My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I SAW WHERE JEWEL WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HER LIVER, IS IT STILL OK TO GIVE MY ELMO COCONUT OIL AND YOGURT EVERY MORNING, IS THE OIL AND THE FAT OK? THANKING YOU FOR HELPING ME WITH THIS. LOVE, SUSAN AND ELMO

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I SAW WHERE JEWEL WAS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HER LIVER, IS IT STILL OK TO GIVE MY ELMO COCONUT OIL AND YOGURT EVERY MORNING, IS THE OIL AND THE FAT OK? THANKING YOU FOR HELPING ME WITH THIS. LOVE, SUSAN AND ELMO

It should be okay, kidney and liver issues are usually something that are present beforehand and then cause problems processing certain foods or supplements. It's always a good idea to have a blood test done once a year on your pets to make sure all of their levels are within range. Has Elmo had any blood tests done?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
How much coconut oil do you give? 1 tbsp has 14 grams of fat. Since you're giving it with yogurt, I'd use a fat-free yogurt.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
David had shared this info on French Bulldog news, thought it may be of some use for you!

Here is a great article from Dogs Naturally Magazine.

Have you ever wondered whether you should feed your dog fish oil or coconut oil? The truth is that both oils have wonderful nutritional assets to offer your dog. Below are some facts about both oils that you need to know:
Fish Oil

• Fish oil is a long chain fatty acid, comprised of a chain of 18 carbon atoms
  • Fish oil is an Omega-3 polyunsaturated fat. Fish oils are comprised of essential fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). These essential fatty acids are found in cold water fish.
  • EPA and DHA are highly unsaturated fats because they contain 6 and 5 double carbon bonds on their long structured chain. Because of the double carbon bonds, fish oil is more unstable and prone to oxidation when subjected to light or high heat during storage.
Benefits

• Fish oils primarily have an anti-inflammatory effect and may help against heart disease and cancer. EPA and DHA are converted into hormone-like substances called prostaglandins, which regulate cell activity and healthy cardiovascular function.
  • EPA and DHA in fish oils primarily improve brain function and normal eye health. DHA is a building block of tissue in the brain and retina of the eye. It helps with forming neural transmitters, such as phosphatidylserine, which is important for brain function. DHA is found in the retina of the eye.
  • Studies show that Omega-3 fatty acids may help dogs with osteoarthritis, improving mobility and inflammation.
Coconut Oil

• Coconut oil is a medium-chain fatty acid, comprised of a chain of 12 carbon atoms
  • Coconut oil is a saturated fat. Unlike the saturated fats in animal fats, which are long chain fatty acids (LCFA), coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids (MCFA), mainly lauric acid, caprylic acid and capric acid.
  • Saturated fats are made of single carbon bonds, which mean that the oil is stable and not prone to oxidation or free-radical formation. Coconut oil does not need to be refrigerated and has shown no signs of rancidity, even after three years of storage.
Benefits

• The lauric acid in coconut oil is converted into monoglyceride monolaurin by the body, which keeps animals from getting viral, bacterial or protozoal infections. Lauric acid is also found in abundance in breast milk so it has similar nutriceutical effects.
  • The MCFAs are broken down and used for energy production and seldom end up as body fat or as deposits in arteries. Coconut oil gently elevates the metabolism, provides a higher level of energy and vitaility, protects from illness and speeds healing. In dogs, the MDFAs in coconut oil balance the thyroid, helping overweight dogs lose weight and helping sedentary dogs feel energetic.
  • Coconut oil has an anti-inflammatory effect and may help protect against cancer. As a bonus, coconut oil improves any dog’s skin and coat, improves digestion and reduces allergic reactions. MCFAs do not have a negative effect on blood cholesterol and help protect against heart disease.

Courtesy of CocoTherapy[emoji768]

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@bullmama regarding the the above article, I think it's biased since it's written by cocotherapy, a company that sells coconut products.

To be honest, everything I've read on coconut oil in the past is anecdotal evidence since there haven't been enough clinical studies as of yet, that distinguish it from other oils. In fairness though, I haven't exactly looked into it in probably about a year.

But for the same reason, (anecdotal based on the two recent experiences with it), If I were using it, I'd be much more careful with the fat content of other things I was giving my bulldog.

I do think you're onto something when you said that maybe some dogs are predisposed to a liver/pancreatic issue. But we don't really know if giving something so high in saturated fat to our bullies, can also cause exasperate the problem.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@bullmama regarding the the above article, I think it's biased since it's written by cocotherapy, a company that sells coconut products.

To be honest, everything I've read on coconut oil in the past is anecdotal evidence since there haven't been enough clinical studies as of yet, that distinguish it from other oils. In fairness though, I haven't exactly looked into it in probably about a year.

But for the same reason, (anecdotal based on the two recent experiences with it), If I were using it, I'd be much more careful with the fat content of other things I was giving my bulldog.

I do think you're onto something when you said that maybe some dogs are predisposed to a liver/pancreatic issue. But we don't really know if giving something so high in saturated fat to our bullies, can also cause exasperate the problem.

Yeah, it's one of those things that I guess we as pet owners have to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks. I give mine coconut oil, but not daily. I try not to give anything set in stone on a daily basis, I mix in fresh food, home cooked, salmon oil, yogurt, ect. They do get at least one meal of kibble and 1 nuvet each day, the rest is inconsistent and I try to keep it interesting. LOL

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yeah, agreed. Currently I don't give any supplements because of Blue's allergies and also because I really need him and Wellie to be at around 58-60lbs.

If I did though, I'd try coconut oil (Blue hated the salmon oil) but like you, I wouldn't give it every day, and I'd watch the fat content in other supplements.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel ended up with pancreatitis. The inflammation caused certain liver enzymes to increase. Pancreatitis caused by too much fat in diet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.