Christina Stevens

Nov 11, 2014
I have been feeding Sir. Bentley 3 times per day for a total of 1 1/2 cups total. He is currently 14 weeks old. I had him to the vet today and he currently weighs 13 pounds and now my vet tells me that is to much. Feed him twice per day and only a total of 1 cup per day.
I have looked on the bag of food and it stats for up to 15 lbs 12-16 weeks feed 2-2 1/2 cups per day. I just don't see how 1 cup is going to be enough. I currently feed him Nutro Chicken and Rice and he seems fine with it no problems, but I still think he isn't getting enough. I hate to starve the poor guy. Any thoughts??

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
The best way to judge the right amount of food to feed is by their poo and if they still have a waist or not. If their poo is runny or super soft then cut back a bit until it firms up as well as if they are losing their waist you cut back. All pups are different in the amounts they need based up on how active or inactive they are. Many people feel 1 cup 3 times a day until they are 6 months of age then cut back to 1 cup twice a day from there on. We have only fed 1 cup twice a day since we got our baby as anymore than that she has explosive poo, but she also gets several healthy treat like fruits and veggies throughout the day.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm struggling with this, too. Bella is 10 weeks old and I mostly feed her two times a day for a total of one cup (like your vet said). It feels like too little, but her poo is soft and she has a waist.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
at 14 weeks ? I think 3 cups is about right till they are like 6 months old... as Todd stated.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Definitely feed three times a day for a pup that young, and as long as your baby isn't overweight, as in no waist, then I would feed the same amount you are feeding and increase as he gets older. As the others have said, once they get around 6 months of age, you can switch to twice a day, and even put them on adult food at that time.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I agree, 3 cups until about 6 months and then you can gauge it. When Ruckus was a puppy I have him one cup of food, three times per day and if he paused in eating and started doing other things I generally picked up his food so not to over feed him. Sometimes vets aren't so familiar with bulldogs. The vet I initially tried also told me to feed Ruckus less, but I didn't....and switched vets...she swore bulldogs top out at 45/50 pounds...I said some yes but not all. Ruckus was a chubby puppy but leaned out as he grew.

Most Reactions