Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just found out my new English bulldog pup is completely deaf, breeder negotiating?

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just found out my new English bulldog pup is completely deaf, breeder negotiating?

I love happy endings! Brixton will turn out to be extremely smart, as he will use his other senses even more-If you teach him human sign language, he would be wonderful to visit deaf children-or hearing children to teach them about deafness. He can represent! Wish you all the best!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Dog Park Attendant Rigginsluv11's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Riggins
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just found out my new English bulldog pup is completely deaf, breeder negotiating?

I haven't been on here in a long time but this is the first one I read since returning. So happy it all worked out! I got tears in my eyes reading that you are keeping him. He's going to have a wonderful, loving life with you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Brandi Salyer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penny, Angel, and Jackson
    Likes (Received)

What kind of procedure did your vet go through to decide to have the testing done? I believe my little Penny may be hard of hearing, deaf, or an ignore box! We can walk all around her while she's sleeping, my husband even took a shower while she was napping in the bathroom and she never flinched! If I snap my fingers when ages doing a bad thing she stops, but otherwise she just runs around like a happy pup that won't listen!
    My vet clapped above her head when we took her in to keep out health contract, she didn't flinch, but my vet didn't say anything. I'm worried about my kiss monster, chunka-monka!

Bulldog Vet in Training g8erjackie's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jackie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus and Regina
    Likes (Received)

I'm so glad you're keeping him! He'll have a better life with you than if he had been returned to the breeder for sure. Congratulations, he's adorable!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Lucas Manchego, you scared me there with your first few lines of your post! I'm so happy to know you will be keeping your puppy and thank you for all your dedication and hard work with Brixton. I know you will be paid one thousand fold by the love and devotion you receive back from him!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Such Wonderful News that you will be keeping your Precious Brixton. I am so-oo-oo Happy. Brixton was sent to You and Your Family for a reason. I really do believe this, You are Special People who God knows will Love and Take Great Care of this Precious Soul. Love to all of You, Susan and Elmo

Real Name
    Lucas
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brixton
    Likes (Received)

Hey @CrazyDogMom, some tests are hard to get a sense of hearing from especially a clap from your vet or any type of test with movement that accompanies it as we can imagine puppies and especially pups that cant hear are very alert and sensible to movement, light, etc.. I wish I could remember the name of the tool my vet used for the test during the health check. It was metal and she would hit it against the counter and it would cause it vibrate and hum a little then she would position it near his ears (anybody feel free to remind me if they know) and we saw no response from the pup, that accompanied with intact eardrums and no significant ear infections (wich a vet should check for during a health check) led us to believe it could be congenital deafness. Good luck to you and your family.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bosco, Jasmin
    Likes (Received)

I hope things work out for you with the breeder. You have a tough decision to make. I have had the priviledge of having a deaf Bulldog coming up on 7 yrs now. We had contacted the breeder and her only guy not spoken for was our deaf bully. We figured no one wanted him and heard many breeders euthanize as they do not want to risk passing a defect to their line. We arranged to adopt him for just the cost of his medical bills. We later learned (adopting our 2nd pup from her neighbor) that we were the 76th family to try to take him. I have to say, the bond we have is very special. He pays such close attention to us that we did not believe he was deaf (until the smoke detector went off the first time & the two pups handled it so differently!) We had no trouble training him, and I would choose a deaf pup again. If you decide to keep him here are a couple things:
    1) spend a lot if time cuddling, they have to learn to trust you completely
    2) when you wake him put your hand in front of his nose then very gently touch his head or ears to wake him up; you will find he will expect to be surprised and will not be as startled over time
    3) he must trust your hands and watch them for signals, ours is food motivated and we had no trouble teaching him to watch our hands
    4) choose your hand signs and don't underestimate him; we met a dog trainer after we spent time training these huge gestures and she had taught her dog 48 signals. Each finger meant something, etc
    5) crate training is a must (but our biggest challenge) as a small puppy he knocked over an old fashioned fan and I can still see his nose getting closer...and closer to the blade as I ran across the room and scooped him up. Shouting, as I was likely going had no effect...be prepared to run
    6) back to crate training challenges. He trained us to come let him out if he cried. The first month we figured he had to go outside. Then both of us caught on that he just wanted to know where we were & let him cry a little and he would go back to sleep. He loves his crate & will sleep there with the door open. At about the 10 month mark he tried it again - multiple times waking up in the night. We had to be persistent too and finally we've got it.

Looking back I would not regret it if we'd paid full price, but I would not have known that 7 yrs ago. Good luck

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Pamperedchefjen You have given wonderful advice. You dog is so lucky to have you!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bob
    Likes (Received)

We brought our first bulldog home in November - and shortly after I noticed he wasn't responding to sound. We finally had it confirmed with the vet (on the second visit) that he is deaf. We would never give him up - he's a wonderful little guy and seems to be responding to what little training we know. I think the breeder actually must have crate trained him and taught him to sit before we got him. I would love to get advice on how we can learn about training a deaf puppy. We know a few basics, but have never trained our dogs to a huge extent (just housebreaking, sit, etc). Someone mentioned behavioral problems - are those worse with a deaf dog - or the same? We've had 3 bassett hounds -- and all were far more difficult than this guy has been so far. We were eventually able to "train" them (or more likely they just grew out of the bad behaviors.
    I'd appreciate any advice and/or resources this community has to share....
    Thanks.

BTW - it's true that they sleep great -- he doesn't fuss at all at bedtime - and sleep right through til morning. He seems very content. Also, it's nice to have a dog that isn't nervous about sounds - our bassetts panicked over thunger, fireworks, gunshots - it was so hard because nothing we could do gave them much comfort.

Real Name
    Brian
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Brandi (RIP), Jackson (RIP),Ca$h (RIP), Miss Daisey, Sir Winford, Charlee, Darla, and Stuart
    Likes (Received)

Kind of late here, but I am so glad that you kept the puppy and that the breeder and you came to a decision that satisfied both of you. I know all too well how hard it is dealing with a breeder, our Jackson had severe spine/nerve issues shortly after turning a year of age. All the breeder would do is take the pup back (he would have been euthanized) and give us a portion of the money back (or towards another pup). After him being with us a year we could not see giving him up (or euthanized), so we kept him and paid for some very expensive surgeries which I took out several 6 year loans on my 401K. Recently he turned 6 and now uses a cart to get around, but he is still loving life and that is what counts.

I also know a little about deaf pups. My first rescue was 12 years old boy that was completely deaf and about 99% blind. If you were to have met him, you would have never guess that he was either blind or deaf. why is that.... because all of his other senses took over and allowed him to lead a semi normal life.

My second rescue, an 10 year old girl (she was 8 when she came to chill with us) is also deaf and semi blind. Again, she functions like any other pup in most ways. We did have behavior issues with her when we added a third rescue, which we had to handle in a different way because of her deafness and blindness. Instead of making a noise (with a can/verbal/clicker) and she cannot see well, we had to turn to a tapping method (tap her butt and positive reinforce with treats) which our behaviorist taught us. In December, she passed all of her observation/behavioral tests and became a Certified Therapy Pup. Pretty good for a 10 year old lady that spent has had 5 different home prior to us (2 puppy mills in Missouri, had 2 homes and went through the rescue once before).

I kissed a Bulldog and I loved it.....there is nothing better in this world than a Senior Bulldog.

Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Kind of late here, but I am so glad that you kept the puppy and that the breeder and you came to a decision that satisfied both of you. I know all too well how hard it is dealing with a breeder, our Jackson had severe spine/nerve issues shortly after turning a year of age. All the breeder would do is take the pup back (he would have been euthanized) and give us a portion of the money back (or towards another pup). After him being with us a year we could not see giving him up (or euthanized), so we kept him and paid for some very expensive surgeries which I took out several 6 year loans on my 401K. Recently he turned 6 and now uses a cart to get around, but he is still loving life and that is what counts.

I also know a little about deaf pups. My first rescue was 12 years old boy that was completely deaf and about 99% blind. If you were to have met him, you would have never guess that he was either blind or deaf. why is that.... because all of his other senses took over and allowed him to lead a semi normal life.

My second rescue, an 10 year old girl is also deaf and semi blind. Again, she functions like any other pup in most ways. We did have behavior issues with her when we added a third rescue, which we had to handle in a different way because of her deafness and blindness. Instead of making a noise (with a can/verbal/clicker) and she cannot see well, we had to turn to a tapping method (tap her butt and positive reinforce with treats) which our behaviorist taught us. In December, she passed all of her observation/behavioral tests and became a Certified Therapy Pup. Pretty good for a 10 year old lady that spent has had 5 different home prior to us (2 puppy mills in Missouri, had 2 homes and went through the rescue once before).

You are one good man Brian.

I You.
    Hug your bully today

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads