Bentley014

Oct 26, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
My 6 months old boy Bentley has got cystitis. I took him to the vet after he was peeing a lot in the house which is out of character for him.He was peeing every 10 mins & struggling at that.The vet put him on medication & they tested his pee which was found to have a lot of blood in which is a sign of cystitis.The vet said I should put him on wet food while he has cystitis & then onto a mix of 50/50 wet & dry for the future. He asked him I was going to breed him later on which I said I was considering it.He said if he gets it again he will need to be casterated as he has seen dogs with prostrates really swollen bad.

Has anybody else had cystitis with their Bulldogs ? It is unusual for a dog of such young age to get this I was told by the vet. :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Since it's caused by bacterial infection or crystals in the urine it should be treated like a UTI, so I would be certain after he takes the round if antibiotics you take him in immediately to test his urine again. I do not see you mention any antibiotics though.... Was he given any?? The wet food is a good idea as well and lots and lots of fluids. Encourage him to drink as much as you can.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is not very common in males at all so be sure to finish all meds and get him tested again as [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] stated

OP
B

Bentley014

Oct 26, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Yes I have been given a course of antibiotics for Bentley,tablets & a medicine to put on his food which he takes with no problem Thanks for your replies & wishing all of you & your bullies a Merry Christmas :mansfriend:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I have been given a course of antibiotics for Bentley,tablets & a medicine to put on his food which he takes with no problem Thanks for your replies & wishing all of you & your bullies a Merry Christmas :mansfriend:

Ok excellent! Merry Christmas to you both too! Please let us know how he's doing!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope he gets better soon and this is not a chronic condition for him, if it is then I would do as the vet suggests and neuter him.

OP
B

Bentley014

Oct 26, 2014
Country
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hope he gets better soon and this is not a chronic condition for him, if it is then I would do as the vet suggests and neuter him.

Bentley finished his course of antibiotics & tested free of cystitis. Like the vet said I switched his food from dry over to wet & dry 50/50 using Wainwrights hypo-allergenic & low allergen food turkey,duck & lamb flavours.
He is a happy boy once again. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great to hear he's all better!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad he is doing better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bentley finished his course of antibiotics & tested free of cystitis. Like the vet said I switched his food from dry over to wet & dry 50/50 using Wainwrights hypo-allergenic & low allergen food turkey,duck & lamb flavours.
He is a happy boy once again. :)

great news..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.