Bratty Bed Time Behavior

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
For the past week or so, every night when it's time to go to bed, Bocephus starts throwing a fit - like a toddler.
He will bark incessantly, crawl under my bed, lay on top of my body, jump on the bed......
I initially thought it was because he hadn't finished all his business outside so I keep taking him back out but he just stares at me. He's perfectly fine as long as I am not trying to sleep or laying down.
This goes on for HOURS every night now. He's fed, he's happy, he has toys - he's being a brat.
Eventually, every night - usually around 2 am, I have to take him to the area between the garage and laundry room (his place that is used for time outs) and he'll lay down and go to sleep. No more barking.

So my question is, do you think that he just wants to start sleeping in there????
I can't let him have free roam of the house at night - he ripped up my new pillows for the couch when I tried the first night.
I feel bad keeping him in the "time out" area for so long. I feel like a bad Mom

I am getting him a nice new bed for that area just in case this pattern continues.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Has there been a change in his activity level? Maybe he isn't tuckered out enough lately? Ruckus does this once in awhile when he just isn't tired like I am.

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Has there been a change in his activity level? Maybe he isn't tuckered out enough lately? Ruckus does this once in awhile when he just isn't tired like I am.
Really nothing different. The only thing that's changed in the last few weeks is that we got new living room furniture, maybe he's getting better rest during the day......
I'm going to try to start really tiring him out before bed. I like him to be where I can see and hear him at night

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
I know this is a long shot, but could it be that he is reacting to the new living room furniture? I have little experience with this, but I read that dogs often have a hard time with redecoration and remodeling and it is best to let the dog witness the redecorating process if at all possible.

I recently brought in a bunch of items to temporarily store on our sunporch. Buttercup watched me carry every single thing but still seemed weirded out and confused even a day later until she had a chance to fully sniff and explore the room changes. I also notice I wear clothes she has never smelled she has to give them a good concerned sniff.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Really nothing different. The only thing that's changed in the last few weeks is that we got new living room furniture, maybe he's getting better rest during the day......
I'm going to try to start really tiring him out before bed. I like him to be where I can see and hear him at night

could be the new furniture is freaking him out.... but try the tiring him out and see if it helps.

update --- didn't you just recently move?

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
could be the new furniture is freaking him out.... but try the tiring him out and see if it helps.

update --- didn't you just recently move?

Christine,
We did move in October - new state, new house. But he'd seemed to have gotten the run of the house so I'm not sure - it could be a delayed reaction. He seems perfectly content sleeping in his "time out" area - maybe it's taking the place of his kennel as his happy place.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Christine,
We did move in October - new state, new house. But he'd seemed to have gotten the run of the house so I'm not sure - it could be a delayed reaction. He seems perfectly content sleeping in his "time out" area - maybe it's taking the place of his kennel as his happy place.

very well could be.... can you place a baby gate at the door and make it his kennel and then once he is trustworthy remove the gate?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like it's a game he has taught you, something he probably enjoys doing and has made it a part of his routine. My bulldogs always do this to me without me realizing it! The only way I've overcome it was to break the routine, usually involving food!

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
very well could be.... can you place a baby gate at the door and make it his kennel and then once he is trustworthy remove the gate?

Sounds like it's a game he has taught you, something he probably enjoys doing and has made it a part of his routine. My bulldogs always do this to me without me realizing it! The only way I've overcome it was to break the routine, usually involving food!

I've been putting up a gate so that he's not wandering around the house while I'm sleeping. Sometimes I think he acts up just so he can go in that area. I think it's a game too Lisa, he'll actually jump on the bed and he knows that get's him put in time out - not just jump up onto the bed but get up there and jump straight up in the air while barking like there is no tomorrow. It's really funny

Diego1011

Jun 26, 2014
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Diego
Omg. Diego was doing the same thing the other night. He stopped when I let him in with our other bully Lulu. She is still a puppy so I have her sleeping in the crate.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
if you make the time out spot comfy for sleeping where will he go for time outs? It's a trick! lol

I work half days on fridays so I will go home and go back to sleep at lunch time and Nigel got used to this so last friday I went home but didn't go back to bed and he did look at me from upstairs and bark at me as if to say 'hey get up here at let's take our nap!' I was like what the heck - it's like I'm the kid and being told to go to bed and I don't wanna! At night he's ready for bed by 8pm and there I go having to tuck us all in just cause he says so ugh! lol He's just so happy cause he'll suckle his toy for a bit before actually going to sleep and karly will chew her bone - i'm the one forced to lay down and just watch tv. Hmph! The price of being a bully mom! ok secretly I love it but dont' tell Nigel that!

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
if you make the time out spot comfy for sleeping where will he go for time outs? It's a trick! lol

I work half days on fridays so I will go home and go back to sleep at lunch time and Nigel got used to this so last friday I went home but didn't go back to bed and he did look at me from upstairs and bark at me as if to say 'hey get up here at let's take our nap!' I was like what the heck - it's like I'm the kid and being told to go to bed and I don't wanna! At night he's ready for bed by 8pm and there I go having to tuck us all in just cause he says so ugh! lol He's just so happy cause he'll suckle his toy for a bit before actually going to sleep and karly will chew her bone - i'm the one forced to lay down and just watch tv. Hmph! The price of being a bully mom! ok secretly I love it but dont' tell Nigel that!

It's funny how much we do to keep them happy. Bocephus has continued to want to sleep in the hallway to the garage. I got him a new bagel bed and he LOVES it so I guess this will be our new routine - until he decides to change it.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online