When should a bully reach his adult weight

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm wondering because Stig has stopped gaining weight and leveled at approx 47 lbs for about a month now. He just turned 10 months.

As some may remember, he was quite a porker :p when we brought him home @ 5 months. He weighed 43 lbs then.

He's getting 'wider', but hasn't really gained weight. Should his daily food ration increase? His ribs don't show when he stands.

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
I'm not sure of the answer - I'm no expert. Hudson's our first bully (and our first dog), and he's at his 55 lb mark. The vet said no more weight and switched him to adult food.
It sounds like he's close to standard weight, which I believe is 50-55 lbs. But you can always check with your vet for a final call. Ours encouraged us not to get stuck on the "big" bulldog sterotype. :whistle:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Mine didn't fully fill out to adult size until 18 months. They gained most of their weight by 10 months but really continued to fill out in the head and chest.

Bentley was about 57 pounds at 10 months but topped out around 62 pounds once he was all filled out.

Linus was always big. :bully: He was 60 pounds at 7 months and topped out at 80 pounds around 18 months, once his chest and head filled out to adult size.

Truman is 49 pounds at 8.5 months but to look at him, you can tell he's got a ways to go - he's still disproportionate.

So I would not expect to see Stiggy gain a lot more weight but I would expect a few more pounds as he fills out to his adult size.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Correct weight depends on the size of his frame. Bulldogs are smaller now than they were in the '80s when we got our 1st Bully, Sherman. He weighed in at 75 lbs. and wasn't fat. Most Bulldogs continue growing until they are 1-2 years old; we've been advised that the important thing is to keep their taper between the belly and butt! Ruggles (4) weighs 63 lbs. and has a long body. Mack(7&1/2) weighs 51 and has a short body.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm not going to be of much help because I can't remember when Maggie stopped growing. She was always small for her breed and is at the 35lb-37lb area at 3 years old. She was getting to be a bit of a porker at 37lb - looking down on her she didn't have a very obvious waist and you'd have to dig a bit to find any ribs. Now at 35lb she has a waistline again and although her ribs are still well covered it's not as bad as it was! :luv: I do remember and have photos of her at about 10months and her head looks huge in proportion to her shoulders. Her shoulders and chest seemed to be the last things to really fill out and grow.

Daddy is about 34lb now and is almost 6 months. He is long and lean ... It will be interesting to see how he fills out. The hubby is convinced he's not all english bulldog because his legs seem to have sprouted and he seems to have got longer. If he stops growing now but then fills out A LOT then he will start to look more like an english bulldog again. :whew:

Like I said ... I'm not much help!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson got to his adult weight around a year and didn't stop filling out until about 18 months - 2 years. I have always heard with all breeds that they get their height in their first year and fill out in the second year. Typically they say a dog is an adult and done growing by 2 years.

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
I was wondering this also.

Emmitt is almost 5 months old and we were instructed by the vet to get more weight on him. You can see his ribs still, even though he's gained a lot since his last appointment.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
lex has stayed between 63/64 lbs for about 3 or 4 months now and he will be one feb 2nd. back 3 or 4 months ago he seemed to be a little chubby but the last few weeks ive noticed he is starting to get more defined... i heard that bullies dont stop growing till they are 2. the first yr they grow up "height" and the 2nd yr is when they grow out "wider"

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
[MENTION=1443]Emmitt E[/MENTION]: We found how to put on weight mighty quick! My husband misunderstood my instrutions and DOUBLED Gertie and Ida's food for nearly 2 weeks. They are both over-stuffed sausages right now, and are sort of on a diet. I am currently only giving them a cup of food in the morning instead of their 1 1/4 cup breakfast. They still get their 1 cup in the evening. I want them to have a waist again, which right now they really don't. I hope they don't continue to put on much more weight, they're only 8 mos. and they're big girls!

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
What does big paws mean? Does that mean big all over or just wide? Brodie has some big ole paws...and boobies according to my daughter.

family 108.jpg

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas maintained 63 lbs from about 11 months until 18 months, and his 19th month has went down to 61, which I think is ideal for him, he has a nice defined waist, he is just extremely broad across his chest, My vet says he is perfect weight for his size. From pictures I have seen he seems longer than some of the other ones. I tried to take a tape measure to measure his length and height, and after chasing him for 20 min. gave up.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
@2bulliefamily wow brodie has some huge feet and i thought lex had some big ones when he was little...your gonna have a big ol handsome boy on your hands :eek: how hold is he?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@2bulliefamily wow brodie has some huge feet and i thought lex had some big ones when he was little...your gonna have a big ol handsome boy on your hands :eek: how hold is he?

oh my ... what she said ... they are some big ol feet you got there!!! :yes:

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Weeeeeeeeell, Duke was a skinny long looking mess at 6 months when I got him and he already weighed in around 67 lbs. It took a good year and a half from then for him to widen and mature. He currently is still all muscle and weighs in at 87.7 lbs. He's held that weight for 5 years now. It also makes him one of the biggest bulldogs ever to come down the pike. Which is why I get the job of walking him. He's too strong for a lot of people, and would probably drag them. He knows he can't pull his Daddy and behaves when I walk him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online