Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just found out my new English bulldog pup is completely deaf, breeder negotiating?

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just found out my new English bulldog pup is completely deaf, breeder negotiating?

I don't have anything to add but congratulations on your new puppy. He might not be 100% what you planned on but he can be an amazing addition to your family. Many times people reflect on the "special" dogs on their life and wonder how they ever did without them

Pooper scooper
    Country
    en_GB
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lady Di
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Just found out my new English bulldog pup is completely deaf, breeder negotiating?

What a beautiful pup a complete stunner!!!

I hope you do keep the little mite as from what you say he is progressing well and has love from his mum and dad....

I would push for half the money back or at least the money for the test considering the breeder had requested the test be done...

I will continue to monitor this post and am genuinely interested to see how this pans out...

Good luck and please keep us updated on his progress..

Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kira
    Likes (Received)

Hi Lucas,

Your puppy is adorable and I am so very sorry he is deaf .

From what I understand, breeder's contracts usually only list exchange for another puppy (often of a breeder's choice) and no vet bills responsibility as breeder's responsibility. In addition to vet bills, shipping cost of shipping defective puppy back is also often buyer's responsibility. Having said that, being Russian and always looking for ways around, I want to direct you in a different direction. If it were me, I probably would have figured that I'd have a better luck and better chance of getting my money back from the VET, who examined the puppy before the pup left the breeder and gave him a clean bill of health. I would explain him/her that if she/he has done his/her work you would not have bought the puppy and would suffer no emotional or financial damage. You know, vets do not like complains, as they need to get them resolved in order to be able to renew their license (if I am not mistaken). Furthermore, legal actions against the vet might have more ground since he/she really did not do their job right, leading to those unpleasant consequences for you and your family. I would talk to the vet office telling them to reimburse you money for the pup, so you won't start legal actions/complaints, asking emotional damage compensation on top.

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cady
    Likes (Received)

We lost a puppy at 9 months old when he started having cluster seizures and did not respond to treatment. We went back and forth with the breeders for awhile, were offered a replacement dog and didn't accept it. My husband was good at reminding me to understand that it's a business for a breeder, a congenital defect like deafness (epilepsy in our case) could mean a sigifigant financial loss for them, they need to be 100% certain that it is what it is and I'd encourage you to get the documentation the breeder needs not necessarily to replace or refund your pup, but to allow them to make the right business decisions based on the defect. But at the end of the day we'd do it all again for the time we had with Coop and it wasn't about the money, replacement or honoring a contract. Sounds to me like you've been blessed with a special pup that's entered your life for a reason!

Country
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kira
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBullyMama View Post
    We lost a puppy at 9 months old when he started having cluster seizures and did not respond to treatment. We went back and forth with the breeders for awhile, were offered a replacement dog and didn't accept it. My husband was good at reminding me to understand that it's a business for a breeder, a congenital defect like deafness (epilepsy in our case) could mean a sigifigant financial loss for them, they need to be 100% certain that it is what it is and I'd encourage you to get the documentation the breeder needs not necessarily to replace or refund your pup, but to allow them to make the right business decisions based on the defect. But at the end of the day we'd do it all again for the time we had with Coop and it wasn't about the money, replacement or honoring a contract. Sounds to me like you've been blessed with a special pup that's entered your life for a reason!
    BuckeyeBullyMama, I am so very sorry about your loss of your precious Coop. HUGS

May I please ask you a question if he was vaccinated with rabies (or any other vaccine) a month or so before he started having seizures? I have done an extensive 8+ years long research into human vaccines and I do know that they do cause seizures in some children. But since we only got a puppy recently I am now trying to do a crush course into canine vaccines. It seems that rabies and leptospirosis vaccines seem to be the most reactive. I am still learning and any info would be greatly appriciated.

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cady
    Likes (Received)

Yulia-thank you! Cooper's seizures were about 4-5 months after his rabies vaccine, but only 1 month after surgery for a urethral prolapse, In my & medical opinion don't think there was a connection to surgery & seizures due to the severity sudden onset of cluster seizures, but it did cross our minds. I wouldn't have given Cady the rabies vaccine except it's required for boarding and we had to board her for a trip planned long before we got her.

Real Name
    Lucas
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brixton
    Likes (Received)

Well after talking with the breeder late last night I had to return the puppy for a full refund. Just kidding! the breeder was resistant to my original request but after some "back and forth" he came to terms of a half refund and will be testing his sire and dam to see which side the gene came from to prevent this from happening again, and I will be hunkering down with brixton for the long haul. The breeder was great once he realized I was not trying to scam him, he and his family came to my house for the partial refund and when I asked about possible future business later on down the road he told me it would be a while for him to get the testing done and have a litter but when he does eventually have a litter he would sell me another pup for half price if desired. Once again thanks for the support and the prayers. I will be contacting the AKC this week with a few questions I still have regarding the deaf pup. I also brought up my concern with the vet who gave the puppy a clean bill of health and ultimately caused this whole situation. The breeder said he contacted the vet yesterday and will be going to see him tomorrow. I offered my assertive support in holding the vet accountable for his lapse in practice or judgment or whatever you want to call it. Either way I look forward to continuing the adventure we have started. Time to let little Brixtons fun and training continue in peace! ....

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member Ad0rabull's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gabrielle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Millie
    Likes (Received)

Yay, that's great news!!!I'm so glad everything worked out for you and your new baby! There are lots of videos on YouTube to help you train Brixton and Deaf Dogs Rock on Facebook is a good resource if you ever run into trouble or need some support from those that understand the particular joys and challenges of raising a deaf puppy. Best of luck to you and your little guy!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Oh thank god! I have to say I was heading for disappointment when I first started reading this. I understand that you would have had to do what was right for your family, but I sure am glad you decided to keep Brixton. I think you will be very happy in your decision. Woo Hoo!! Good luck
    My smooshy face boy!

Country
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kira
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBullyMama View Post
    Yulia-thank you! Cooper's seizures were about 4-5 months after his rabies vaccine, but only 1 month after surgery for a urethral prolapse, In my & medical opinion don't think there was a connection to surgery & seizures due to the severity sudden onset of cluster seizures, but it did cross our minds. I wouldn't have given Cady the rabies vaccine except it's required for boarding and we had to board her for a trip planned long before we got her.
    Thank you! Once again I am so sorry about your precious boy. RIP Cooper...

Country
    Boulder, Colorado, USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kira
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Manchego View Post
    Well after talking with the breeder late last night I had to return the puppy for a full refund. Just kidding! the breeder was resistant to my original request but after some "back and forth" he came to terms of a half refund and will be testing his sire and dam to see which side the gene came from to prevent this from happening again, and I will be hunkering down with brixton for the long haul. The breeder was great once he realized I was not trying to scam him, he and his family came to my house for the partial refund and when I asked about possible future business later on down the road he told me it would be a while for him to get the testing done and have a litter but when he does eventually have a litter he would sell me another pup for half price if desired. Once again thanks for the support and the prayers. I will be contacting the AKC this week with a few questions I still have regarding the deaf pup. I also brought up my concern with the vet who gave the puppy a clean bill of health and ultimately caused this whole situation. The breeder said he contacted the vet yesterday and will be going to see him tomorrow. I offered my assertive support in holding the vet accountable for his lapse in practice or judgment or whatever you want to call it. Either way I look forward to continuing the adventure we have started. Time to let little Brixtons fun and training continue in peace! ....
    What a great outcome! Enjoy your beautiful puppy!

I know very little about deaf, but I wonder if it is possible to teach the puppy to come (kinda like calling his name) by stumping on the floor or something. I'd imagine dogs can be sensitive to vibrations...just a thought...

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Manchego View Post
    Fantastic outcome.... great job!!! Give Brixton hugs from all of us
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads