Has anyone tried the Sleepypod Clickit Safety Harness for car use?

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
I read about it (and the poor performance of other tested safety harnesses) at: The Best Seat Belts For Your Dog - Forbes

We are driving half-way across the country for the holidays and had planned to get a hammock and seatbelt harness but now I wonder if we should just get this safety harness.

If you've tried it, did it fit your bully well? I am not sure the collar portion would be so comfortable and it is not clear to me whether the dog can lie down with this on, which would be important for a road trip, although not for regular car rides around town.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never heard of this one... best way is to crate them but if you decide to get one let us know how it is

OP
M

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Our crate is too big for the back seat, although we could get a smaller one. I will update if we decide to get it. We are traveling in just a few days so might just go with the hammock and tether for this trip in case the Sleepypod does not fit.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have a leash that i have made smaller with a few sailor knots that we loop through the seat belt and attach it to her harness that only give her enough room to sit, stand and pass out. It has worked really well.

OP
M

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
So we didn't have time to order the Sleepypod harness but we did try this Kurgo tether with her regular Julius K9 IDC harness. The tether seemed to work ok but she managed to get out of her harness multiple times even after we adjusted it. The tether also got excessively twisted up due to her efforts to move around. So we stopped using it as her wriggling out of the harness seemed like it had potential to cause injury.

Obviously the Julius walking harness is not meant for seatbelt restraint as the thin strap across the chest would likely mean greater injury in an accident (Pressure = Force / Surface Area, so a bigger area really reduces the pressure impact of forces).

However, she also got out of the harness (again, despite it being as tight as we could reasonably make it) during an altercation with another dog at a restaurant so we're now in the market for a both a seatbelt harness and a new walking harness. She is between sizes and the larger size recommended by the company seems to cut into her shoulders as seen below (tho' it looks worse in real life). She now runs when I go to apply the harness, although she did not mind it when we first got it.

julius harness.jpg

We also used this Solvit Sta-Put Deluxe Hammock Pet Seat Cover with her blankie, which worked pretty well to protect the seats and keep her from falling behind the seats, which has been a major problem in the past. I anticipate future need for repair of the stitching straps that wrap around the seat head cushions, but we really liked this product for the total 5000 miles we drove with it.

CMCLAIRE

Jul 2, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Untitled.jpg

I know this thread is old, but this is our guy with the Sleepy Pod Clickit Sport. Its the newer version of the Clickit Utility and is more user friendly and lighter. This was taken the very first ride with it when Bowser was 6 months old, and has plenty of room for growth.

It keeps him stationary, but he can sit up or lie down. He seems pretty content with it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 92538

I know this thread is old, but this is our guy with the Sleepy Pod Clickit Sport. Its the newer version of the Clickit Utility and is more user friendly and lighter. This was taken the very first ride with it when Bowser was 6 months old, and has plenty of room for growth.

It keeps him stationary, but he can sit up or lie down. He seems pretty content with it.
Wow! what a cutie!!! :heartsign:

KatieToth

Julius-K9 Sales Representative
Jun 7, 2015
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Noah Jack
We use our Julius harness as our car harness. I purchased the seatbelt attachment part, and that is how it connects. I think it is so much safer than just having them all around in the car.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.