The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default When should a bully reach his adult weight

I'm wondering because Stig has stopped gaining weight and leveled at approx 47 lbs for about a month now. He just turned 10 months.

As some may remember, he was quite a porker when we brought him home @ 5 months. He weighed 43 lbs then.

He's getting 'wider', but hasn't really gained weight. Should his daily food ration increase? His ribs don't show when he stands.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hudson
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: When should a bully reach his adult weight

I'm not sure of the answer - I'm no expert. Hudson's our first bully (and our first dog), and he's at his 55 lb mark. The vet said no more weight and switched him to adult food.
    It sounds like he's close to standard weight, which I believe is 50-55 lbs. But you can always check with your vet for a final call. Ours encouraged us not to get stuck on the "big" bulldog sterotype.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Mine didn't fully fill out to adult size until 18 months. They gained most of their weight by 10 months but really continued to fill out in the head and chest.

Bentley was about 57 pounds at 10 months but topped out around 62 pounds once he was all filled out.

Linus was always big. He was 60 pounds at 7 months and topped out at 80 pounds around 18 months, once his chest and head filled out to adult size.

Truman is 49 pounds at 8.5 months but to look at him, you can tell he's got a ways to go - he's still disproportionate.

So I would not expect to see Stiggy gain a lot more weight but I would expect a few more pounds as he fills out to his adult size.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Correct weight depends on the size of his frame. Bulldogs are smaller now than they were in the '80s when we got our 1st Bully, Sherman. He weighed in at 75 lbs. and wasn't fat. Most Bulldogs continue growing until they are 1-2 years old; we've been advised that the important thing is to keep their taper between the belly and butt! Ruggles (4) weighs 63 lbs. and has a long body. Mack(7&1/2) weighs 51 and has a short body.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not going to be of much help because I can't remember when Maggie stopped growing. She was always small for her breed and is at the 35lb-37lb area at 3 years old. She was getting to be a bit of a porker at 37lb - looking down on her she didn't have a very obvious waist and you'd have to dig a bit to find any ribs. Now at 35lb she has a waistline again and although her ribs are still well covered it's not as bad as it was! I do remember and have photos of her at about 10months and her head looks huge in proportion to her shoulders. Her shoulders and chest seemed to be the last things to really fill out and grow.

Daddy is about 34lb now and is almost 6 months. He is long and lean ... It will be interesting to see how he fills out. The hubby is convinced he's not all english bulldog because his legs seem to have sprouted and he seems to have got longer. If he stops growing now but then fills out A LOT then he will start to look more like an english bulldog again.

Like I said ... I'm not much help!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Samson got to his adult weight around a year and didn't stop filling out until about 18 months - 2 years. I have always heard with all breeds that they get their height in their first year and fill out in the second year. Typically they say a dog is an adult and done growing by 2 years.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

I was wondering this also.

Emmitt is almost 5 months old and we were instructed by the vet to get more weight on him. You can see his ribs still, even though he's gained a lot since his last appointment.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

lex has stayed between 63/64 lbs for about 3 or 4 months now and he will be one feb 2nd. back 3 or 4 months ago he seemed to be a little chubby but the last few weeks ive noticed he is starting to get more defined... i heard that bullies dont stop growing till they are 2. the first yr they grow up "height" and the 2nd yr is when they grow out "wider"

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

@Emmitt E: We found how to put on weight mighty quick! My husband misunderstood my instrutions and DOUBLED Gertie and Ida's food for nearly 2 weeks. They are both over-stuffed sausages right now, and are sort of on a diet. I am currently only giving them a cup of food in the morning instead of their 1 1/4 cup breakfast. They still get their 1 cup in the evening. I want them to have a waist again, which right now they really don't. I hope they don't continue to put on much more weight, they're only 8 mos. and they're big girls!

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Silva has has a stable weight since about 1-1 1/2 years old.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Brodie
    Likes (Received)

What does big paws mean? Does that mean big all over or just wide? Brodie has some big ole paws...and boobies according to my daughter.

-family-108-jpg
    I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Vegas maintained 63 lbs from about 11 months until 18 months, and his 19th month has went down to 61, which I think is ideal for him, he has a nice defined waist, he is just extremely broad across his chest, My vet says he is perfect weight for his size. From pictures I have seen he seems longer than some of the other ones. I tried to take a tape measure to measure his length and height, and after chasing him for 20 min. gave up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads