Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
I have been searching for a reputable breeder for a while now, and I think I may have finally found one (I had a deposit down on a puppy before, but I got some weird vibes so I pulled the plug). I have wanted a bulldog since I was a little girl so I want to make sure I do this right. The last thing I want to do is support a back-yard-breeder or a puppy mill, but this is my first time buying a puppy so I'm not exactly sure what to look for in a breeder so I would love to hear some opinions.

The breeder that I'm considering is the only one to ask me questions about myself, my home, and my experience with bulldogs. All of the other breeders didn't ask me anything at all, they just told me where to send the money. She requires that her puppies' new owners administer NuVet vitamins for the first year and she will extend the health guarantee for an additional year (a total of 2 years) if the NuVet supplements are continued. She also has a spay/neuter claus in the puppy contract which I think is awesome! She doesn't begin "advertising" her puppies until they are 4 months old. She screens for genetic health and offers vet references.

Does she sound like a good breeder? Here's a screenshot of her listing. I think she sounds pretty great, but is there anything else I should be looking for in a breeder? Screen Shot 2014-12-20 at 11_Fotor.jpg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The spay/neuter part is standard, the rest.. well, she definitely said all the right things..lol

Since she said she screens for health, I'd check with OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals).
Just go to their site and enter the dam, and/ or sires name. If they're listed, check what they were tested for and make sure it's the usual bulldog health issues.
If not, then I'd ask her why not since the OFA database is used by breeders.

youmommasboy

Dec 22, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butkus
Hello , in my opinion if your not showing your dog all that championship stuff looks good but means nothing and think your wating your money .. There puppies just like kids nothing is guaranteed .There are so many scams out there never send money western union . There's no way to track your money .. I bought my puppy off the internet but I 1st called their vet .I asked vet questions like are the parents healthy are the puppies healthy would you buy puppies from this breeder . I sent a check for a deposit then drove to get the puppy and met the parents .. Do your homework go on line google things or questions you want to know ..

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
She does sound great to me too. I would probably call the vet she uses. I don't know what other checking you would do other than to go see her and her facility in person. You're doing a good job screening breeders--there are so many bad ones out there.:fie:

OP
Ad0rabull

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
So far her vet references check out and it looks like she has screened for cardiac, petallas, trachea, and thyroid. I still need to read up on what these are though. And yeah, [MENTION=13384]youmommasboy[/MENTION], I don't plan to breed or show so the champion stuff isn't very important to me either, although I do think it makes for a cute puppy. :tongue: Luckily, the price is pretty standard for what you'd find in Ohio so I don't think I'm paying any extra for the bloodlines.

I bit the bullet and went ahead and PayPaled the deposit on this little cutie! Eeep! She's 4 months old and soooo cute! :heart: I'll be picking her up when I get home after the holidays!

Attachments

• photo copy.jpg
    photo copy.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 217_Fotor.jpg
    217_Fotor.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 137

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Patella are knees that pop, cardiac is for heart murmurs, trachea is good too since bulldogs do have breathing problems and many have very narrow trachs which pose problems the older they get. Not sure why she screened for thyroid though? hmm.

She didn't screen for the hips though, but most don't since the majority of bulldogs have hip dysplasia. I personally would love to see a breeder do it though. But that's my own issue.

She sounds like a good breeder and congrats on your new cutie!
Please post pics when you get her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So far her vet references check out and it looks like she has screened for cardiac, petallas, trachea, and thyroid. I still need to read up on what these are though. And yeah, @youmommasboy, I don't plan to breed or show so the champion stuff isn't very important to me either, although I do think it makes for a cute puppy. :tongue: Luckily, the price is pretty standard for what you'd find in Ohio so I don't think I'm paying any extra for the bloodlines.

I bit the bullet and went ahead and PayPaled the deposit on this little cutie! Eeep! She's 4 months old and soooo cute! :heart: I'll be picking her up when I get home after the holidays!

She is a beauty! Ellie gave you great info on the meanings of all those 25cent words ...... :D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So far her vet references check out and it looks like she has screened for cardiac, petallas, trachea, and thyroid. I still need to read up on what these are though. And yeah, @youmommasboy, I don't plan to breed or show so the champion stuff isn't very important to me either, although I do think it makes for a cute puppy. :tongue: Luckily, the price is pretty standard for what you'd find in Ohio so I don't think I'm paying any extra for the bloodlines.

omg what a sweety!!!! you have to share more pics.. I'm in love.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What a beautiful pup!!! Congratulations!! Do you have a name picked out for her?

OP
Ad0rabull

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
Thank you! I can't wait to bring her home with us! The breeder has been calling her Millie and my husband and I really like it so we're thinking about sticking with it. My husband has been calling her Milli Vanilli :tongue:

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
She's a beauty ! How exciting and congratulations on your new baby

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you! I can't wait to bring her home with us! The breeder has been calling her Millie and my husband and I really like it so we're thinking about sticking with it. My husband has been calling her Milli Vanilli :tongue:

You will be singing "Girl you know it's true.... Oooh oooo ooooo, I love you!"

OP
Ad0rabull

Ad0rabull

Dec 11, 2014
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Millie
We will be picking Millie up in 5 days!! We're so excited! :tongue: The breeder sent me the puppy contract and after reading it, I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this all sounds ok.

She needs proof of spaying by the time Millie is 8 months old. She needs proof of me using the NuVet supplements (by using her breeder code when purchasing them) and she wants me to mail proof that we are feeding a quality dog food (the barcode on the back of the bag) on a regular basis to maintain the health guarantee. If we do this on a regular basis then she will extend the one year guarantee to two years.

Also, the contract states that I need to list her as a co-owner of the puppy on her AKC registration. And if ever she were to find substantial evidence of neglect (keeping the dog as an outdoor pet, starving her etc.) she will take us to court and try to take ownership of Mille. And lastly, if ever we can't care for Millie or decide to re-home her, we are to return her to the breeder and she will take her back or will help place her in a good home for an agreed amount.

Do these things sound ok? Some of the stuff is a little extreme, but I appreciate the lengths that the breeder is going to to protect the puppy. What do you guys think?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online