm worried about my kiss monster, chunka-monka!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I'm so glad you're keeping him! He'll have a better life with you than if he had been returned to the breeder for sure. Congratulations, he's adorable!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=13390]Lucas Manchego[/MENTION], you scared me there with your first few lines of your post! :whew: I'm so happy to know you will be keeping your puppy and thank you for all your dedication and hard work with Brixton. I know you will be paid one thousand fold by the love and devotion you receive back from him!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Such Wonderful News that you will be keeping your Precious Brixton. I am so-oo-oo Happy. Brixton was sent to You and Your Family for a reason. I really do believe this, You are Special People who God knows will Love and Take Great Care of this Precious Soul. Love to all of You, Susan and Elmo

OP
Lucas Manchego

Lucas Manchego

Dec 24, 2014
Bay area California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brixton
Hey [MENTION=13438]CrazyDogMom[/MENTION], some tests are hard to get a sense of hearing from especially a clap from your vet or any type of test with movement that accompanies it as we can imagine puppies and especially pups that cant hear are very alert and sensible to movement, light, etc.. I wish I could remember the name of the tool my vet used for the test during the health check. It was metal and she would hit it against the counter and it would cause it vibrate and hum a little then she would position it near his ears (anybody feel free to remind me if they know) and we saw no response from the pup, that accompanied with intact eardrums and no significant ear infections (wich a vet should check for during a health check) led us to believe it could be congenital deafness. Good luck to you and your family.

Pamperedchefjen

Jan 2, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bosco, Jasmin
I hope things work out for you with the breeder. You have a tough decision to make. I have had the priviledge of having a deaf Bulldog coming up on 7 yrs now. We had contacted the breeder and her only guy not spoken for was our deaf bully. We figured no one wanted him and heard many breeders euthanize as they do not want to risk passing a defect to their line. We arranged to adopt him for just the cost of his medical bills. We later learned (adopting our 2nd pup from her neighbor) that we were the 76th family to try to take him. I have to say, the bond we have is very special. He pays such close attention to us that we did not believe he was deaf (until the smoke detector went off the first time & the two pups handled it so differently!) We had no trouble training him, and I would choose a deaf pup again. If you decide to keep him here are a couple things:
1) spend a lot if time cuddling, they have to learn to trust you completely
2) when you wake him put your hand in front of his nose then very gently touch his head or ears to wake him up; you will find he will expect to be surprised and will not be as startled over time
3) he must trust your hands and watch them for signals, ours is food motivated and we had no trouble teaching him to watch our hands
4) choose your hand signs and don't underestimate him; we met a dog trainer after we spent time training these huge gestures and she had taught her dog 48 signals. Each finger meant something, etc
5) crate training is a must (but our biggest challenge) as a small puppy he knocked over an old fashioned fan and I can still see his nose getting closer...and closer to the blade as I ran across the room and scooped him up. Shouting, as I was likely going :) had no effect...be prepared to run
6) back to crate training challenges. He trained us to come let him out if he cried. The first month we figured he had to go outside. Then both of us caught on that he just wanted to know where we were & let him cry a little and he would go back to sleep. He loves his crate & will sleep there with the door open. At about the 10 month mark he tried it again - multiple times waking up in the night. We had to be persistent too and finally we've got it.

Looking back I would not regret it if we'd paid full price, but I would not have known that 7 yrs ago. Good luck

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13456]Pamperedchefjen[/MENTION] You have given wonderful advice. You dog is so lucky to have you!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.