Just found out my new English bulldog pup is completely deaf, breeder negotiating?

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I can't thank you guys enough for all the support. The input is all very helpful, I suppose its only right for this breed to have a great community. We will be making an baer appointment first thing monday morning and reaching out to the AKC once we have test results.
We are here for you, if you have any questions concerning deaf dogs , I will do my best to reach out to you. He's such a cutie just want to hug him and sign to him :) keep us posted. I hope things go smoothly for you.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I can't thank you guys enough for all the support. The input is all very helpful, I suppose its only right for this breed to have a great community. We will be making an baer appointment first thing monday morning and reaching out to the AKC once we have test results.

Good luck with everything and please write here about your experiences both with your special boy and what the AKC says. He truly looks so super cute<3

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
My Goodness Your Baby is Beautiful, I would not give him back to the breeder, he could go to someone who might abuse this Beautiful Baby, You guys are meant to keep him, I believe God put him in your hands because God know you are good people and would do right about this Bully. Please think again, Please keep this Bully Baby. Give him loads of kisses from me and Elmo.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Your puppy is just adorable and I'm so sorry the breeder isn't being
helpful, just plain wrong! Not sure what's best to do but will pray
over y'all, you'll know in your heart what is best for all.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
If I was in your shoes I wouldn't give him up because like others have pointed out you don't know his fate if returned. My mother has three deaf cats and they have no issues other than they can't hear, they use sign and respond well, they don't know the difference of being able to hear, just a different communication style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
He's truly a handsome boy. All the best to you in your decision making. I know this isn't what you planned.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Goodness Your Baby is Beautiful, I would not give him back to the breeder, he could go to someone who might abuse this Beautiful Baby, You guys are meant to keep him, I believe God put him in your hands because God know you are good people and would do right about this Bully. Please think again, Please keep this Bully Baby. Give him loads of kisses from me and Elmo.

"Like" no like button here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
There is! It's a little heart at the bottom of each post, although it's not seen from tapatalk. Wish it was!
Thank you for pointing it out to me. I am using tapatalk on my mobile device no wonder I don't see it [emoji2]

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I don't have anything to add but congratulations on your new puppy. He might not be 100% what you planned on but he can be an amazing addition to your family. Many times people reflect on the "special" dogs on their life and wonder how they ever did without them :heart:

ColinAbraham

Dec 13, 2014
Country
en_GB
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Di
What a beautiful pup a complete stunner!!!

I hope you do keep the little mite as from what you say he is progressing well and has love from his mum and dad....

I would push for half the money back or at least the money for the test considering the breeder had requested the test be done...

I will continue to monitor this post and am genuinely interested to see how this pans out...

Good luck and please keep us updated on his progress..

Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Hi Lucas,

Your puppy is adorable and I am so very sorry he is deaf :(.

From what I understand, breeder's contracts usually only list exchange for another puppy (often of a breeder's choice) and no vet bills responsibility as breeder's responsibility. In addition to vet bills, shipping cost of shipping defective puppy back is also often buyer's responsibility. Having said that, being Russian and always looking for ways around, I want to direct you in a different direction. If it were me, I probably would have figured that I'd have a better luck and better chance of getting my money back from the VET, who examined the puppy before the pup left the breeder and gave him a clean bill of health. I would explain him/her that if she/he has done his/her work you would not have bought the puppy and would suffer no emotional or financial damage. You know, vets do not like complains, as they need to get them resolved in order to be able to renew their license (if I am not mistaken). Furthermore, legal actions against the vet might have more ground since he/she really did not do their job right, leading to those unpleasant consequences for you and your family. I would talk to the vet office telling them to reimburse you money for the pup, so you won't start legal actions/complaints, asking emotional damage compensation on top. ;)

BuckeyeBullyMama

Dec 6, 2014
Ohio
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cady
We lost a puppy at 9 months old when he started having cluster seizures and did not respond to treatment. We went back and forth with the breeders for awhile, were offered a replacement dog and didn't accept it. My husband was good at reminding me to understand that it's a business for a breeder, a congenital defect like deafness (epilepsy in our case) could mean a sigifigant financial loss for them, they need to be 100% certain that it is what it is and I'd encourage you to get the documentation the breeder needs not necessarily to replace or refund your pup, but to allow them to make the right business decisions based on the defect. But at the end of the day we'd do it all again for the time we had with Coop and it wasn't about the money, replacement or honoring a contract. Sounds to me like you've been blessed with a special pup that's entered your life for a reason!

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
We lost a puppy at 9 months old when he started having cluster seizures and did not respond to treatment. We went back and forth with the breeders for awhile, were offered a replacement dog and didn't accept it. My husband was good at reminding me to understand that it's a business for a breeder, a congenital defect like deafness (epilepsy in our case) could mean a sigifigant financial loss for them, they need to be 100% certain that it is what it is and I'd encourage you to get the documentation the breeder needs not necessarily to replace or refund your pup, but to allow them to make the right business decisions based on the defect. But at the end of the day we'd do it all again for the time we had with Coop and it wasn't about the money, replacement or honoring a contract. Sounds to me like you've been blessed with a special pup that's entered your life for a reason!

BuckeyeBullyMama, I am so very sorry about your loss of your precious Coop. HUGS

May I please ask you a question if he was vaccinated with rabies (or any other vaccine) a month or so before he started having seizures? I have done an extensive 8+ years long research into human vaccines and I do know that they do cause seizures in some children. But since we only got a puppy recently I am now trying to do a crush course into canine vaccines. It seems that rabies and leptospirosis vaccines seem to be the most reactive. I am still learning and any info would be greatly appriciated.

BuckeyeBullyMama

Dec 6, 2014
Ohio
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Cady
Yulia-thank you! Cooper's seizures were about 4-5 months after his rabies vaccine, but only 1 month after surgery for a urethral prolapse, In my & medical opinion don't think there was a connection to surgery & seizures due to the severity sudden onset of cluster seizures, but it did cross our minds. I wouldn't have given Cady the rabies vaccine except it's required for boarding and we had to board her for a trip planned long before we got her.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online