HELP resident bulldog HATES new bulldog

AngiesMommy

Dec 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Angie
My 2 yr old bully Angie has been with us for a long time. We recently got her AI'd so if it took, she will be 3.5wks pregnant. A friend knew someone rehoming a bulldog and we offered to take her. Angie is usually great with other dogs. The neighbor dog comes over all the time to play and we take her to the dog park a lot when weathers nice. The new dog Scarlett is a 3y/o female and is the sweetest thing ever. But Angie viciously tried to jump on her, barking and trying to bite her when she walked into our home. We tried walking them together through the neighborhood, playing with them outback, and keeping them separated in crates. Still they bark and try to fight. And I don't want to risk Angie losing her babies if she is pregnant. I'm so overwhelmed. It's only been one night, we got her late last night.
Does anyone have any advice on what to do? Is it a lost cause? I hope not because I would hate to rehome her all over again. Please help.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well I've only dealt w/one pregnant bully, but now would NOT be the time to add another dog to your home. Bella was a hormonal mess, and she became super "bitchy" over any changes. I would highly advice keeping them separated during this time… I will tag other members that have more experience w/pregnant females.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have not dealt with a pregnant female, but I have introduced a new adult male into my home with an established dominant male bully. I had to introduce them outside of the home first. I read that you did this, how did your female react on the walk? Now when you brought them into the house together, did you let your female into the home first? this is important because your established female will feel threatened if she thinks the new female is trying to take over her territory. Secondly, I would keep them separated by a kiddie gate that they can see each other through so they can get used to the smell and presence of each other. One clue that they are acclimating is the established dog will turn her body sideways to the gate instead of staring head on at the other. this can take up to a good month. Do not rush this process or you will be back to square one. once they are acclimated to your satisfaction, I would slowly introduce them in harnesses and leashed so you can control their contact with each other. You MUST pay careful attention to body language at all times. If see any rigid body language, you must correct this immediately. You can redirect with a stern NO and give the offending dog a tug on the leash. Also watch for any head on staring. This means a fight is coming soon. Same correction can be done. A stern NO STARING, and a tug on the leash. No toys should be available at this time for either dog. This just gives them a reason to try to exert dominance. I also went as far as removing bedding or anything I thought my dominant guy would try to guard. I really went back to basics because I really wanted my guys to get along and believe me, I really did not think it would. I even called the rescue in tears on night telling her my sweet rescue boy Frankie had to go back because I could not take it anymore. Thank god she talked me down and I kept trying and now they are really good buddies. I'm not going to lie to you, it was a month and a half of hell, but in the end it was all worth it. The most important thing is knowing your existing dog and being able to read both dogs body language. If for some reason they get into a real fight, do not try to pull them apart any where near their heads, you will get bit. Instead, grab one of the dogs by their back legs and walk back wards. This puts the dog off balance and makes them release. Good luck. Post any further question you may have.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have not dealt with a pregnant female, but I have introduced a new adult male into my home with an established dominant male bully. I had to introduce them outside of the home first. I read that you did this, how did your female react on the walk? Now when you brought them into the house together, did you let your female into the home first? this is important because your established female will feel threatened if she thinks the new female is trying to take over her territory. Secondly, I would keep them separated by a kiddie gate that they can see each other through so they can get used to the smell and presence of each other. One clue that they are acclimating is the established dog will turn her body sideways to the gate instead of staring head on at the other. this can take up to a good month. Do not rush this process or you will be back to square one. once they are acclimated to your satisfaction, I would slowly introduce them in harnesses and leashed so you can control their contact with each other. You MUST pay careful attention to body language at all times. If see any rigid body language, you must correct this immediately. You can redirect with a stern NO and give the offending dog a tug on the leash. Also watch for any head on staring. This means a fight is coming soon. Same correction can be done. A stern NO STARING, and a tug on the leash. No toys should be available at this time for either dog. This just gives them a reason to try to exert dominance. I also went as far as removing bedding or anything I thought my dominant guy would try to guard. I really went back to basics because I really wanted my guys to get along and believe me, I really did not think it would. I even called the rescue in tears on night telling her my sweet rescue boy Frankie had to go back because I could not take it anymore. Thank god she talked me down and I kept trying and now they are really good buddies. I'm not going to lie to you, it was a month and a half of hell, but in the end it was all worth it. The most important thing is knowing your existing dog and being able to read both dogs body language. If for some reason they get into a real fight, do not try to pull them apart any where near their heads, you will get bit. Instead, grab one of the dogs by their back legs and walk back wards. This puts the dog off balance and makes them release. Good luck. Post any further question you may have.

^^^ GREAT POST!!!

I can only add that if she is indeed pregnant, you've brought a stranger into her territory/den/nest and she likely knows she's expecting. She's already protecting her domain and that's normal even without gestation. Factor in hormone activity from either being pregnant or coming off heat cycle , either way she's going to be bitchy and extremely concerned about her place.

OP
A

AngiesMommy

Dec 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Angie
Thanks so much for all the advice. I just called the best dog trainer in our area. It's not cheap but I'm hoping when she comes out today, she can help us reach a decision on what to do.
One last question for you experts:
so besides Angie the bulldog, I have one senior pug that is very old and reaching the end. I would hate to only have one dog forever when he passes on. My question is, If it is just Angie being possessive and not getting along with new dogs, do you think it would be possible to keep one of her pups here with her? If she raises her own puppy, will she still be territorial when it's an adult still in her home? If that's my only chance of getting a second bully here to live with her, id love to try it. Has anybody had experience with anything like that?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, bad timing on bringing in a new bully, especially an other female. As others have said, she is pregnant and hormones are going crazy right now. If you want to keep the new bully, kep them separated for now, except when you go on walks, as long as they walk well together, and maybe time will cure them.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.