Tri-Pointe + weight management

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
So there has been something I've always been wondering about. When we picked up Curly, our breeder mentioned that Curly has tri-point markings. Already in love with curly and knowing that we were not breeding/showing him we just said oh yea that's great. Till this day we have no idea what Tri-point means...I've tried googling it and only breeders come up...

Any insight? My hubby thinks it means that he has three spots on hit boady that are red (ears and tail). I think it means that he has 3 different colors on him (sort of like ombre coloring...).

On a completely different subject, we took curly to the vet on Friday. We are still trying to find the right vet in VA but since he needed his rabies and distemper we figured that we just go to the vet that is close by (I'm not 100% sold on them which is why I'm still looking). Anyhow, curly weighed in at 73 lbs, which we were really excited about because he lost 3 lbs. however, when the new vet saw him the first thing he said was "that's an overweight dog" in sort of a serious but joking tone...

Had he only seen curly before. Lol

I suppose this just means more exercising for Curly. For the past 6 months, my husband plays with curly for anywhere from 30-45 minutes a day (which involves him running all over the yard wrestling...he always passes out after playing...both the dog and my husband) plus I walk him 1.1 miles 2x a day. He only eats 2.5 cups of food...and gets 1/3 of a fat free cheese stick a day.
He did make us happy at the vet office when the vet tech tried to offer him a treat and he turned his nose up and refused it even when we actually placed it in his mouth. Curly was basically saying "I might be fat but you can have your grain filled treat, I'm not eating that" lol

Anyhow, I'm not sure what else we can do...I half feel it's still puppy weight since he is 1.5 years old but I can't keep telling myself that.

I guess all that said, anyone who had a fat puppy, was there a point where your pup just shredded his weight out of no where?

72c3955bd0ecc751602564907841205a.jpg

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
he's a cutie, but at 73lbs.. yeah.. a little chunky..lol.

can you cut his kibble down to 2 cups a day? that's what most feed, then substitute the remaining half cup with green beans to fill him up?

oh, and grats on the 3lb weight loss. that's great!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks was 73 lbs at one point and we did the green bean diet... She got for each meal, 1/2 cup kibble and half cup green beans... Can't remember how long it took , but she was always active and dropped to 60 and we held her within 3 lbs of 60 for most of her life

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] how did you make sure that the other dogs didn't eat her food? Our big problem is that our other two dogs are perfectly sized so we don't want them to lose any weight BUT they will definitely get jealous if they see Curls getting Green beans and they aren't...and bully him for his food...

Anyone know what Tri-pointe is??

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our pups eat one at a time.. When it was Nitscke and Banks.. Nitschke ate and Banks waited. When it was Banks and Chelios, Banks ate first while Cheli waited.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
If I start curly on the green bean diet and reduce his kibble, will it be all right to include green beans into the other 2 dogs without reducing their kibble intake? Will that keep the other two at their current weight or would I be feeding them too much and potentially increase their weight?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If I start curly on the green bean diet and reduce his kibble, will it be all right to include green beans into the other 2 dogs without reducing their kibble intake? Will that keep the other two at their current weight or would I be feeding them too much and potentially increase their weight?

not an issue... it is a 'filler' really no calories to them, they just help them feel full but take in less calories. I would give the two that are good -- just a few in the bowl, 5 or so and give Curly 1/2 kibble and 1/2 green beeans till he is where you want him. Then it is best to make sure he only gets meals and trets are the green beans or something else that is low in calories. Once we got the weight off Banks it stayed off with 1 cup of kibble 2x a day

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You've got great advice on the green bean diet, it really works!

As for the tri point, I think they are stating your bully is a tri colored or carries the tri colored gene. I think it has to do with black.

OP
nubonics

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Thanks all for the advice!! We are going to start the diet after Xmas since we are traveling for a week. Let's pray my husband is able to keep up with the diet while I am traveling for work for two weeks next month. Lol.

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
According to my breeder, tri point is when the dog is 'Fully Capable Of Producing All Rare Colors' (chocolate, blue and lilac).

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.