Blue and Wellie heading to the hospital today..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you.

Blue came out a little while ago. He's not fully awake yet, but the vet said he did fine. @2BullyMama she checked his palate and he doesn't need a second procedure (thank god), nothing grew back.
So he's now neutered and his nares are done.

Wellie just went in. She said his palate is extremely elongated. She stressed a few times how bad it was. His saccules are also everted so those are also going to get done along with his nares and neuter.

Now I'm waiting for the call about Wellie, and I want to make sure Blue's completely awake from the anesthesia. I don't think they remove the tube until the dog literally starts to spit it out.

Wow... he has it all, Wellie --- Nitschke was like that, he had four issues that were addressed for his breathing. Wait till you see the energy he has when all healed up... OH boy!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
"Wait till you see the energy he has when all healed up... OH boy!" :yes:
Better take your energy shots @BlueberrysMom All my rowdy friends have woken up!!!! :happy2::2thumbs:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad to hear Blue's went well, Wellie is going to be a whole new bully after this is over!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sending you guys love, hugs and prayers that their surgeries go well, and that they have quick and easy recoveries.
It's going to feel like forever today, and it's easy to say don't worry, their in good hands, but you will worry. I'm sure they'll be fine and back home before you know it. Please keep us posted on how they're doing.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Sending good, healing vibes to your boys!!

I'm curious, so forgive me if I'm being nosy.. I thought i read that you would not have your dogs neutered (or at least for the more conventional reasons)? Can i ask what changed your mind?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thank you.

Blue came out a little while ago. He's not fully awake yet, but the vet said he did fine. @2BullyMama she checked his palate and he doesn't need a second procedure (thank god), nothing grew back.
So he's now neutered and his nares are done.

Wellie just went in. She said his palate is extremely elongated. She stressed a few times how bad it was. His saccules are also everted so those are also going to get done along with his nares and neuter.

Now I'm waiting for the call about Wellie, and I want to make sure Blue's completely awake from the anesthesia. I don't think they remove the tube until the dog literally starts to spit it out.

Glad to hear that Blue is doing well… sending prayers for Wellie!!! I agree w/the others, try to stay busy today & keep us posted!!! ;)

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
He's been under for over an hour now and still no call.. this shouldn't be taking so long.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He's been under for over an hour now and still no call.. this shouldn't be taking so long.

EASY.... sometimes, they go from one right to another and they will call you a little later

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
He's been under anesthesia for two hours and still no call. I know this because they call as soon as he comes out of surgery. I don't think it's supposed to take this long.

I guess I'm very nervous when it comes to Wellie because of the palate issue and because he had an inflamed trach a few weeks ago. It's just too easy for things to go wrong with his procedures..
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] trying to stay calm but it's difficult..

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Sending good, healing vibes to your boys!!

I'm curious, so forgive me if I'm being nosy.. I thought i read that you would not have your dogs neutered (or at least for the more conventional reasons)? Can i ask what changed your mind?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Hi Jen, I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner.. my head's all over the place this morning.

If I only had Blue, I wouldn't neuter. But because we now have Wellie, I'm a little more cautious about having two intact males in a city where everyone has a dog and many females are not spayed. I've ran into quite a few. It can turn into a very volatile situation that I'd rather avoid.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
trying to stay calm but it's difficult..

totally understand.... if roles were reversed I'd be just like you and you would be me. he is going to be just fine!!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So first, thank you everyone. Your prayers, and positive thoughts have definitely helped.

Wellie's doing fine (now). Turns out, he has an "aversion" to anesthesia. Instead of waking up slowly, he woke up instantly and tried to bolt. Winded up pulling out his catheter, and causing a wound at the site.
He also opened up the wound in his mouth/throat and caused bleeding there as well.

They gave him a light sedative to calm him down and he's resting peacefully now. They're going to keep him in recovery for a few more hours to make sure he's ok.

Blue was already moved out of recovery, and into a "hospital room" where they'll monitor him until tomorrow.

She said Wellies palate was one of the worst cases she's ever seen. That says a lot when it's coming from a vet that does this day in and day out.

Just another example of the kind of issues puppy mill dogs have.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.