HEADS UP If your're thinking about flying with your bulldog

bulldoglover22

Jan 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
chole
As some of you may know I am helping my coworker rehome her bulldog. She and I thought she would in fact be able to fly her bulldog with her to her new location. Our vet ( we go to the same vet) told us bulldog can fly. Unfortunately that isn't the case. 3 major airlines have banned bulldogs

American Airlines:
https://www.aacargo.com/learn/animals.html
Is your breed clear to travel? Find out here.

We no longer accept brachycephalic, snub-nosed or mixed breeds of snub-nosed animals when the "Breed" on the Health Certificate states the following:
Dogs Affenpinscher, Boston Terrier, Boxer (All breeds), Brussels Griffon, Bulldog (All breeds), Cane Corso, Dogue De Bordeaux, English Toy Spaniel, Japanese Chin, Lhasa Apso, Mastiff (All breeds), Pekingese, Pit Bull, Presa Canario, Pug (All breeds), Shar Pei, Shih Tzu, Tibetan Spaniel

Delta:
Pet Travel Requirements & Restrictions | Delta Air Lines
Delta no longer accepts snub-nosed or pug-nosed dogs and cats as checked baggage. Certain breeds may be acceptable for transport as cargo via Pets First.
Snub- or Pug-nosed Dogs

American Bulldog
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Pit Bull Terrier
Boston Terrier
Boxer
Brussels Griffin
Bulldog*
Chinese Pug
Chow Chow
Dutch Pug
English Bulldog
English Toy Spaniel
French Bulldog

Lhasa Apso
Japanese Boxer
Japanese Pug
Japanese Spaniel (Chin)
Mastiff (all breeds)
Pekinese
Pit Bull
Pug
Shar Pei
Shih Tzu
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Tibetan Spaniel

United:

Pet Travel Restrictions | United Airlines
Embargo for adult Bulldogs

United does not accept English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, Olde English Bulldogges or mixes of these breeds that are older than six months or weigh more than 20 pounds at any time of year. Puppies of this breed (dogs weighing less than 20 pounds or younger than six months) are accepted year-round. If shipping a puppy of this breed, refer to the shipping requirements in the short-nosed (brachycephalic) dog breeds section to ensure the safety of your animal

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up!, I didn't even know this.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes it's unfortunate but actually a good thing. Cargo planes for brachycephalic dogs is very dangerous. Many have died :(
I wish they would ban puppies too. The only safe place is flying in cabin with you, in a carrier (but about 20 lbs is pushing it). Some owners have gotten therapy dog certificates so they can bring them in the cabin with them.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Yes, I've seen several EBD's with therapy vests on in the passenger areas at the airports. I think it is such a great idea.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It is a great idea, but morally, I can't do it. Just won't fly with mine.
And if the day comes that I need to, I'll have either my parents, or a vet tech from my vets office stay with them.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Charter a private plane and he or she can sit beside you.

- - - Updated - - -

Charter a private plane and he or she can sit beside you.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The gas alone is too expensive.
But, if you can get a large group together to charter the plane, it could be doable. The cost per person is about what it costs to fly business. Yeah, I've looked into it..lol..

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Yeah. It is tough flying with pets. While I was active duty I always flew with my Great Danes; they flew all around the world with me but because of their size I was always going through special airlines to get them shipped. Their crates are giant sized and a couple of times I ended up shipping them with horse carriers; I was greatful to retire so now I don't have to ever worry about shipping our bullies anywhere. Good luck.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Where is your co worker going? When we thought we were going to Germany on my husbands.order we were also looking into trans Atlantic cruises...one stops in the UK and allows pets. Sounded a bit crazy plus UK requires quarantining but we thought it might be worth it to ensure the safety of of pets.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
It is a great idea, but morally, I can't do it. Just won't fly with mine.
And if the day comes that I need to, I'll have either my parents, or a vet tech from my vets office stay with them.

I understand how you feel. I will never fly a dog of any breed. When I was showing my bullmastiff, I heard about horror stories like the dog sitting in a travel crate on a tarmac for hours in unbearable heat without water. A friend's dog's crate was dropped at an airport on the way to the national speciality, resulting in a leg injury. And countless dogs have died in cargo holds. If I fly them, they're going in the seat next to me. :)

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I would think EBD wouldn't handle the altitude of the aircraft. Might get a heart attack from being in the air. I plan to drive w my EBD on a road trip to OR from CA only 13 hours drive

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Some owners have gotten therapy dog certificates so they can bring them in the cabin with them.

I was actually wondering about that myself. Do you have more info on that? How one does get a service dog certificate and would they need to buy a seat in the plain for a dog at a price of human ticket?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.