Potty training Maximus

TNNoles14

Dec 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I know hes only 3 months old. But I feel like hes a slow learner. Hes been pretty consistent. Some of the mistakes is my fault not reading him right. My labrador pup has been easy, hes 3 months old as well. But Maximus doesnt seem get the idea I'm potty training him. Ive caught several times by raising my voice but he didnt seem to get it. Are Bullies slow learners? I do have him in the crate almost 2 times a day. Only when I go workout and bedtime. Im very patient with him though.

TNNoles

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Bullies are very smart. At his age he needs to be going out every 2 to 3 hours day and night. Shortly after eating and play sessions as well.

OP
T

TNNoles14

Dec 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hes been here over a month and I don't know if he understands it yet.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It takes time. Some longer than others and even then some will regress around 6 or 8 months.

OP
T

TNNoles14

Dec 2, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thanks Marine91

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Lots of praise when he goes outside and he will learn fast. They aim to please!

If they go indoors I do not scold them, instead I clean up the mess and pretend cry and whimper, letting them know I don't like it. Bulldogs are like humans and respond better to human emotions better than general commands.

With this method they understand that when he goes outside, you're happy. When he goes inside, you're sad.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh yes! as [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] say-praise,praise, and don't forget the TREATS!! That really worked for mine. -and yes they usually have a set back just when you let yourself think "they GOT it!" Be prepared............

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball took some time to housebreak!!! He got the poop thing right away, but peed in the house often. Nothing worked for me but time. By 6 months he was good.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Canelo got it at about 6 months. I was so frustrated because he would be playing, stop, look at me and just start peeing. I'd tell him no, you go outside and would put him on his leash and take him outside. He would usually poop when we'd go out. I'd give him lots of praise and carried bite size treats and give him one. Since then, he's our best baby and goes outside. Now how he communicates going outside I had to really pay attention to him because he doesn't bark, make any sound, he goes to the door and stands like a statue. I ask if he wants to go outside and he stays there, I open the door he goes out and I still say "good boy" to this day. Be patient, talk to him and he'll come along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Miss Lola

Sep 25, 2014
Maple Ridge
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola, Floyd
Our girl was really easy to train she is almost four months now, starting pooping outside almost immediately after getting her at 7 weeks and was pee trained shortly after. Our little boy is taking longer. We have had him for three weeks and he still wants to do all his business in the house, we had to close the crate doors during the day or else he uses them as a toilet. We are doing all of the same things with him as we did with her, taking him out lots, treats, lots of praise. They just get it at different times, just like potty training different kids. My vet also said to have some patience with the little boys.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
You are on the right track. One thing I noticed is that when I placed a pillow inside Ace's crate, he would pee there. Ace was a lil stubborn with pottie training. Carpets were his weakness, lol. I actually removed the center carpet of our living room to continue training him. He finally got it at 6 months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace was potty trained in 7 to 10 days, I can't remember exactly but 10 days or less. He is over 2 years old and has never had one accident in the house, except for the couple of times he had diarrhea in his crate when we were not at home. We also have a neutered Maltese that is over 4 years old and he use to mark on rare occasions in the home and Ace has never marked behind him in the home either. Ace will mark behind Gabe the maltese in the yard but never in the home so far. Ace never had an accident in the home either even during his house training. The method I advocate I followed to the letter and it worked splendidly, it has worked for others as well that I have recommended it to.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I think it was between 6 and 8 months for both my girls when they were finally fully potty trained. It takes time, patience, and lots of praise and treats. Bacon bits from the bag worked great for my girls; they weren't too big but just big enough for them to get a taste. Neither of them have access to carpets in our house unless someone is right there watching them and that is more for my peace of mind verses them not being house broke.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.