YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Hey all,

Just got the word tonight that we have been able to adopt our newest family member, and I've been trying to figure out the right size crate for him. He's on the smaller size, as he was surrendered because the family who had him couldn't afford to feed him, or so they said. He's about 40lbs now, but errs on the smaller side of EBDs. They think he is 5 years old, but I believe he is younger than that. I'm looking at getting a 36x24x27 sized crate, does that sound about right?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
We went by weight. Our Jewel is 60 lbs and Bentley is 45lbs and have crates this size. They can lay down and move around.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have a smaller bully as well and we use the same size crate that you uave listed and it works just fine. It was huge when she was a wee little pup but now it is perfect for her.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
We went by weight. Our Jewel is 60 lbs and Bentley is 45lbs and have crates this size. They can lay down and move around.

That's how I got the dimensions above, by weight. Thanks!

I have a smaller bully as well and we use the same size crate that you uave listed and it works just fine. It was huge when she was a wee little pup but now it is perfect for her.

Reassuring, thank you! Pulled the trigger last night. I read wire crates are better BC of more visibility, and air circulation.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Yes I like the wire crates the best. Our crates are huge as my boys are 62lbs each. They should always be able to stand up and have room still from the top and they should be able to move freely, turn around completely, and back to front some. Brutus had a smaller crate when he was a pup and graduated to the one he is in now. Frankie was rescued at the age of 2 and the size of crate that came with him makes me cry. He couldn't even move. He got a bigger one immediately.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Yes I like the wire crates the best. Our crates are huge as my boys are 62lbs each. They should always be able to stand up and have room still from the top and they should be able to move freely, turn around completely, and back to front some. Brutus had a smaller crate when he was a pup and graduated to the one he is in now. Frankie was rescued at the age of 2 and the size of crate that came with him makes me cry. He couldn't even move. He got a bigger one immediately.

It's hard to gauge size in prep. I've met him twice now, but he's certainly small for the breed. AKC says healthy weight is 45, but he's underweight, regardless of what anybody says. I would hate to have to re order, but I think I nailed it first time around!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm sure the one you get will be great! I can't wait to see pics of your new baby!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How aesome.... thank you for giving him a brand new loving home! we have the 36 inch and Banks was 60lb and was in it and comfortable without issue

Members online

No members online now.