Purchasing an English Bulldog is the cheapest part of ownership!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I completed my taxes this year, and I also wanted to see exactly how much I spend on my dogs this year. As many of you know, I am very OCD and like organization and stuff. So I literally made separate categories for each of the following when I entered all my receipts into Quicken.

The numbers are shocking, considering I did not take my dogs to the vet very often. The worst was Tidus's eye and Yuna's weird hair loss. These were nothing to do with genetics, my dogs are healthy. They were more of random flukes. Imagine if they came from a puppy mill and had severe health issues? Now don't forget, I do have 5 bulldogs and some of the cost was Molly having Yuna and Tidus, which included a whelping box, medical supplies, ect.

Total Dog Food & Supplies (shampoo, medical supplies, crates, toys, treats, leashes, harness, collars, beds, ect.): $5,572.93 :eek:
Veteranary Services: $3,065.78
AKC Documents: $164.00

I just want to note they are worth every penny!!! :luv:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Wow! But like you said there is 5 so that is understandable. Because of Samsons little toy swallowing accident this was an expensive year for me! My insurance covered more than half but I still spent $1000 of my own money on it plus everything else. I was just thinking about that when I picked Samson's allergy meds up on Saturday, I spend $270 a year on his allergy medicine alone! But I agree 100%, they are worth EVERY penny!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
What I am totally amazed at is that you keep these kind of records.:p Divided by 5 tho, those figures aren't all that high. Considering Gracie has only ruled us since August we spent more on her vet than you did for each dog. She is very healthy but we had a hernia fixed where her previous vet botched her c section. Vet also charged close to 200 to have her teeth cleaned. Was it worth it? Let me think about that... LOL ;) :luv::luv::luv:

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well, hubby is a contractor so I have to enter each reciept of each dollar we spend throughout the year. Every transaction. It only takes a minute to figure out the taxes paid if I got something at a store, and to separate that particular item. I figured it would be interesting to know.

What I may do next year is see how much I spend on toys, kids clothes and video games..... naaaaah, I think I don't WANT to know!

Hmmm..... but I may see how much we spend on beer for the hubby... :p

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well, hubby is a contractor so I have to enter each reciept of each dollar we spend throughout the year. Every transaction. It only takes a minute to figure out the taxes paid if I got something at a store, and to separate that particular item. I figured it would be interesting to know.

What I may do next year is see how much I spend on toys, kids clothes and video games..... naaaaah, I think I don't WANT to know!

Hmmm..... but I may see how much we spend on beer for the hubby... :p

LOL I don't even want to know how much we spend on beer! My mom does that same thing, she gets some report from her bank that breaks down where her money was spent. My mom is a frugal woman at heart (which is where I get it) but she splurges on some things like getting her nails done. She doesn't go to an expensive place but she goes regularly and she was all disturbed at the end of last year to see EXACTLY how much she spent there LOL

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Bulldogs are worth every $ they cost. Now my husband...,not so much. I told him he couldn't leave his gloves on the kitchen counter because the cat was knocking them down and it was just a matter of time until Ruggles ate one (Mack wouldn't eat it; he would run around and show it off and play catch me if you can). I even suggested some cat proof places for his gloves. But it happened, Ruggles ate part of a glove. I was asleep when my husband found Rugs with the half eaten glove or I'd have had that boy in for an after hours forced puke. It is somewhere on the way through, not in his stomach. He is pooping fine and eating as usual but it hasn't come through yet. Time will tell.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Holy :poo:! That's a lotta money! I'd rather not know how much I've spent! :)

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have to agree with [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION], don't you know "ignorance is bliss? :lol: I should do that for this year so I can show my husband how much his cigarettes cost! He smokes outside, not in the house, but it's a very expensive habit!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I agree with the above ignorance is bliss, I have no idea what I spend a year, since it is a new year maybe I will keep track this year. So far since Jan. 1st. $62 on food, $43.00 on Heartguard chewables (but that is a 6 months supply)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online