Dog Friendly Western States

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
So, Ms. Daphnee will be 10 in June. She's has 23 states under her collar and looking to go out west for her big birthday. The New England area is super dog friendly and very accommodating and easy to find lodging. How is "out west"?? I know that the National Parks are not dog inviting.. Looking to hit the Dakotas, Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana.. She loves car rides, breweries, and hanging out.. Thanks all..

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There are books of dog friendly motels and hotels across the country that are available. Probably can find one online, or at a bookstore.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
When we moved from southern California to Virginia over the summer we actually stayed over night in the states mentioned above with all three dogs. The best way to do it is with motels...like super 8, red roof inn, etc. It's affordable and the majority are pet friendly. Our biggest obstacle was find a place that took all three dogs plus a cat. We stayed at a few La Quinta's too and built up some reward points. But make sure you double check with the motel to find out what the pet policy is. A few LA Quinta's did not allow pets but they made an exception for us since my husband is in the Army and we were PCSing.

Wyoming is beautiful. Stay there for a while :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did a croos country drive back in 2005 Colorado was very dog friendly as was Arizona and New Mexico. We took Nitshcke on a hike/walk at the Grand Canyon -- we past several others with dogs and even a couple walking a cat.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
When we moved from southern California to Virginia over the summer we actually stayed over night in the states mentioned above with all three dogs. The best way to do it is with motels...like super 8, red roof inn, etc. It's affordable and the majority are pet friendly. Our biggest obstacle was find a place that took all three dogs plus a cat. We stayed at a few La Quinta's too and built up some reward points. But make sure you double check with the motel to find out what the pet policy is. A few LA Quinta's did not allow pets but they made an exception for us since my husband is in the Army and we were PCSing.

Wyoming is beautiful. Stay there for a while :)

I always search out La Quinta hotels because that's their niche, pet friendly. You should contact their corporate office and mention the ones that weren't. As far as I know, they're all supposed to be
pet friendly.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
@blueberrysmom I really wish I could remember which La Quinta it was. All I really remember it that it was in Ohio, about 2 hours outside of Pittsburgh and had a really nice bike trail near by. I did write a bad review for the hotel though because my experience with them was horrible. First the front desk gave my husband A LOT of attitude when he was checking in because we had pets. It was about 12 AM when we were checking in and we had to be on the road by 9 AM - so literally we were just going to sleep and leave in the morning. My husband sent me in to talk to the front desk person because 1. She was Indian and so am I (I could go off in Hindi if needed), 2. My line of work requires me to read contracts and be a problem solver. Long story short, I ended up speaking to the manager who let us stay in a special room after making us sign a million pages of paper work saying we wouldn't damage the rooms and pay for any cleaning.

Once we got to the room it smells like cat urine, so much to the fact that we had to open up all the windows. I immediately went to the front desk and told them that the room smelled like cat urine and I would not be responsible for any cleaning fees because I could not guarantee my pets would not mark their territory because they did not properly clean the room. I also demanded the letter I signed back from them and placed a note on there that the room smells like cat urine and I would not be responsible for any pet urine cleaning fees. + asked for a photocopy of the agreement with that note.

ALL the other La Quintas were wonderful though - this one was just a bad seed among the bunch.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@blueberrysmom I really wish I could remember which La Quinta it was. All I really remember it that it was in Ohio, about 2 hours outside of Pittsburgh and had a really nice bike trail near by. I did write a bad review for the hotel though because my experience with them was horrible. First the front desk gave my husband A LOT of attitude when he was checking in because we had pets. It was about 12 AM when we were checking in and we had to be on the road by 9 AM - so literally we were just going to sleep and leave in the morning. My husband sent me in to talk to the front desk person because 1. She was Indian and so am I (I could go off in Hindi if needed), 2. My line of work requires me to read contracts and be a problem solver. Long story short, I ended up speaking to the manager who let us stay in a special room after making us sign a million pages of paper work saying we wouldn't damage the rooms and pay for any cleaning.

Once we got to the room it smells like cat urine, so much to the fact that we had to open up all the windows. I immediately went to the front desk and told them that the room smelled like cat urine and I would not be responsible for any cleaning fees because I could not guarantee my pets would not mark their territory because they did not properly clean the room. I also demanded the letter I signed back from them and placed a note on there that the room smells like cat urine and I would not be responsible for any pet urine cleaning fees. + asked for a photocopy of the agreement with that note.

ALL the other La Quintas were wonderful though - this one was just a bad seed among the bunch.

Ugh, I would of been livid too. I wanna call their corporate office for you!

Crappy customer service has become a pet peeve of mine. People need to know their product, and service their customers with a smile, not an attitude.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
@blueberrysmom It was our last hotel stay on our cross country trip so at the very least all 5 motels we stayed at before hand were wonderful to us. I do think when I have time I will search my emails to figure out which La Quinta it was so I can complain to the corporate office. I wrote my review that night on Travel Advisory and Yelp before going to bed and kind of forgot about the whole ordeal because we had so many other things on our plate with moving during that time.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
So Cal is very dog friendly :)

Totally agree! When we lived in LA we had zero trouble finding hotels in LA (when we were first transitioning) and San Diego.

Northern CA is also really dog friendly. Especially in SF. I took one of those bus tours when I visited and learned they have a program called Woof for the homeless to help combat panhandling and help foster animals. I thought it was pretty cool.

The program "encourages homeless individuals to give up panhandling. In exchange, they'll receive a small stipend to foster problematic puppies until they're ready for adoption.

Bevan Dufty, San Francisco's point-person on homeless issues, said his goal is to try to help both the city and its animals.

San Francisco Animal Care and Control will screen potential foster parents to ensure that they are a good fit for the program. They must live in supportive housing, not on the streets, and prove they are not severely mentally ill, aren't hoarders, don't have a history of violence and aren't seeking treatment for addictions.
They must also promise to stop panhandling, and if they are caught begging with the puppy, the animal will be taken back to the shelter.
In exchange, the approved applicant will receive $50-$75 a week, as well as several training sessions, regular check-ins, and all the dog food, toys, leashes and veterinary care they need, provided by Animal Care and Control."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/13/dogs-for-the-homeless_n_1594811.html

Most Reactions

Members online