Is it OK to feed them once a day ??

lcordero24

Mar 29, 2014
Right now I'm feeding my bulldogs two times a day and I'm considering to feed them only once but I don't know if it's good for them or if it can affect them. Right now I'm feeding them one cup in the morning and one in the afternoon. They're a little over the year. Any comments or help on the topic will be appreciated. Thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I also feed twice a day.... same amount too, 1 cup AM/PM

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Same here, twice a day, one cup each time. Feeding times, 7a and 7p for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
I have a few pups that eat once a day (my puppy mill rescue and one my one boy - They only like eating once). I have a backyard breeder rescue girl that eats twice a day and I have a disabled boy that eats whenever he wants (until his dish is empty - not very often). So we go with whatever works the best with them.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse will only eat once a day even thou he is given food twice a day and I am lucky he eats every day now.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I like to feed twice a day. I think brutus needs it more than frankie does though. Brutus will spit up stomach junk if he goes too long Without breakfast. Frankie can go until dinner time no problem.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I feed twice a day and it seems to work well. I'm trying to work to free feeding without him gorging himself

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I have fed Ace once a day since he was about a year old. He does get some relatively light treats first thing in the morning but the bulk of his food comes in the one evening meal. It hasn't hurt him one bit. He is quite a bit larger than the breeder estimated he would be at maturity. The breeder said to expect about 15" and 55 pounds. Ace is about 16 and a half inches and weighs 74 pounds. So obviously the feeding schedule is not hurting him. He is in excellent health as well and has plenty of drive

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
My girls get fed twice a day; Amber is rather large weighing in at 64 pounds and Ruby is much smaller than Amber weighing in at 47 pounds. Same mom and dad but different litters and absolutely different body built. Ruby sometimes eats both times in the day and other times she only eats her morning food.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this, as every bully is different and everyone's daily schedules are different. Some bullies eat once a day and do well with this schedule and others like my Dozer will throw up if he doesn't eat twice a day. I find that if they are fed only once a day it's a long 24 hours before they eat again and that can also cause tummy upsets due to being hungry, some bullies will throw up. Having said that every dog is different and some will do fine with once a day feedings and can eat 2 cups of kibble all at once, instead of divided, also some people have work hours that don't accommodate twice a day feedings, and once a day feedings work better for them. You can try once a day feedings and see how your dog does and if he does well with no issues and this works better for you, then it's fine, you will know what schedule works best for your dog.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Unless your bullie doesn't want to eat more than once, I'd stick to twice. I think it's easier on their stomach (less acid and reflux) when they eat more than once a day.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball gets fed once a day in the morning. He will get treats throughout the day plus he gets a bananna every night before bed. He won't go to sleep unless he gets his bedtime bananna

Diego1011

Jun 26, 2014
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Diego
I also feed mine twice a day about a cup each feeding.

OP
lcordero24

lcordero24

Mar 29, 2014
Thanks a lot guys !!! After reviewing carefully your comments I think I'll keep em eating twice a day. Spartacus did had acid reflux while puppy and Lara tends to throw up and eat it if she's hungry. Thanks for your advices.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online