2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We will be picking Millie up in 5 days!! We're so excited! :tongue: The breeder sent me the puppy contract and after reading it, I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this all sounds ok.

She needs proof of spaying by the time Millie is 8 months old. She needs proof of me using the NuVet supplements (by using her breeder code when purchasing them) and she wants me to mail proof that we are feeding a quality dog food (the barcode on the back of the bag) on a regular basis to maintain the health guarantee. If we do this on a regular basis then she will extend the one year guarantee to two years.

Also, the contract states that I need to list her as a co-owner of the puppy on her AKC registration. And if ever she were to find substantial evidence of neglect (keeping the dog as an outdoor pet, starving her etc.) she will take us to court and try to take ownership of Mille. And lastly, if ever we can't care for Millie or decide to re-home her, we are to return her to the breeder and she will take her back or will help place her in a good home for an agreed amount.

Do these things sound ok? Some of the stuff is a little extreme, but I appreciate the lengths that the breeder is going to to protect the puppy. What do you guys think?

spay/neuter is a normal part of agreements as is the health guarantee and the return if you do not want the pup for any reason... registration is interesting as 'co-owner'? [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] might have insight there

OP
Ad0rabull

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
Yeah I was curious about that too. She sells "show prospects" and full registration pups for showing and breeding purposes so maybe that's where that comes in, but I don't plan to breed or show and will only have limited registration with Millie so I don't know what that would mean for the breeder?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yeah I was curious about that too. She sells "show prospects" and full registration pups for showing and breeder purposes so maybe that's where that comes in, but I don't plan to breed or show and will only have limited registration with Millie so I don't know what that would mean for the breeder?

limited registration is normal/common -- so I am curious on the co-owner thing

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The co ownership will help her if she decides to repossess your pup, without it she couldn't do a thing. I personally don't think it's a big deal, but I wouldn't ask anyone to make me co owner as I hope I've done enough interviewing to trust you would be a great family. Obviously they have had issues in the past so I can see where they want to protect themselves but most of all, the pup. You're obviously not going to mistreat your pup so I wouldn't worry about all that.

I agree to let the breeder Rehome your pup if ever needed. I've had a few and am so glad I can stay in touch with them. One I tried to help, as she contacted me first , but then decided to "keep her", I still think about and worry about as I found her for sale on craigslist!!

The owner ditched me after bitching me out, and she had moved so I don't have her address. I was not able to do anything about it, but I do have her microchip # at the shelters if she ever ends up there. But it's a sad helpless feeling not knowing where she is now. :(

OP
Ad0rabull

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
The co ownership will help her if she decides to repossess your pup, without it she couldn't do a thing. I personally don't think it's a big deal, but I wouldn't ask anyone to make me co owner as I hope I've done enough interviewing to trust you would be a great family. Obviously they have had issues in the past so I can see where they want to protect themselves but most of all, the pup. You're obviously not going to mistreat your pup so I wouldn't worry about all that.

I agree to let the breeder Rehome your pup if ever needed. I've had a few and am so glad I can stay in touch with them. One I tried to help, as she contacted me first , but then decided to "keep her", I still think about and worry about as I found her for sale on craigslist!!

The owner ditched me after bitching me out, and she had moved so I don't have her address. I was not able to do anything about it, but I do have her microchip # at the shelters if she ever ends up there. But it's a sad helpless feeling not knowing where she is now. :(

Awe what a sad situation :( I hope the little girl found a good home! From speaking with the breeder I get the feeling that she has been burned in the past as well so I can understand her taking every precaution she can. I really like her a lot because she doesn't seem to be in it for just the money and seems to genuinely care about her puppies and where they end up. I've mentioned in an earlier post the number of backyard breeders I've come across in my search for our baby and it's shocking! I'm happy to have found one of the good ones!

And thank you guys for your insight, by the way! It's a little overwhelming trying to find a good breeder with so many not-so-great ones out there so I appreciate all the help :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds pretty normal to me, and the co-ownership is usually for ones that are going to be shown, we do that too.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online