Stairs

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Hey guys at what age did your EB's start climbing up and down stairs?

My little guy is almost 3.5 months now. He can climb up stairs no problem, but he's terrified of going down stairs. Tried the treat on the steps thing to encourage him but he just starts whining lol. He'll only climb down if he's on the last step and even then he's not very graceful (kinda leaps a little instead of 'step' down).

Is he too young right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lubo25

Oct 21, 2014
Country
Northern Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
charlie
We got ours at 4 months n he couldnt come downstairs but about a week then he'd it mastered n about 3 weeks he was able to jump up onto our bed and the satee

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Spend time on the steps. Don't force him. Have some playtime on the steps....he will get it. It is scary..they are top heavy and they know it.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Give him time. My puppy got the confidence to go up and down in like 5 mos.

I cringe however whenever he goes full speed. So now I put a partition on the stairs to discourage him from going up and down.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I am not a fan of stairs with our girls so we have them blocked off. We have a spiral staircase that goes to the deck on top of the house and it is so steep them would definitely hurt themselves so we have blocked that off from the girls.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i would not force it.... he will just one day take the steps without thinking of it. Our boy, Nitschke was afraid of gong down steps too... then one day he just did and never looked back

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
curly was about 6-7 months before he mastered stairs. Going down wasn't a problem, going up was. A lot of patience and treats.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella is 11 weeks and she is great with going up, if a little hesitant at the start. She hasn't tried to go down yet. I always carry her down, as I'm just not sure she wouldn't fall.

OP
slowly

slowly

Nov 8, 2014
Country
en_Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman
Norman just went down three steps by himself a couple days ago. Big day! He's four months now. Still too scared to go down full set of stairs. Baby steps [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I actually had to teach Matilda to go downstairs! She refused on her own. What I did was get a treat (we used very small pieces), coerce her to the edge of the step, and carefully helped her put one paw down at a time, kind of half carrying her down. Then she got the treat. We did this the whole way down the stairs and by the last one she did it, very slowly and carefully, on her own! :) Good luck!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I actually had to teach Matilda to go downstairs! She refused on her own. What I did was get a treat (we used very small pieces), coerce her to the edge of the step, and carefully helped her put one paw down at a time, kind of half carrying her down. Then she got the treat. We did this the whole way down the stairs and by the last one she did it, very slowly and carefully, on her own! :) Good luck!

I ended up doing something similar with Bella. I sat on the stairs with her and I walked her little footsies down each step. LOL

It took only one time. Since then, she's been going down pretty comfortably.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online