Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 22 of 22

Thread: What should I look for in a breeder?

  1. #13
    Harvey's Executive Assistant Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    harveyspecter's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Yorba Linda (The OC), California
    Posts
    4,892
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harvey Specter
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3557

    Default Re: What should I look for in a breeder?

    please post more pics when she gets home.
    Hug your bully today

  2. #14
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: What should I look for in a breeder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad0rabull View Post
    Thank you! I can't wait to bring her home with us! The breeder has been calling her Millie and my husband and I really like it so we're thinking about sticking with it. My husband has been calling her Milli Vanilli
    You will be singing "Girl you know it's true.... Oooh oooo ooooo, I love you!"

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  3. #15
    Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member Ad0rabull's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gabrielle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    67
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Millie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: What should I look for in a breeder?

    We will be picking Millie up in 5 days!! We're so excited! The breeder sent me the puppy contract and after reading it, I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this all sounds ok.

    She needs proof of spaying by the time Millie is 8 months old. She needs proof of me using the NuVet supplements (by using her breeder code when purchasing them) and she wants me to mail proof that we are feeding a quality dog food (the barcode on the back of the bag) on a regular basis to maintain the health guarantee. If we do this on a regular basis then she will extend the one year guarantee to two years.

    Also, the contract states that I need to list her as a co-owner of the puppy on her AKC registration. And if ever she were to find substantial evidence of neglect (keeping the dog as an outdoor pet, starving her etc.) she will take us to court and try to take ownership of Mille. And lastly, if ever we can't care for Millie or decide to re-home her, we are to return her to the breeder and she will take her back or will help place her in a good home for an agreed amount.

    Do these things sound ok? Some of the stuff is a little extreme, but I appreciate the lengths that the breeder is going to to protect the puppy. What do you guys think?

  4. #16
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,176
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11511

    Default Re: What should I look for in a breeder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad0rabull View Post
    We will be picking Millie up in 5 days!! We're so excited! The breeder sent me the puppy contract and after reading it, I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this all sounds ok.

    She needs proof of spaying by the time Millie is 8 months old. She needs proof of me using the NuVet supplements (by using her breeder code when purchasing them) and she wants me to mail proof that we are feeding a quality dog food (the barcode on the back of the bag) on a regular basis to maintain the health guarantee. If we do this on a regular basis then she will extend the one year guarantee to two years.

    Also, the contract states that I need to list her as a co-owner of the puppy on her AKC registration. And if ever she were to find substantial evidence of neglect (keeping the dog as an outdoor pet, starving her etc.) she will take us to court and try to take ownership of Mille. And lastly, if ever we can't care for Millie or decide to re-home her, we are to return her to the breeder and she will take her back or will help place her in a good home for an agreed amount.

    Do these things sound ok? Some of the stuff is a little extreme, but I appreciate the lengths that the breeder is going to to protect the puppy. What do you guys think?
    spay/neuter is a normal part of agreements as is the health guarantee and the return if you do not want the pup for any reason... registration is interesting as 'co-owner'? @bullmama or @Davidh might have insight there
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  5. #17
    Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member Ad0rabull's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gabrielle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    67
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Millie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: What should I look for in a breeder?

    Yeah I was curious about that too. She sells "show prospects" and full registration pups for showing and breeding purposes so maybe that's where that comes in, but I don't plan to breed or show and will only have limited registration with Millie so I don't know what that would mean for the breeder?

  6. #18
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,176
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11511

    Default Re: What should I look for in a breeder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad0rabull View Post
    Yeah I was curious about that too. She sells "show prospects" and full registration pups for showing and breeder purposes so maybe that's where that comes in, but I don't plan to breed or show and will only have limited registration with Millie so I don't know what that would mean for the breeder?
    limited registration is normal/common -- so I am curious on the co-owner thing
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. #19
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: What should I look for in a breeder?

    The co ownership will help her if she decides to repossess your pup, without it she couldn't do a thing. I personally don't think it's a big deal, but I wouldn't ask anyone to make me co owner as I hope I've done enough interviewing to trust you would be a great family. Obviously they have had issues in the past so I can see where they want to protect themselves but most of all, the pup. You're obviously not going to mistreat your pup so I wouldn't worry about all that.

    I agree to let the breeder Rehome your pup if ever needed. I've had a few and am so glad I can stay in touch with them. One I tried to help, as she contacted me first , but then decided to "keep her", I still think about and worry about as I found her for sale on craigslist!!

    The owner ditched me after bitching me out, and she had moved so I don't have her address. I was not able to do anything about it, but I do have her microchip # at the shelters if she ever ends up there. But it's a sad helpless feeling not knowing where she is now.

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  8. #20
    Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member Ad0rabull's Avatar
    Real Name
    Gabrielle
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    67
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Millie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: What should I look for in a breeder?

    Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    The co ownership will help her if she decides to repossess your pup, without it she couldn't do a thing. I personally don't think it's a big deal, but I wouldn't ask anyone to make me co owner as I hope I've done enough interviewing to trust you would be a great family. Obviously they have had issues in the past so I can see where they want to protect themselves but most of all, the pup. You're obviously not going to mistreat your pup so I wouldn't worry about all that.

    I agree to let the breeder Rehome your pup if ever needed. I've had a few and am so glad I can stay in touch with them. One I tried to help, as she contacted me first , but then decided to "keep her", I still think about and worry about as I found her for sale on craigslist!!

    The owner ditched me after bitching me out, and she had moved so I don't have her address. I was not able to do anything about it, but I do have her microchip # at the shelters if she ever ends up there. But it's a sad helpless feeling not knowing where she is now.
    Awe what a sad situation I hope the little girl found a good home! From speaking with the breeder I get the feeling that she has been burned in the past as well so I can understand her taking every precaution she can. I really like her a lot because she doesn't seem to be in it for just the money and seems to genuinely care about her puppies and where they end up. I've mentioned in an earlier post the number of backyard breeders I've come across in my search for our baby and it's shocking! I'm happy to have found one of the good ones!

    And thank you guys for your insight, by the way! It's a little overwhelming trying to find a good breeder with so many not-so-great ones out there so I appreciate all the help

  9. #21
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: What should I look for in a breeder?

    Sounds pretty normal to me, and the co-ownership is usually for ones that are going to be shown, we do that too.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  10. #22
    Dog Groomer binxrexchubbs's Avatar
    Country
    US
    Location
    NH seacoast
    Posts
    564
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chubbs W.C.
    Likes (Received)
    30

    Default Re: What should I look for in a breeder?

    She's adorable! Congratulations! I'm so glad the breeder worked out!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •